EMP EW30 On-Wall Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Streamlined. High Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF). These are industry buzz words to determine whether or not a particular speaker product will win big points in the aesthetics department for those looking to integrate a home theater system into their living room without hindering precious floor space or the room's décor. More often than not, people tend to compromise sound quality over looks. Enter the On-Wall EW30, EMP’s answer for streamlined high performance loudspeakers. The EW30s portyal of a wide soundstage with plenty of detail in the top end were among the best on-wall type speakers I have heard. So before you shell out big money for a compromised all in-ceiling or cubed speaker system, consider one of the new on-wall speaker systems from EMP. They look great, blend in well with today’s flat panel displays and deliver the sonic goods allowing a discerning listener with a mindful eye on aesthetics to have their proverbial cake and eat it too.

Discuss "EMP EW30 On-Wall Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

T

TOADSKI

Audiophyte
emptek speakers

I purchased these speakers 3 EW-35 for my front speakers and 4 EW-25 for my surrounds.
They sound really good I agree with the review. Any questions? :)

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
These appear to be very similar to the RBH WM-24. The WMs have four 4" aluminum drivers and the EW have two 5.25" carbon fiber drivers. I know they are both built by RBH and two different people did the reviews but what other differences are there between the two? Specifically would one be recommended over the other and why or why not?

Thanks

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The RBM WM24's are likely a better speaker overall, though they are considerably more expensive ($999/pair vs $640/pair for the EMP EW30s which will be available at our e-store soon). The RBH's are more efficient, making them an easier load for a receiver to drive at high SPL levels and also likely have better tonal balance in the midrange. But, both speakers do quite well for what they are so its really a matter of taste, aesthetics and budget.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Thanks

How would you compare WM set-up to a RBH MC bookshelf set-up for home theater use? I ask because I have been impressed with my RBH CT system and am wondering what direction I should look when the time comes to upgrade (ie when I can convince my wife).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How would you compare WM set-up to a RBH MC bookshelf set-up for home theater use? I ask because I have been impressed with my RBH CT system and am wondering what direction I should look when the time comes to upgrade (ie when I can convince my wife).
I'd always choose box speakers over onwalls (given equal designs) if you can accomodate them. The WM tower is actually quite good but I am very fond of the MC6 bookshelfs if you combine them with a good musical sub or two.

W

Wakefield103

Audiophyte
I noticed that you are selling both the EMP EW30 and the EMP EW35 in your store. Is there a noticable difference between the two? It seems like the only difference on paper is an extra 5 inches in hieght and a slightly slower frequency response for the EMP EW35.

By the way, the specs you have listed in your store for the EMP EW30 and the EMP EW35 for frequency response is wrong (you have the spec of the EMP EW25 listed for each).

T

TOADSKI

Audiophyte
I have to say listing to audio at various levels in all stereo mode there isn't any real difference in sound quality. this isn't suprising the speakers are identical and I have my subs handle anything below 80z. they do have great sound I have to say. The first time I heard them in RBH show room by the head man himself they gave me goose bumps. I havent been disapointed once since. I really put them through the paces and they could take everthing my onkyo 805 could put out in 2 ch stereo mode. (Note my onkyo reciever kept shutting down at high spl levels until I changed the receiver from 6 to 4 ohms. That solved all problems.

I noticed that you are selling both the EMP EW30 and the EMP EW35 in your store. Is there a noticable difference between the two? It seems like the only difference on paper is an extra 5 inches in hieght and a slightly slower frequency response for the EMP EW35.

By the way, the specs you have listed in your store for the EMP EW30 and the EMP EW35 for frequency response is wrong (you have the spec of the EMP EW25 listed for each).

G

gsendek

Audiophyte
geo

The RBM WM24's are likely a better speaker overall, though they are considerably more expensive ($999/pair vs $640/pair for the EMP EW30s which will be available at our e-store soon). The RBH's are more efficient, making them an easier load for a receiver to drive at high SPL levels and also likely have better tonal balance in the midrange. But, both speakers do quite well for what they are so its really a matter of taste, aesthetics and budget.
so are the emp 30's as good or better than the axiom audio w3's. As my search for wall speakers goes on, I have been looking for 2 years, and before i hack big holes in my walls that have new dry wall on them i have to make sure. I was looking for in wall speakers they are all CRAP, so i want on wall, if any one can help, thank you geo

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Night and Day

These appear to be very similar to the RBH WM-24. The WMs have four 4" aluminum drivers and the EW have two 5.25" carbon fiber drivers. I know they are both built by RBH and two different people did the reviews but what other differences are there between the two? Specifically would one be recommended over the other and why or why not?

Thanks
The EMP's are a decent, entry/mid level product, in fact I think the best part is the installation level they include that NOBODY else does. It makes them a breeze to mount in just a couple of minutes.

As for sound, there really is no comparisson at all, between RBH and the EMP onwalls, especially when it comes to price.

The EMP's sound great when balanced with a decent sub, like even the small MS8.1 from RBH. But as far as actual tonal difference, the RBH offer much better lower midrange and are much more spacious.

Mind you, when you compare price, with EMP blowing out the whole W line at ridiculously low prices, they areoffering a fantastic value fo rmoney.

EMP is putting out a nice product with an installation package that isn't even included with top end on-wall products.

Last edited:
ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
I was looking for in wall speakers they are all CRAP
No they are not all crap at all, perhaps the ones you found in local retailer's were but in-walls can be as good as freestanding models when properly built.

http://rbhsound.com/mc884.shtml

http://www.rbhsound.com/si6000r.shtml

Mind you, you do need quite the budget for Signature Reference Series but the MC series is more than affordale and backed with a 25 YEAR warranty, top that with a floorstanding model. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis