PlayStation 3 Year One

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony Computer Entertainment American (SCEA) CEO Jack Tretton talks about PlayStation 3 year one:

"I don't think there's any question that there were missteps…”

Discuss "PlayStation 3 Year One" here. Read the article.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Is AH ever going to review a PS3 or just slam it without even knowing what it's capable of?

SheepStar

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is AH ever going to review a PS3 or just slam it without even knowing what it's capable of?

SheepStar
Isn't a review preceeded by a donation/loan? How does that work?

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I wouldn't call it a slam - I am reporting what the CEO of Sony North America himself had to say about his product.

Take yourself back to fall 2005 (just prior to xbox360 release). You knew Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo had a new console out.

If I told you Nintendo's would outsell Sony by Christmas 2007 - you would have laughed at me and said no way. In fact I wouldn't have made such a bold claim because I would never have believed it myself.

But it is what has come to pass my friends. One year and the console hierarchy is upside down.

I call that a failure on Sony's part - so far. But what Jack says is that he's in it for the long haul seeing PS3 as a 10 year console. High price tag and weak early sales are the price you pay. When you're a tank you move slowly but nobody can stop you when you get rolling.

I don't mean to slam PS3, give it time to build momentum. I think we haven't seen what it's capable of yet. Clearly with hits like CoD4 and Halo3 Xbox 360 is peaking today.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
A failure is the 360. It just fails. It doesn't function.

You can't fault a CONSOLE for failing, simply because it doesn't have enough titles. It seems the 360s problems go unnoticed, and unmentioned. It's a huge pile of crap.

I've played both the Wii and 360. I enjoyed both, but I can't KEEP enjoying the 360. Every pro Xbox fanboy just links the usually stupid youtube video or talks about how it's a great Blu-ray player. Yeah, it is. It's also something the 360 can't do without a 200 dollar add on.

Am I going crazy?

SheepStar

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't call it a slam - I am reporting what the CEO of Sony North America himself had to say about his product.

Take yourself back to fall 2005 (just prior to xbox360 release). You knew Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo had a new console out.

If I told you Nintendo's would outsell Sony by Christmas 2007 - you would have laughed at me and said no way. In fact I wouldn't have made such a bold claim because I would never have believed it myself.

But it is what has come to pass my friends. One year and the console hierarchy is upside down.

I call that a failure on Sony's part - so far. But what Jack says is that he's in it for the long haul seeing PS3 as a 10 year console. High price tag and weak early sales are the price you pay. When you're a tank you move slowly but nobody can stop you when you get rolling.

I don't mean to slam PS3, give it time to build momentum. I think we haven't seen what it's capable of yet. Clearly with hits like CoD4 and Halo3 Xbox 360 is peaking today.
Actually Nintendo has outsold everyone, not just Sony. Installed base for Wii is now even greater than 360 as well. And anyway 360 is just hugely popular in US, rest of the world not so much. 360 is at where its at right now because of its 1 year lead and no one can argue otherwise. Personally I think MS will end up doing a Sega and release a console every 3-4 years and that will be the end of them.

As for Nintendo, well.... It's Nintendo, it will never die!!!!! They are still one of the best development houses in the world along with Square, Capcom, Konami. And yes Bungie IMO is not at that level, no matter what everyone think of Halo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Other than the Wii, most consoles get off to a slow start. Couple that with longer development cycles for PS3 games due to a LOT more capability and the high price tag (which I'd say is justified for what you get), and you get an even slower start. The 360 didn't get off to a great start either... Yes, the PS3 costs a lot, but it DOES a lot too; What people see though is that price tag and that is problem #1, Sony knows that already.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Other than the Wii, most consoles get off to a slow start. Couple that with longer development cycles for PS3 games due to a LOT more capability and the high price tag (which I'd say is justified for what you get), and you get an even slower start. The 360 didn't get off to a great start either... Yes, the PS3 costs a lot, but it DOES a lot too; What people see though is that price tag and that is problem #1, Sony knows that already.
Exactly, the 40GB PS3 at $399 is a damn good deal IMO for what you get. The 360 is about the same and has half the features. Plus it is a lot more reliable and better build quality.

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
Exactly, the 40GB PS3 at $399 is a damn good deal IMO for what you get. The 360 is about the same and has half the features. Plus it is a lot more reliable and better build quality.
After my 360 broke Ccity sent me a $420 gift card for it. I bought a PS3, not another 360. So far even with only 1 game, 1 movie, and a few demos I am far more happy than I ever was with the 360 that I had for at least 2 years.

The Wii is still the best. I only had Wii sports and beer for nearly 1 year and enjoyed every minute of it. I've had kids that couldn't read yet, to over the hill peeps playing and enjoying it. Not to mention, nintendo is the man for under cutting everyone on price and rereleasing the game cube in a new box with a fancy remote. (pure profit anyone???)

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Wii is still the best. I only had Wii sports and beer for nearly 1 year and enjoyed every minute of it. I've had kids that couldn't read yet, to over the hill peeps playing and enjoying it. Not to mention, nintendo is the man for under cutting everyone on price and rereleasing the game cube in a new box with a fancy remote. (pure profit anyone???)
In addition, from what I understand Nintendo will make most of its old library available on the Wii- this would be one of their smartest moves since many of us who grew up with the various systems (NES, SNES) would love the opportunity to play these games again. I would personally pay to download every old Zelda and Mario game and be content playing them for months on end!

I have both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 here. I doubt I would reval anything other than my personal opinion on the products. Xbox 360 should be scolded for releasing a box with a huge failure rate, then commended for (eventually) fixing it without too much hassle... PS3 should have had more people trained and ready to deploy software.

Games look the same to me on both. I like the Xbox360 interface better and the default controller is much more compfortable to use.

Sony gets kudos for wireless networking and free online play without charging for it (except for up-front with the added hardware cost). Microsoft charges too much for online play but the cost of entry is lower...

PS3 settings and configurations are a convoluted mess to anyone who isn't dedicated to the task but they are also more flexible and robust.

Blu-ray is a bitter-sweet pilll... More cost, more functionality...

Truth is I like both, but I find the Xbox 360 more enjoyable. I'll still be pissed when I send it in next week for RROD but I won't seek a refund and go buy a PS3.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Games look the same to me on both. I like the Xbox360 interface better and the default controller is much more compfortable to use.
I personally like Sony's controller more. But, I've been using the same basic controller layout for 12 years now. The QWERTY keyboard is the only other input-device with that kind of longevity!

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
A failure is the 360. It just fails. It doesn't function.

You can't fault a CONSOLE for failing, simply because it doesn't have enough titles. It seems the 360s problems go unnoticed, and unmentioned. It's a huge pile of crap.

I've played both the Wii and 360. I enjoyed both, but I can't KEEP enjoying the 360. Every pro Xbox fanboy just links the usually stupid youtube video or talks about how it's a great Blu-ray player. Yeah, it is. It's also something the 360 can't do without a 200 dollar add on.

Am I going crazy?

SheepStarr
You can't fault a game console for not having games? Yes, that's crazy.

I think you're missing the point. The primary reason to buy a game system is to play games. And not only does it have much fewer, all the multiplatform ones play better on the other system. In many cases twice the framerate.

The blu-ray player is nice, but it's a "secondary" feature. Hell, they could have included a toaster, and that would have been nice too. But it doesn't make it a better game system.

Last edited:
P

Profcrab

Audiophyte
The PS3 is certainly ending 2007 alot better than it began it, but I don't see it as being the juggernaught that Jack wants it to be. The PS3 does not have the graphic hardware to produce any better looking games than the 360. The PS3 was supposed to initially launch 5 years after the PS2, don't expect the PS4 will be announced to release any later than that. The same with the next Xbox. With consoles today using upscaling to try and get around the fact that they just can't run today's games at the native HD resolutions and still have them look decent, the new console cycle is not going to lengthen. Maybe they think they will be selling PS3s for 10 years, but that will only be if people still want to purchase them 5 years after the PS4 comes out.

Microsoft made one slipup that almost ruined Microsoft's reputation in video game consoles but they did seem to recover from it pretty successfully. Microsoft's only ongoing weakness is their 1st party development stable which is real lean. Sony has much more invested in theirs and has made some smart acquisitions.

Personally, the hardware failures excepted, I find the features and usability of the 360 to be much more polished than the PS3. The PS3 interface is the same as what was used on the PSP. It worked well on the PSP, but the more options you add to it, the more clunky it becomes. Also, the lack of ingame access to any part of the XMB interface is a significant deficiency. Sony very hastily reworked the PS2 controller to become wireless and have motion controls after their 1st design (the boomarang device) was so heavily criticized when they first showed it. I liked the DualShock analogs when they were new but Nintendo showed a much better design for them on the Game Cube and then Microsoft took much of the same newer concepts and incorporated it into their controllers. The offset analogs just seem to feel better for most games. The only part of the DualShock design that works just fine is the D-Pad, which is not great on the 360.

Jack is quick to say that Sony's online system is free, but Sony really doesn't offer anything that it could even think of charging for. As it is, with the video games division of Sony still hemoraging cash, I am curious how hard running free servers for things like Home is going to hit them when their game software sales are still lackluster with even highly rated titles like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted pulling much lower sales numbers than expected.

It is humorous to listen to Jack talk now because he used to be one of the Baghdad Bob Sony execs who claimed everything was fine and the 360 was just trash.

The PS3 isn't going to fail, but it isn't going to take over this generation. The Wii will stay on top, the 360 in second, and the PS3 will end up 3rd, but not in the toilet. The PS3 was a misassessment by Sony of what the market would accept and how loyal their existing customers were. If you look at all the hardware revisions and new SKUs coming from Sony in 2007, they were in serious damage control mode. Their marketing department had to be reigned in, they had to hit a lower price point (even if they had to remove features across the board), and eat tremendous amounts of crow. Even though I think the PS4 team will show a little more respect for the customer (and also not come out at $600), I don't think you'll see Sony crush everyone else again like they did with the PS2.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
I have both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 here. I doubt I would reval anything other than my personal opinion on the products. Xbox 360 should be scolded for releasing a box with a huge failure rate, then commended for (eventually) fixing it without too much hassle... PS3 should have had more people trained and ready to deploy software.

Sony gets kudos for wireless networking and free online play without charging for it (except for up-front with the added hardware cost). Microsoft charges too much for online play but the cost of entry is lower...

PS3 settings and configurations are a convoluted mess to anyone who isn't dedicated to the task but they are also more flexible and robust.

Blu-ray is a bitter-sweet pilll... More cost, more functionality...

Truth is I like both, but I find the Xbox 360 more enjoyable. I'll still be pissed when I send it in next week for RROD but I won't seek a refund and go buy a PS3.
Sooooo, when IS AH going to review the PS3?

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Sooooo, when IS AH going to review the PS3?
No offense to AH, but i'd rather them stick to Speakers and Subs. All the reviews you could possibly want on the PS3 were already done...a year ago, in a lot of cases by dedicated gaming sites.

I'd rather see AH spend their time reviewing the Hsu MBM-12, or the PB13-Ultra, or the AV123 LS9. *hint* *hint*

A

alexsound

Audioholic
The PS3 is certainly ending 2007 alot better than it began it, but I don't see it as being the juggernaught that Jack wants it to be. The PS3 does not have the graphic hardware to produce any better looking games than the 360. The PS3 was supposed to initially launch 5 years after the PS2, don't expect the PS4 will be announced to release any later than that. The same with the next Xbox. With consoles today using upscaling to try and get around the fact that they just can't run today's games at the native HD resolutions and still have them look decent, the new console cycle is not going to lengthen. Maybe they think they will be selling PS3s for 10 years, but that will only be if people still want to purchase them 5 years after the PS4 comes out.

Microsoft made one slipup that almost ruined Microsoft's reputation in video game consoles but they did seem to recover from it pretty successfully. Microsoft's only ongoing weakness is their 1st party development stable which is real lean. Sony has much more invested in theirs and has made some smart acquisitions.

Personally, the hardware failures excepted, I find the features and usability of the 360 to be much more polished than the PS3. The PS3 interface is the same as what was used on the PSP. It worked well on the PSP, but the more options you add to it, the more clunky it becomes. Also, the lack of ingame access to any part of the XMB interface is a significant deficiency. Sony very hastily reworked the PS2 controller to become wireless and have motion controls after their 1st design (the boomarang device) was so heavily criticized when they first showed it. I liked the DualShock analogs when they were new but Nintendo showed a much better design for them on the Game Cube and then Microsoft took much of the same newer concepts and incorporated it into their controllers. The offset analogs just seem to feel better for most games. The only part of the DualShock design that works just fine is the D-Pad, which is not great on the 360.

Jack is quick to say that Sony's online system is free, but Sony really doesn't offer anything that it could even think of charging for. As it is, with the video games division of Sony still hemoraging cash, I am curious how hard running free servers for things like Home is going to hit them when their game software sales are still lackluster with even highly rated titles like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted pulling much lower sales numbers than expected.

It is humorous to listen to Jack talk now because he used to be one of the Baghdad Bob Sony execs who claimed everything was fine and the 360 was just trash.

The PS3 isn't going to fail, but it isn't going to take over this generation. The Wii will stay on top, the 360 in second, and the PS3 will end up 3rd, but not in the toilet. The PS3 was a misassessment by Sony of what the market would accept and how loyal their existing customers were. If you look at all the hardware revisions and new SKUs coming from Sony in 2007, they were in serious damage control mode. Their marketing department had to be reigned in, they had to hit a lower price point (even if they had to remove features across the board), and eat tremendous amounts of crow. Even though I think the PS4 team will show a little more respect for the customer (and also not come out at $600), I don't think you'll see Sony crush everyone else again like they did with the PS2.

I wouldn't be so sure about the PS3 ending up in third. Earlier this week, Reuter's reported that the PS3 outsold the Wii in Japan in November. Now that may not seem like a big deal, but the Wii was dominating sales in Japan even worse than it was here in the states. I would like to see what the sales figures look like for November and December here in the states once the Christmas dust settles.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with just about everything you said on how Sony came to market with the PS3 with all the crap they were talking. They really
ALMOST blew it, but in their own not so quiet way, they are making up for it, and I agree with what Wayde said earlier in this thread:

"Call that a failure on Sony's part - so far. But what Jack says is that he's in it for the long haul seeing PS3 as a 10 year console. High price tag and weak early sales are the price you pay. When you're a tank you move slowly but nobody can stop you when you get rolling."

"I don't mean to slam PS3, give it time to build momentum. I think we haven't seen what it's capable of yet"

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
PS3 does not have it's "Killer App" yet. Look at the PS1, I attribute it's success to the launch of one game... Final Fantasy VII. That game was the reason many people including myself bought a PS1. That was the turning point of the console war for that generation. The 360 on the other hand has had it's killer app with Halo 3 and honestly it was pretty underwhelming. Granted it sold a lot of copies but it did not move the amount of 360's that MS expected. It still did not stop the Wii from overtaking it as #1 selling console. While the 360 is king here in the US, the EU and Asia market are not the same.

Quite possibly the two most important games that will determine the fate of the PS3 arrive next year. MGS4 and FFXIII will make or break the system and determine the outcome of this console war. MS has tried to make Halo into a powerful franchise. And while it is huge, let's face it, it is not at the same level of Mario, MGS, or Final Fantasy.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
PS3 does not have it's "Killer App" yet. Look at the PS1, I attribute it's success to the launch of one game... Final Fantasy VII. That game was the reason many people including myself bought a PS1. That was the turning point of the console war for that generation.
Those were much different times. I wouldn't attribute the success of PS1 to anything besides Sega and Nintendo screwing up. Sony did make good decisions also though.

Sega didn't anticipate the 3D revolution, and as a result bolted on a couple of processors very late in the Saturn's dev cycle. The hardware was not very elegant by any means. Plus, they didn't tell *anybody* that it launched. Retailers didn't even know. This after the Sega CD and 32x nightmare.

Nintendo made two mistakes -- sticking with cartridges ($25 hard cost to developers per cartridge vs. $3 per CD) and screwing Sony. Sony developed the playstation as a CD-ROM add on for the SNES, and at the last minute, Nintendo left Sony holding the bag after development was done because they couldn't stomach letting Sony into the game business. Since Sony had experience building a system, building a more powerful one wasn't hard.

It's almost as if Sony won that war by default. The Saturn was a mess hardware wise, and publishers didn't want to risk buying cartridges for the N64. It was the #1 console long before FF7 came out...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You can't fault a game console for not having games? Yes, that's crazy.

I think you're missing the point. The primary reason to buy a game system is to play games. And not only does it have much fewer, all the multiplatform ones play better on the other system. In many cases twice the framerate.

The blu-ray player is nice, but it's a "secondary" feature. Hell, they could have included a toaster, and that would have been nice too. But it doesn't make it a better game system.
So the Console that breaks down 45% of the time is a better console because you can play games on it more?

The PS3 has games, from PS2. You can play those. It ALSO has PS3 games! REALLY?! WOW! I just read a bunch of fanboism bullsh*t from the interweb and figured it didn't have ANY games, because that's what they said.

You have to have a working console, before you can play a game. Period.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis