Basic Television Setup Tips

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
You've finally done it. You saved your money and finally purchased that beautiful flat panel or rear projection television you've had your eye on for the past year. While some may look at this as the final step in the process of getting a better display into the home, in truth, you've just begun. Certainly you could open the packaging, set up the television and plug in some cables, but there’s more. With a few key tips, you can be among the top 25% of HDTV owners who really tweak out the best from their new displays.

Discuss "Basic Television Setup Tips" here. Read the article.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
A cheaper, but less comprehensive alternative to the setup discs is to load up a THX DVD. All of them have a setup screen that lets you make some rudimentary adjustments especially for contrast and black level. You apparently need special glasses to get the colors right.

Some THX mastered DVDs (what I already had) Highlander, Hellraiser I & II, Akira and Fight Club.

Look at the bottom of the spine of your DVDs for the THX logo.

G

gtaylor0

Enthusiast
A cheaper, but less comprehensive alternative to the setup discs is to load up a THX DVD. All of them have a setup screen that lets you make some rudimentary adjustments especially for contrast and black level. You apparently need special glasses to get the colors right.

Some THX mastered DVDs (what I already had) Highlander, Hellraiser I & II, Akira and Fight Club.

Look at the bottom of the spine of your DVDs for the THX logo.
I've heard or read somewhere that the THX option on DVD's are film specific, geared to accurately calibrate for the movie on the DVD only. I've seen a few THX demos and they all look the same to me, so not sure if that's true.

B

Bloodstriker

Full Audioholic
I find it's a bit difficult to calibrate properly. Especially since I watch TV with the lights on and movies with the lights off.

Actually, the real reason I'm posting this is to express how hot I think that girl in the pink shirt is. ^^

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis