Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare - XBox 360 Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Have you been murdered recently? I mean, like actually shot in the face or blown up by a nuclear holocaust? If so, then I doubt you are reading this right now. But, if you would like to experience those things without real pain or the sting of death, then you should be playing Call of Duty 4! My statement might seem a little tongue-in-cheek, but it’s closer to the truth then you can realize from just reading a review. If you have a good home theater, then your time spent with CoD4 is beyond gaming entertainment, it’s a moving emotional experience.

Discuss "Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare - XBox 360 Review" here. Read the article.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I am really looking forward to playing this game.

I won't be picking it up until I have my new TV, early Dec. I can't wait. I watch the trailer every once in awhile and boy does it blow me away.

The franchise was looking quite dull for awhile. I enjoyed the CoD series but number 3 gave me lock-up problems and I wasn't even motivated to spend time trying to fix it.

CoD4 looks like a wholesale change in the game.

Interestingly, CoD represents my personal transition from PC gaming to consoles. I played CoD on PC but the rest of the franchise was on Xbox360

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I too am excited about playing this. The demo was awesome, but I haven't had a chance to play it for real yet. I'm not sure I want to buy it, but I do want to get a gamefly account and rent it asap.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Audioholics...you punk bastards. First, you convince me that I need a new sub. Then an amp. Then another amp. And now...maybe an Xbox. :)

Now I really want to get this demo working on my PC. I ran into a DirectX error and never got it running. Perhaps today is the day that I try again.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Audioholics...you punk bastards. First, you convince me that I need a new sub. Then an amp. Then another amp. And now...maybe an Xbox. :)

Now I really want to get this demo working on my PC. I ran into a DirectX error and never got it running. Perhaps today is the day that I try again.
Perhaps today should be the day you invest in a 360 and a live gold acct. So much easier to pop the disc into your console, download the update it will probably require, and play than to constantly have to upgrade your hardware and fix stupid issues with your pc to play what you want.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps today should be the day you invest in a 360 and a live gold acct. So much easier to pop the disc into your console, download the update it will probably require, and play than to constantly have to upgrade your hardware and fix stupid issues with your pc to play what you want.
You make a compelling argument. Heck, one of my money trees in the back yard needs to be trimmed anyway. Might as well. Plus, while I'm out back, I can check if the Bud Lights are ripe.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You make a compelling argument. Heck, one of my money trees in the back yard needs to be trimmed anyway. Might as well. Plus, while I'm out back, I can check if the Bud Lights are ripe.
Very good idea indeed, the Bud Lights are always ripe for the picking. As a matter of fact, I may have to have some tonight.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic

First, you definitely need a new PC to get the demo working. Then you need a Xbox and a PS3 so you can compare each version and play the best one. Finally I would get another sub because everything sounds better with 2 subs.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
First, you definitely need a new PC to get the demo working. Then you need a Xbox and a PS3 so you can compare each version and play the best one. Finally I would get another sub because everything sounds better with 2 subs.:D
Thanks, Nick. You've been added to the list. :)

I've contemplated a new PC, but the thought of playing this on a console that is hooked up in my living room to my audio equipment...oh, baby. This review just makes me want to play it now, but anyone who knows me will know that I'm (a) too cheap and (b) too lazy to go get a system today. As for two subs, I already have them. I don't have two PC13-Ultras, though. Hmmm, the Two Towers. Tempting.

Reminds me of a quote about SVS cylinders that made me chuckle. I forget where it's from, but I didn't come up with it: One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, joking aside, I do want to thank Jim for his review!

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
It is really nice to have the game on a console. I am not trying to make you all run out and buy a 360, but the ease of use is the kicker for me.

Of course, there are several 360 versions out this Christmas. If you go for the cheaper unit with the HD, it's $350, and that comes with two games: Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8492838&st=xbxo+360&type=product&id=1186003685732
Any store has it at this price.

If you want to stand in line and love Guitar Hero, then Best Buy is having a special deal on the 360 with GH2 and a guitar for the same price. I don't think you get the 2 free games with it, however:
http://bfads.net/XBox-360-with-Guitar-Hero-Pack-at-Best-Buy

Anyway, if you go the PC route, it'll be just as good, but you might want to hook the PC into your theater! *grin*

Later all!

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
I too am excited about playing this. The demo was awesome, but I haven't had a chance to play it for real yet. I'm not sure I want to buy it, but I do want to get a gamefly account and rent it asap.
If you rent it, you'll surely have enough time to play through the single player mode. However, if you get wrapped up in the online play, then you'll really want to have your own copy. The RPG elements add that extra level of motivation to keep you playing online.

So, depending on the kind of player you are, you may or may not want to own it... *shrug*

Btw, I just watched my DVR'd copy of Chuck last night. Looks like the game is featured in Episode 109...

http://www.nbc.com/Chuck/video/episodes.shtml

Anyway...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you rent it, you'll surely have enough time to play through the single player mode. However, if you get wrapped up in the online play, then you'll really want to have your own copy. The RPG elements add that extra level of motivation to keep you playing online.

So, depending on the kind of player you are, you may or may not want to own it... *shrug*

Btw, I just watched my DVR'd copy of Chuck last night. Looks like the game is featured in Episode 109...

http://www.nbc.com/Chuck/video/episodes.shtml

Anyway...
I know, that's what I'm worried about, I'm scared I might like it more than Halo 3 and not want to play my beloved Halo 3 anymore... I'm less worried about the COD4 campaign, but I would still play it.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
I own it for my PC, bought it at gamespot and downloaded it. No problems, no hassles, and looks great. My PC is going on 2 years old now and has no problems running it with nearly every setting maxed out. Have the computer plugged into the reciever, so I get the good experience out of it.

My buddy has the Xbox version of the game, it too is also great but I'm an old timer when it comes to playing games via PC, and therefore prefer to play it there. My issue with the Xbox version is the lack of customability for online play. With the PC version, you go into multiplayer and you can take a look at the server list. Don't like the Kill Cam? With the PC version simply filter it out. Want a server with more then just 16 players? fine, find one with 50. Want a dedicated server that doesn't force you to find other users constantly, too easy.

The only real benefit I see to the Xbox/PS3 versions is that you can get whats known as prestige mode. Once you hit level 55 you can trade in your rank, and get a fancy symbol by your name, and you get to work back up from lvl 1 again. You can do this up to 10 times in the PS3 and Xbox versions, so thats technically a rank scale of 550 ranks... Not bad.

Some further thoughts about CoD4. Well, I believe that CoD4 did a wonderful job on it, but there really is so much more that could have been done with it. Take a look at PC games like BF2 for instance. Modern warfare includes the usage of vehicles, I should know, I'm in the Infantry. Games like Halo also have been using vehicles for quite some time now, so why not include these components to expand upon an already good game? How does a 3 kill streak, or a 5 kill streak, or a 7 kill streak simulate the reality of combat at all ? At 3 kills you can call in Radar, at 5 you can call in an Air Strike, and at 7 you can call in a gunship for fire support. Looking at a game like BF2 for instance, you have a more realistic balance. You have an overall commander, and then section leaders who can request artillery. CoD4 could have done something similar relatively easily.

The rank system in CoD4 is good, but simplistic, again comparing it to BF2 you gain levels, and as you gain levels you unlock weapons. CoD4's rank system offers some unique things that I think are definently better then BF2's for instance, the ideas of unlocking challenges that once completed help out a lot with your drive for experience. However, it falls short in a few things where a older game like BF2 surpasses it. You don't get to enjoy the leveling up experience as much because you don't quite get the same sort of knick knacks that you do in BF2. Campaign stars, ribbons, badges for excellence in certain categories. Nor does CoD4 track all of your multiplayer stats as well. I'm curious how many rounds I've shot on the M4, what percentage were missed, and what was head shots. I'm curious about my average lifespan, and the ratio of kills to deaths.

All in all though, its a fun game, and you wouldn't be disappointed with buying it. As to the realism of it, well, its a game. It doesn't get anywhere near close to the real thing, and that I can assure you from having been there myself. My suggestion for someone wanting to experience the real thing would be to anti-up and join the military, otherwise your going to continue to believe these games are realistic, which they are no where near it.

Airborne!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis