Microsoft Drops PlaysForSure Certification

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Microsoft is constantly changing focus in all their markets, but for Digital Media, they just can't seem to stay focused. The "PlaysForSure" certification has been around for a couple of years, and seemed like it would be a pretty good thing for portable music enthusiasts. Yes, it would be nice to know if you could buy a digital media device and actually KNOW FOR SURE that it will play your media files, even if they have DRM restrictions intact. Of course, Microsoft decided to...

Discuss "Microsoft Drops PlaysForSure Certification" here. Read the article.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Apparently they will be rebranding it as Compatible With Windows Vista, despite the fact that it will work fine on XP.

They will also pull both of their main DRM schemes for media into one brand, despite the fact that they're totally incompatible.

I still love the fact that PlaysForSure *doesn't* on the company's sole MP3 player line.

bigbangtheory

Audioholic
It's probably best that Microsoft quit while they're behind...

I have a Toshiba Gigabeat S60, which is an mp3 player branded with the "plays for sure" moniker.

After 6 months of fiddling with this device and windows media player - regardless of updates - I can confidently say that the moniker should be changed to "plays for sure, as long as God's finger is taken off the smite button."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis