Perfect Pitch May Be in Your Genes

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
According to a recent study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, researchers believe that perfect pitch may be related to a single gene. Perfect pitch, also known as absolute pitch is the ability to name the musical note that any sound occurs at without a reference pitch. Perfect pitch can entail various abilities to varying degrees including identify pitches on various instruments, name key signatures, name notes in chords and tone clusters, sing a pitch without a reference note, and name the pitches of non-musical sounds.

Discuss "Perfect Pitch May Be in Your Genes" here. Read the article.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Well, its not in mine... I'm selling my system and getting Bose Lifestyle Whatever...:D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Well, its not in mine... I'm selling my system and getting Bose Lifestyle Whatever...:D
My father had perfect pitch. It is no surprise that he was in demand as a professional piano tuner. Sadly, I don't have the gene.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Both of my brothers have musical talent (which I do not share), and we are sure that one has perfect pitch (the other has not been tested.) I love a good stereo, so maybe there is some connection there?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm glad that the article touched upon the nature vs nurture thing, and also found that the conclusion rang true that such persons did receive training by age 7. I've known many persons with perfect pitch, and they all started very young. No exception in my experience.

I've also encountered persons with varying levels of perfect pitch, if that sounds oxymoronic. I knew a cellist/pianist that could only pull the "white keys" from thin air, and a guitarist who could nail any pitch, as long as it was a "good day". Others have just had truly perfect pitch, including a concert mistress I used to date.

However, Im honestly not sure if perfect pitch helps tune an instrument at all. I've noticed such a person not tune their instrument perfectly until being told so by another with only relative pitch. Maybe Dave's father also had great 'relative pitch' in order to get a piano perfectly out-of-tune, for that's what a piano is (temperament). My thoughts.

Random, funny side story about piano tuning. My best friend tuned his own piano recently (he's taken classes in temperaments, tunings) and he wore a hockey mask because he was afraid of the old strings breaking and blinding him! HAHA

An easier way to pull a pitch from thin air for those us limited to only relative pitch is to simply become familiar with the lowest note that you can very comfortably sing. And just go up from there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis