Panasonic to Intro 150-inch Plasma at CES

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
So, you think that new 50" flat panel you just got for Christmas is pretty big? Think again. Trumping the previous crown holder for largest HDTV, Panasonic is set to unveil 150 inches of plasma display at the 2008 Las Vegas CES. Word of the giant screen from Matsushita, the parent company of Panasonic, comes from a report in the Japanese newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun. Last year's show had Samsung and Sharp knocking heads at the 102" and 108" respectively.

Discuss "Panasonic to Intro 150-inch Plasma at CES" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, that's insane... who really needs (or has room for) a tv that big. I would hate to see the price tag, and the power bill after using it.

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
Gaming

I imaging playing Call of Duty 4 would be an experience. No one could hide from you because even great distances on the map would be huge on this screen.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well thats all fine and dandy.... but where are the unit sizes that are in the middle... I mean come on, they go from 65" at $5-6K up to 103" at $50,000K or whatever...

I would be interested in a 70" plasma some time in the future, but will probably have to live with a 65"

Pioneer only makes a 60" and I really wanted something a touch bigger then that...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Well thats all fine and dandy.... but where are the unit sizes that are in the middle... I mean come on, they go from 65" at $5-6K up to 103" at $50,000K or whatever...

I would be interested in a 70" plasma some time in the future, but will probably have to live with a 65"

Pioneer only makes a 60" and I really wanted something a touch bigger then that...
Panasonic, the first to make a commercially available 100+" plasma, has produced a 65" plasma for a couple of years, now. They have had offerings in both 720P and 1080P. Street price for the current 1080P model is roughly 5 grand. The price on the 107" has dropped but I haven't kept up with it. As technololgy advances, the prices will catch up with your pocketbook, Warp.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
SACRILEGE! You're lucky we don't ban you! :)
You are so right... I was at work when I posted that, so I obviously wasn't thinking clearly... I should have a custom built home, and have that thing built into the wall in my theater room!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There was a display setup at Frys over Christmas - the Panasionic display truck and they had this guy in there. To be honest, whatever they had playing on it didn't look too good, but then you couldn't exactly stand 10 feet from it either :eek:

Last edited:
T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I bet it even weighs even more than I do after all the Christmas food and goodies:eek: Sure wouldn't want to try and hang that puppy! Can you say 2x10 walls with 1" diameter screws?:eek:
Edit: Just saw in the article that it weighs about 715 lbs. Maybe I could get another plate or two.

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Panasonic, the first to make a commercially available 100+" plasma, has produced a 65" plasma for a couple of years, now. They have had offerings in both 720P and 1080P. Street price for the current 1080P model is roughly 5 grand. The price on the 107" has dropped but I haven't kept up with it. As technololgy advances, the prices will catch up with your pocketbook, Warp.
I just wish they would make some more realistic sizes.. I think that projection is nice and all, but too limiting... I love my plasma's, just would like to see some offerings in the slightly above 65" size.. If they can make 103", where only businesses or rock stars will be interested in, why not mass market something in the middle ground. I guarantee they will sell... !!

Look at how well Mitsubishi has done with the 73" DLP... and off angles on that are to me are not the greatest, when you come off a Plasma... don't get me wrong here, I think they look fantastic.. :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, a DLP wont cut it if yu need off angle viewing in a room like yours. I was lucky in my set-up that all the setting is pretty straight forward. I can see my plasma when I satnd directly beside it and my DLP would look like it's turned off from that angle.
Look at how well Mitsubishi has done with the 73" DLP... and off angles on that are to me are not the greatest, when you come off a Plasma... don't get me wrong here, I think they look fantastic.. :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
So, you think that new 50" flat panel you just got for Christmas is pretty big? Think again. Trumping the previous crown holder for largest HDTV, Panasonic is set to unveil 150 inches of plasma display at the 2008 Las Vegas CES. Word of the giant screen from Matsushita, the parent company of Panasonic, comes from a report in the Japanese newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun. Last year's show had Samsung and Sharp knocking heads at the 102" and 108" respectively.

Discuss "Panasonic to Intro 150-inch Plasma at CES" here. Read the article.
What kind of power supply would you need?:eek:

majorloser

majorloser

It better come with it's own forklift and include specifications for a reinforced concrete foundation. :eek:

D

davo

Full Audioholic
The price would have to include it's own power station, right?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My last trip to Japan was in the late 1980's. One of the things I did there was to visit the technolgy fair at Tsukuba. The centerpiece of the show was an LCD screen that was easily 50 or 60 feet wide. You could see the image anywhere in the park. I wonder what that one cost.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, a DLP wont cut it if yu need off angle viewing in a room like yours. I was lucky in my set-up that all the setting is pretty straight forward. I can see my plasma when I satnd directly beside it and my DLP would look like it's turned off from that angle.

Yeah in my room, people can be spread out quite a bit, so obviously that can be a problem... don't get me wrong, I love the picture of the Mitsubishi, and would love the ability to have that as an option...

But in the future I surely hope they work harder to find something in the 70" range for Plasma for my situation. As it sits, Panasonic has the largest reasonable size available for the consumer at 65", and people snatch that thing up.

annunaki

annunaki

You are so right... I was at work when I posted that, so I obviously wasn't thinking clearly... I should have a custom built home, and have that thing built into the wall in my theater room!
More like replace a wall in your theater room ;) :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis