The Orange Box Review - Half Life 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Welcome to the Orange Box! The box is actually the standard Xbox green with a very orange label. If you actually want an orange box, you'll have to buy the PC version for $10 less. Now that the colors are out of the way, the "Orange Box" contains not just one or two titles, but five! Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 are all part of this deluxe game package. It really feels more like 3 games, as all of the Half Life 2 games follow the same story.

Discuss "The Orange Box Review - Half Life 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2" here. Read the article.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
That review is kind of bias since it doesn't cover the PC version, which has completely different game play and features.

I think Team Fortress 2 on PC is the best game by Valve so far, and that's saying something coming from a die hard Day Of Defeat player.

Portal is a cool idea, but I blasted through the game in a measly hour and a half. I also spent half an hour getting the game to work without crashing, then another half an hour trying to fix it when it started crashing towards the end of the game. My system can handle the game just fine, so I'm thinking bugs somewhere else.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Play them all on PC. Your kinda shotting yourself in the foot by reviewing the console versions. These are PC games at heart.

To the above poster, I suggest you start playing the bonus levels in portal. Also, Valve made portal for modding. It's soul purpose is for modders. Imagine all the cool maps people will make for it. You can even play through Half-life 2 with the portal gun now.

Portal will go down as one of my favorites. It's so original. It has some of the best commentary I've ever heard in a game. The cake is a lie!

Here's the portal song for the people who want it: http://awiser.googlepages.com/portal_still_alive.mp3

Team Fortress 2 is easily the game of the year for me. It's so incredibly well balanced. Each class is completely different and fun to play.

Episode 1 is pretty lame. Episode 2 is better but not by much.

That review is kind of bias since it doesn't cover the PC version, which has completely different game play and features.
Now, be fair. "Biased" is a rather harsh and insinuating term. I think you mean "limited". It was an Xbox 360 game review from the start so it never set out to be anything all-encompassing.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic

I think Team Fortress 2 on PC is the best game by Valve so far, and that's saying something coming from a die hard Day Of Defeat player.
To clarify, I didn't say TF2 was a bad game. I just said I was angry that I wouldn't be playing it much. *grin* I really wish is supported 4 players per xbox 360. I am actually quite shocked that it doesn't. The maps are pretty small, so there shouldn't be a memory issue with having 4 people on the screen at once. It just seems like it's something that SHOULD be there on a console.

As for the PC, well, I didn't want to buy the game twice. I already have the original Half Life 2 for the PC anyway, and you can't just buy each one individually, at least not yet. Seems like they could throw them on Steam easy enough and let me pick the parts I want.

In any case, I really like playing stuff on the 360 when I can. I NEVER have to screw with drivers. My PC has enough punch to play stuff like this, but the overwhelming urge to smash my computer screen in when my sound or vid card drivers mess up has been enough to move me almost exclusively to the console world. Of course, the consoles also work great on my home theater. We are chatting at Audioholics.com after all.

I do hook my laptop up to the theater periodically to mess around or play some video, but I don't have 5.1/7.1 output from it. And I don't want to haul my desktop system over; too many cables. Besides, for full 7.1 output, I have to use discrete analog connections to the receiver. Ok, sounds like my post is turning into and HTPC rant. *laugh* I'll stop now while I still can.

Later!

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Now, be fair. "Biased" is a rather harsh and insinuating term. I think you mean "limited". It was an Xbox 360 game review from the start so it never set out to be anything all-encompassing.
If that's the case, then perhaps it should be labeled as such? Of course, any idiot could figure out that it was an XBox review after reading it, but it still takes a big dump on TF2, which on the PC is an awesome game.

And yes, "limited" would have been a better term. :)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
As for the PC, well, I didn't want to buy the game twice. I already have the original Half Life 2 for the PC anyway, and you can't just buy each one individually, at least not yet. Seems like they could throw them on Steam easy enough and let me pick the parts I want.
They are available seperately on Steam. I bought TF2 and Portal this weekend because I already owned HL2 and Episode 1.

I loved Portal and I hope they make a sequal. I haven't had much of a chance to play TF2 but it looks very good.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I need TF2 and EP2. I don't really care for Portal, doesn't seem to float my dingy.

I wish you could buy just TF2 and EP2 in stores. I hate buying online. I want a freaking disk!

SheepStar

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I need TF2 and EP2. I don't really care for Portal, doesn't seem to float my dingy.

I wish you could buy just TF2 and EP2 in stores. I hate buying online. I want a freaking disk!

SheepStar
You can. Not separately, that would be dumb.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok.

Buy TF2 and Portal for $40.
TF2 and EP2, I'm not buying portal. And the Orange box is 55 bucks here.. 40 is less and I'm still going to have everything I get(see: Want) with the orange box.

SheepStar

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
TF2 and EP2, I'm not buying portal. And the Orange box is 55 bucks here.. 40 is less and I'm still going to have everything I get(see: Want) with the orange box.

SheepStar
Give Portal a Chance. It's easily one of the best games of the year. I would sub out Episode 2 for Portal. Episode 2 is pretty lackluster compared to other games in the package.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I assume there is no HL2: Deathmatch option for the 360?

If that is true, then the PC Version >>>>>>>> 360 Version.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
There was NO deathmatch for HL2 on my 360 version of the Orange Box. It would have been pretty cool, but I do happen to own HL2 for the PC via Steam, so I can play there. I really feel like Valve didn't really consider the multiplayer capabilities of the console when they ported the games to the 360. *sigh*

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What I don't get is how you can play a FPS game without a mouse. That has to be some of the slowest killing know to man.

Example, Gene shooting Clint in Halo.

"Oh, I see you, *aims* Damnit! I went past your head *re-aims* There we go... DAMN, you moved down *re adjusts his gun down* *shoots* YES! I just RBH'd you EP500."

Meanwhile the sun has burst and the planet is dead. Ironically there Xbox 360 was still working.

HL2 is for PC, and will never be good on a console.

SheepStar

I have to agree - if PCs are ever let into the networking world of Xbox 360/PS3 it wil be a slaughter. I like the Xbox controller, but there's no way it's faster tracking than a mouse.

It is easier to conceptually play in the living room or on the big screen, though. I pick up my controller and it starts... No keyboard, no mousepad, etc.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
What I don't get is how you can play a FPS game without a mouse. That has to be some of the slowest killing know to man.
Well, I sit at my computer for 8 to 10 hours a day at work. On the weekends, I'm on it for a couple more hours browsing, writing, working, etc... I have been using computers extensively since I was like 14 or something, so that puts my computer use at 19 years... Hmm, lets say I average 6 hours a day for 365 days times 19 years. That's 41610 hours I have been at a keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, I just don't feel like playing games on the PC at all any more. Sure, the mouse is more accurate, but the analog stick is close enough. The console games are usually tuned for a little inaccuracy, as well, so it doesn't seem so bad. Besides, when I use the console, I don't have to update the drivers or mess with graphic settings. Heck, my 360 cost less than my last video card, too! Cheap, easy, accurate enough, on the big screen with great sound...

The home theater and game console wins for me!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I sit at my computer for 8 to 10 hours a day at work. On the weekends, I'm on it for a couple more hours browsing, writing, working, etc... I have been using computers extensively since I was like 14 or something, so that puts my computer use at 19 years... Hmm, lets say I average 6 hours a day for 365 days times 19 years. That's 41610 hours I have been at a keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, I just don't feel like playing games on the PC at all any more. Sure, the mouse is more accurate, but the analog stick is close enough. The console games are usually tuned for a little inaccuracy, as well, so it doesn't seem so bad. Besides, when I use the console, I don't have to update the drivers or mess with graphic settings. Heck, my 360 cost less than my last video card, too! Cheap, easy, accurate enough, on the big screen with great sound...

The home theater and game console wins for me!
I'm at my computer that much too, but I'm there by choice.

Really? You don't think there is firmware updates for the consoles? Those alone combined with the issues with your 360, which is just a glorified PC, is enough to stick with computers. That and the fact that they're still by far more powerful and versatile.

SheepStar

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'm at my computer that much too, but I'm there by choice.

Really? You don't think there is firmware updates for the consoles? Those alone combined with the issues with your 360, which is just a glorified PC, is enough to stick with computers. That and the fact that they're still by far more powerful and versatile.

SheepStar
I agree, at least you can upgrade a PC. With the Xbox360, it is what it is.

After 22 years working on a PC, I'm having trouble getting used to the 360

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis