Grandma Sees the Future of High-speed Internet

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Ever in danger of becoming irrelevant before they even really get started, high-definition DVD formats may have more to fear from Internet content downloading than previously believed. According to the Associated Press and Swedish newspaper, ‘the Local’, a Swedish woman of 75 may have the fastest residential internet connection to date...

Discuss "Grandma Sees the Future of High-speed Internet" here. Read the article.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
FIOS hasn't hit 99% of the country and it's already obsolete?

I think that any reality basis for A/V technologies shouldn't follow the vaporware route. A single prototype of a technology is a solid indicator of something we may see in 10+ years.

How long have they been working on OLED and SED technologies? How close are we to getting a 30+ inch OLED display in our homes?

Vaporware at its finest...

But, it will be cool when it arrives someday.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How long have they been working on OLED and SED technologies? How close are we to getting a 30+ inch OLED display in our homes?
Well, they can do both in decent sizes (42" has been shown I believe in both), just not reliably or inexpensively at the moment. Both have some hurdles to overcome still, so we are looking at years before either is a viable, cost effective product in the current screen sizes.

G

GaryWooldridge

Enthusiast
Don't forget the shelved tech...

A lot of the "cutting edge" technologies have been around a long while, probably sitting on a shelf. Marketing has a lot do with what technologies finally make it out to the average consumer - for example, look at how Intel and AMD trickle out their processors, squeezing every cent they can out of the consumers before "introducing" new, faster chips. Although I understand capitalism (at least a little bit) I hate seeing useful technology shelved for long periods just so the big companies can make a few more dollars.

Cheers,
Gary W.

The longer new tech sits, the cheaper existing tech gets... By the time SED and OLED hit the market they will be forced into niche markets because the current tech is so easy and inexpensive to manufacture.

This is even more ebarrassing as OLED and SED are supposed to be less expensoive to manufacture. Maybe they were, in theory, back in 2005... but are they cheaper now? I'm not so sure. If they can inkjet me a 42-inch screen I'll perk up, but until then we're going to take a 'wait and see' approach with much interest, but little confidence.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I was wondering, what is the data transfer rate maximum for solid state hard drives?

Edit:
http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/12556/samsung_announces_64_gb_solid_state_drive

This is apparently new from Samsung (yeah, we know what that means. Stupid company releases more prototypes than they know what to do with.:rolleyes:). 64MB/s read 45MB/s write is pretty good, but that still isn't near the speed of that optical connection for the Swedish old lady.:D

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If they can inkjet me a 42-inch screen I'll perk up, but until then we're going to take a 'wait and see' approach with much interest, but little confidence.
Printable, disposable TVs, now there's a thought. Patent that, before I do.

That's actually one of the characteristics of a type of OLED screen. It's not your home inkjet, but it's the same general principle.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Printable, disposable TVs, now there's a thought. Patent that, before I do.
It is called PHOLED and they are trying to develop this currently, but the concept has been around for a long time. Actually, I believe it IS the same basic technology as your inkjet at home only with other special processes involved. I read an article that said current ink jet systems could be adapted to this type of production.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
Must be nice the only highspeed internet option I have is wireless. They offer the blazing download speed of 1mb for the great price of $40 a month. I can't even get cable tv where I am at.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This demonstration is not overly surprising, but it is most welcome in my eyes. Speeds like that would be great compared to what we have now, although our kids or grandkids will likely one day view 40Gbps as some antiquated system like dial-up.

Now, if only Qwest would update the hardware in my neighborhood so that I could get faster than 1.5Mbps... ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
FIOS hasn't hit 99% of the country and it's already obsolete?
At least this new tech uses fiber that FIOS needs:D
So, just change some of the boxes that we already change every few years:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis