Christmas Shopping? Consumer Electronics are Red Hot this Holiday Season

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Prices on the hottest consumer electronics are shrinking faster than Tony Soprano’s second helping of pasta fazul. WOA! Economics experts are saying electronics are in - women’s handbags, jewelry and other luxury items are out. Merry Christmas guys!

Discuss "Christmas Shopping? Consumer Electronics are Red Hot this Holiday Season" here. Read the article.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
My pendulum is swinging the other way. I've had a banner year for AV purchases and I need to seriously consider some women's jewelery right about now.* Any jewelers on this site that can offer advice?

*not for me to wear.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
My pendulum is swinging the other way. I've had a banner year for AV purchases and I need to seriously consider some women's jewelery right about now.* Any jewelers on this site that can offer advice?

*not for me to wear.
Haha- I'm friendly with some bankers who did the deal that took Blue Nile public, and they SWEAR by the site for quality. These are guys who can afford to drop unlimited amounts of money on diamonds and jewelry, yet they will still buy stuff from the site. Check it out...

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Deniability in size 1 font! Uh huhhhh. ;)
Pre-emptive denial, like I couldn't see the direction that could go.

Haha- I'm friendly with some bankers who did the deal that took Blue Nile public, and they SWEAR by the site for quality. These are guys who can afford to drop unlimited amounts of money on diamonds and jewelry, yet they will still buy stuff from the site. Check it out...
Blue Nile seems pretty focussed on diamonds. I've been married for sixteen years and I've never bought my wife a diamond. I can't bring myself to pay for DeBoer's diamond monopoly. At least competition in the AV industry keeps prices reasonable, per the article that started this thread.

I've been looking at watches, preferably in Rose Gold but I can't seem to find much besides one at Burberry.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Jewelry online

I have also head good results with Blue Nile for higher quality diamonds. My wife got some diamond ear rings a couple years ago.

I also got some Acoya pearls from overstock last year and they looked pretty nice and were inexpensive.

Costco also sells high quality jewelry. All the usual retail stores have jewelry on sale if you are not too concerned about quality.

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
Not in Tampa Bay

I have two jobs. one for Garmin GPS and one for Texas Instruments to promote DLP projection hd tv's.
I was in 9 stores for Garmin on Friday....lots of people not lots of purchases.
Many people walking out of BB and CC without purchasing anything.
This Saturday and Sunday worked 14 hours in BB to promote DLP and sold
a total of 4 sets in two days. On Samsung 720P 50" was only $795
Jeb Bush ruined the Florida economy.
Most working people cannot afford HD TV, 75% of customers were
wealthy retired people

Or they aren't buying the more bulky rear projection sets? I believe DLP is losing ground quickly for various reasons:

- They are protecting their 3-chip market artificially. What I mean by this is that I can buy three single-chip DLP projectors for a grand total of $3000. But I cannot purchase a single 3-chip DLP projector for under $15,000.

- DLP cannot really get any smaller or more compact in size since it is not a silicon-based technology like LCD panels. This reduces its usability in portable products

- DLP is gradually leveling off in its capabilities (the last revision for example didn't do much to improve upon its former version) while LCD technology continues to advance in leaps and bounds, all but catching up in terms of black levels and interpixel spacing.

I don't want to appear biased, but DLP needs to take advantage of some of the opportunities it has instead of positioning itself as high-end. They are apparently running the Sony play book and it's finally hurting them.

A 3-chip DLP projector with lens shift under $5000 would rule the market right now as would an LED-driven model that provided a way to lower the cost of replacement bulbs.

In addition, rear projection is simply going to all but die off eventually as flat panel prices continue to fall. In rear projection DLP absolutely dominates, but the form factor is becoming less relevant as 50-inch prices plummet.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
What a thread... from diamonds to DLP.

Great discussion and good points Clint... I never knew. I sort of assumed that all the rear projection technologies are fading out as panels get cheaper.

I live in Ontario, Canada where the economy is as good as it's been in well over a decade.... arguably since post WWII. People are flocking to the US to buy electronics and clothes in particular. Warning signs loom that the party won't last long up here... the Canadian dollar should not be valued higher than the US greenback, it's just not good for our overall economy up here.

But for the time being, expect border town malls and stores to remain jammed with Canadians through Christmas... just make sure they pick up after themselves. A lot of them are buying new clothes and dumping their old. Nobody likes a polluter!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Pre-emptive denial, like I couldn't see the direction that could go.

Blue Nile seems pretty focussed on diamonds. I've been married for sixteen years and I've never bought my wife a diamond. I can't bring myself to pay for DeBoer's diamond monopoly. At least competition in the AV industry keeps prices reasonable, per the article that started this thread.

I've been looking at watches, preferably in Rose Gold but I can't seem to find much besides one at Burberry.
How on Earth did you swing that?!?! I tried using the DeBeer's argument on my wife and it didn't work. Women can't even tell you why they want diamonds, they just know that society has brainwashed them to think they have to have one.

I personally like Tanzanite. At least that stones expense makes a bit of sense to me, as it can only be found in one place on earth. But it's all a scam.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
How on Earth did you swing that?!?! I tried using the DeBeer's argument on my wife and it didn't work.
Oh, that was easy. We were poor and living together when I asked her to get married, so I just got her a plain gold band as an engagement/wedding ring. She has some diamonds, mostly gifts from her mom. I haven't bought her any nor will I, but she has bought some for herself . It helps that she know all about DeBoer's business practices, but the girl can't help it.

The other argument I used is that I got a nice diamond engagement ring for my first wife and look how that turned out.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis