Holiday Sales Frenzy: HD-DVD Players as low as $99

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Over the last week or so, reports that Wal-Mart was stocking the Toshiba HD-A2 just below the sub $200 mark tricked in, spurred by blurry photos of said stock in various A/V forums. More recently, Wal-Mart has confirmed the rumors for the November 2 price drop, but the rumors have spurred action from other retailers as well.

Discuss "Holiday Sales Frenzy: HD-DVD Players as low as $99" here. Read the article.

Matt34

Matt34

Damn, I need to find a way to get out of class tomorrow and hit up Sears.

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Damn, I need to find a way to get out of class tomorrow and hit up Sears.
Walmart is tommorow with the A2 at $99.

Sears is Friday after Thanksgiving with the A3 for $170.

Take your pick, lowest price and five free HD-DVDs or current model at a higher price but 7 free HD-DVDs, just show up at the right place and time when you decide.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
walmart tomorrow you can get a sanyo 50" plasma for $998 to go with the $99 A2

Y

youngbuck123

Audiophyte
Does anyone know when the listings for all stores' Black Friday special comes out? A little comparison shopping may be in order.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Are Blu-Ray players going to be that low also? If not, it makes me suspect that HD is losing the format war and they are trying to sell their stock before they become obsolete.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Or it could be that they are trying to gain some ground by selling some players for really cheap.

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Are Blu-Ray players going to be that low also? If not, it makes me suspect that HD is losing the format war and they are trying to sell their stock before they become obsolete.
The Format War is miniscule, not much more than a bar fight in a large city.

As a percentage, sales of both formats combined compared to SD DVD makes the term 'Format War' hyperbole. Yes, the contenders are big, but few consumers are involved or yet care leaving both formats teetering on the SACD/DVD-A precipice.

Players priced where regular consumers will buy them is the only way to jump start this and make it an actual war.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
And considering Wal-Mart selling the Toshiba for $98 this morning, I would say that the troops are gathering...

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Love to see the BD camp's response to all this.
It's great prices are coming down for HD-DVD, but
the software is the problem for these guys. It's still
seems to be more expensive overall the BD software
overall.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Walmart I went to sold out of them in a few minutes. The Best Buy in the same shopping center said they had none.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
The Walmart I went to sold out of them in a few minutes. The Best Buy in the same shopping center said they had none.
Go to BestBuy.com and add a Toshiba A3 to your cart for in-store pick up. Notice the price. You get four free HD-DVD's on the spot (two will be 300 and Bourne Identity) with that in addition to the five free mail-in-rebate movies for like $199. It's not $98, but you get more free movies.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Hang on, you can get a better deal at Sears for BlackFriday:

http://bfads.net/Toshiba-HDA3-HD-DVD-Player-at-Sears

Basically the same deal as what allargon posted, except it's at $169.99!!

I think you guys should wait till BF...see what the BR players do...maybe they'll drive the prices of HD players down even further :)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Sony and Samsung will not slash prices on Bluray, on an interview given to Twice and Dealerscope, the top execs said they will not compete with HD DVD slash and burn pricing, this is is their logic: "The target audience for high-definiton DVD is still the early adopter or cinephile who is willing to pay a premium for the experience. What we're not going to do is chase a Black Friday price that's going to last seven or eight hours." That statement came from Samsung's Tim Baxter, executive vp of sales and marketing CE division. The lowest you can expect any BR product this year is $399.00

As for Baxter's remark? Well it's hard sometimes to believe these people actually studied marketing.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Wow, whatever happened to 'market penetration' ?!! I can't believe sony/samsung would go this route!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
HD and/or Blu Ray might catch on with the general public eventually. I would not be surprised, however, to see them remain a niche market only (or even to disappear like SACD.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis