Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
There are numerous other reviews for the A2 floating around the Internet, but sometimes a new perspective is a good thing, especially when this will surely be at a great price point very soon (rumor has it at under $200 by Thanksgiving) when the new A3, A30, and A35 come out the door. The Toshiba HD-A2 is the second generation of Toshiba’s HD DVD players. It is the entry level player and provides output of up to 720p or 1080i. It does NOT however output 1080p. Then again, with 1080i no picture information or resolution is lost or missing from a 1080p/24 source.

Discuss "Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
This is available now on amazon for $197.99 with free shipping.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
Then again, with 1080i no picture information or resolution is lost or missing from a 1080p/24 source.
While this statement is true, the 1080p/24 video stream can be pulled out of a 1080i/60 video stream using the Inverse Telecine process, most televisions are not capable of Inverse Telecine with 1080i sources so you are left with 1080i/60 deinterlaced to 1080p/30 with 3:2 pulldown and some possible deinterlacing issues. There are only a few TVs that can do it, Cnet is a good place to find out with TVs are able to do Inverse Telecine on 1080i. The JVC LcOS TVs can and the new Pioneer Plasmas can, but all the Sony XBRs, the Samsung DLPs Plasmas and LCDs, the Mitubishis including the Diamond series, and many more cannot pull 1080p/24 from a 1080i/60 source.

If you have a set capable of 1080p/24 input, it is a good idea to get the Toshiba A20 if you want the best possible picture, or a 1080p/60 unit if you can't accept a 24fps input. However, the A20 does a crappy 1080p/24 -> 1080i/30 -> 1080p/60 conversion, and does it poorly, that makes it no better than the A2 unless you let it output 1080p/24 which it does correctly.

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
If you have a set capable of 1080p/24 input, it is a good idea to get the Toshiba A20 if you want the best possible picture, or a 1080p/60 unit if you can't accept a 24fps input. However, the A20 does a crappy 1080p/24 -> 1080i/30 -> 1080p/60 conversion, and does it poorly, that makes it no better than the A2 unless you let it output 1080p/24 which it does correctly.

where did you get the info on the A-20 doing a crappy job of converting 1080p/24 to 10809/60. that info would amazing and help me decide between the two, since my Panasonic(42PZ77U) does not accept 1080p/24

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Quick question in terms of audio - can the A2 do the conversion to PCM and pass True HD (as PCM) via HDMI?

A

autoboy

Audioholic
where did you get the info on the A-20 doing a crappy job of converting 1080p/24 to 10809/60. that info would amazing and help me decide between the two, since my Panasonic(42PZ77U) does not accept 1080p/24
UltimateAVmag.com
Cnet

I could not find IVTC data on your Panasonic plasma but judging from the price point and the fact that other panasonic plasmas do not do Inverse Telecine on 1080i/60 I would guess that it will also not be able to pull 1080p/24 out of 1080i/60. There is no reason to buy the A20 unless you can accept 1080p/24. Either go for the more expensive player, or just buy the A2 and forget about it until the prices come down on the true 1080p players and get two for the price of one. Really, watching 1080i is not too much different in most situations.

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
j garcia said:
Quick question in terms of audio - can the A2 do the conversion to PCM and pass True HD (as PCM) via HDMI?
Yes, my HD-A2 passes DD+ and TrueHD to my RX-V2700 with no problems and the audio quality is amazing. The difference in sound quality between standard DVDs and HD-DVDs was truly surprising.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
If you have the Panasonic, the new DMP-BD30K should be $399 or less this year and will be the first Blu-ray Disc player to be profile 1.1

It will support 1080p/24 and 1080p/60, have analogue outputs (either 5.1 or 7.1) and HDMI 1.3b and will at the very least bitstream both dts-MA and TrueHD, decode TrueHD and dts-MA and hopefully decode dts-MA as well.

Specs will be released later today.

If you have to have an HD DVD player, you're probably okay with the A2 as the Panny plasmas do have good deinterlacing and pass all HQV benchmark tests (at least the 50PZ750 does)

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
yeah, i am thinking of just going ahead and getting the A2 then. they will hit a good price point this holiday season. having analog outs would be preferred though due to my RXV-2500 not having HDMI, but i guess i will have to pick my battles.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
when does the madness stop!

1080p/24 1080i/60? holy cow, I think that I am gonna miss analogue tv more than I thought. I am new here, my first post in fact. I am going to wait till bd or hd has won the day before i buy anything. I work in IT for a living and I find all this stuff far to confusing, and i can only imagine ho the general public is going to embrase all this 1080/24 and whatnot. where cn I go to understand more about this color depth/numbers? I hve the resalution understood but the / and the new numbers i am seeing are screaming "imcompatability" so as Ricky recardo once said "lucy can you splan this to me"?

A

autoboy

Audioholic
The panasonics pass all the standard definition HQV tests. but these tests are essentially useless because you are probably not using a non progressive scan DVD player so your TV won't need to do any deinterlacing. You are likely passing it 480p and the TV scales it to it's native resolution and the DVD player does the Inverse Telecine and 3:2 pulldown to create a 480p/60 signal from the 480i/60 signal. If done right it does this by first performing a Inverse Telecine process that can reconstruct the original 480p/24 signal from the 480i/60 signal on the DVD. Then, in order to output it at the standard 480p/60 that your TV can accept, it has to pad the 24fps signal with extra frames to reach 60fps. So, your TV actually doesn't need to do anything special to play 480p and just scales it to your screen resolution. Problems DO occur when people buy these fancy new "upscaling" DVD players and set them to resolutions that do not match their TV's native resolution, resulting in double scaling which can reduce the picture quality. A general rule of thumb without getting into the specifics of upscaling, is to set your DVD player to output 480p and let the TV do the scaling. If your TV is fairly high quality, it will likely do a better job of upscaling the 480p to fit it's native resolution without running into any problems with double scaling, or even worse, when people set their upscaling DVD player to 1080i output and now the TV has to do another lossy deinterlace step that was completely unnessesary. So, just skip these problems and set your DVD player to 480p (progressive scan) output.

On standard cable or digital cable, the TV DOES need to do deinterlacing, but it does not do Inverse Telecine and pull the 480p/24 film matieral out of the 480i/60 signal because most TVs do not have adapative algorithms that determine whether there was actually a 480p/24 signal hidden in the 480i/60 signal. All you can do is turn Inverse Telecine on or off and you don't want to switch it on everytime you think you are watching film based content so everyone just leaves it off. This works fine for most content. So, the HQV tests are pretty useless on TVs except when they test a sets ability to do 480i/60 video based deinterlacing, which most sets now do properly.

Really, this whole thing is a complete mess and should have been standardized better than it was because it took me a year to sort all this stuff out so don't worry if you don't understand anything I just talked about.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, my HD-A2 passes DD+ and TrueHD to my RX-V2700 with no problems and the audio quality is amazing. The difference in sound quality between standard DVDs and HD-DVDs was truly surprising.
OK, so another question on this one. What is needed on the receiver side? A particular version of HDMI (1.1+?) or does the receiver have to have a specific feature for this to work?

Well, since the A2 does NOT have analogue outputs, you'll need an HDMI-equipped receiver to decode any HD audio formats beyond bandwidth-enhanced Dolby Digital and DTS.

The only requirement is that the receiver can pull multi-channel PCM audio from the HDMI input. That means it will need to function as a repeater, not just an HDMI switcher.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
1080p/24 1080i/60? holy cow, I think that I am gonna miss analogue tv more than I thought.
I feel your pain Gliz.

Don't let it intimidate. Audioholics has a lot of people either steeped into the industry or spend a lot more time they probably should on the hobby (that's me too btw).

Think of the confusing parts as simply fun you haven't had yet. :)

Mostly the numbers are about trying to get an HDTV (video display) to do what film projectors have been doing for almost 100 years. 24 fps.

E

Electone

Audioholic
yeah, i am thinking of just going ahead and getting the A2 then. they will hit a good price point this holiday season. having analog outs would be preferred though due to my RXV-2500 not having HDMI, but i guess i will have to pick my battles.
The A2 downmixes the new hi-rez audio tracks down to 1.5mbps DTS over toslink optical and it sounds fantastic. I run my A2 with analog component video and toslink optical to my Yamaha RX-V2400.

For now, HDMI is not an issue for me.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
more HD audio questions...

Well, since the A2 does NOT have analogue outputs, you'll need an HDMI-equipped receiver to decode any HD audio formats beyond bandwidth-enhanced Dolby Digital and DTS.

The only requirement is that the receiver can pull multi-channel PCM audio from the HDMI input. That means it will need to function as a repeater, not just an HDMI switcher.
How much benefit would the HD-A2 player provide to those of us with HDMI version 1.1 receivers (like my Denon AVR-3806)? The DD+ and TrueHD capabilities in receivers didn't begin until HDMI version 1.3 correct?
If the player converts the DD+ or TrueHD signal to PCM and sent it over HDMI, would that conversion to PCM be at the same quality (96 kHz / 24-bit or whatever the source is) as the lossless signal if sent to a TrueHD or DD+ compatible receiver? Just wondering if we'd be losing out on any audio quality by not having a HDMI 1.3 receiver trying to use HD audio formats.

Edit: Also, how noisy is the transport for everybody else? I saw Clint's review said his was audible from 20 feet away. Is it THAT bad for everybody else?

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
So what does the A3 have over the A2?

Does anyone know if the A3 has the hella slow load times that the A2 has?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
How much benefit would the HD-A2 player provide to those of us with HDMI version 1.1 receivers (like my Denon AVR-3806)? The DD+ and TrueHD capabilities in receivers didn't begin until HDMI version 1.3 correct?
It is my understanding that there is no loss in quality.

Also, how noisy is the transport for everybody else? I saw Clint's review said his was audible from 20 feet away. Is it THAT bad for everybody else?
I have never noticed any noise at all from my player.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis