Jamo C803 Bookshelf Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The quality of loudspeakers being produced by most companies these days is pretty good. Rarely does a set of speakers come in for review that just sound awful. Each pair generally has strengths and weaknesses, but overall, I have found that there are many quality products out there to choose from. You can almost always find a speaker that combines good performance with a size, shape and aesthetic appeal that suits your personal taste in most any price range. With that being said, it has been a while since a product just blew my socks off. Enter the Jamo C 803 bookshelf speakers.

Discuss "Jamo C803 Bookshelf Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
My dad is contemplating buying a full set of the C80 series and when we went auditioning all I have to say is those things sound great. I know I am extremely happy with my line of Jamo's which are a few down.

I know I am a fan and am very happy to see audioholics reviewing them.

kingchorizo

kingchorizo

Enthusiast
I am so glad that Audioholics have finally demoed a Jamo product and hope there are more reviews down the pipeline. I have been using Jamo speakers for a long time. They are not a "household" product name but one of my best friends owns a local home theatre shop and is a Jamo dealer and up until that point I have never heard of the company until he introduced me to them. Once I heard them, I was blown away. They are of high quality construction and materials and are asthetically pleasing too.

As noted they are a Danish manufacture and are mostly known in the European markets and as of recently gotten more US recognition. I recently fitted my home with all Jamo in-celieng and in-wall speakers from their " custom kevlar" line and let me tell you, before you consider the Sonance, Niles, Audiocraft, Snell etc. I highly recommened to give these a listen and you will be convinced they are great speakers.

I recently picked up a pair of the Jamo C803 and was exstatic to see my favorite A/V site review these gems. I couldn't of said it better myself! now go spread the word...

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Glad to know that some of you have had the same experience I did...

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Just bought a pair of the C803. Bought them unheard and unauditioned. Got a nice price on them, brand spanking new.....full warranty.

The Jamo c803 Bookshelves arrived late yesterday afternoon. No damage and the box in fine shape, via UPS. And they say miracles don't happen, anymore.

These bookshelf speakers are......BIG.

I didn't realize the size, depth and girth of these puppies. They are BIG.

The Cabs are like friggin' rocks. Extremely solid and dense. These things are built like tanks.

The drivers are cool looking. Very nice.

No listening impressions, yet. I was only able to set them up and then didn't have time to play them in, it was too late. I'll be playing them in for the next several days, before sitting down for music listening.

Build quality very impressive. Very attractive speakers, to my tastes.

Now to see how they sound...........

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Can't wait to hear your impressions. We are at CEDIA right now in Denver, and last night we were talking about speakers at dinner, and these speakers came up. Man, I loved those speakers. They are my second favorite speakers in that class (large bookshelves) that I have ever auditioned. (My faves were $1800 a pair, so no fair comparison) For the money, you have what I consider one of the best values available, at least for my taste. Post back with your thoughts!

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Can't wait to hear your impressions. We are at CEDIA right now in Denver, and last night we were talking about speakers at dinner, and these speakers came up. Man, I loved those speakers. They are my second favorite speakers in that class (large bookshelves) that I have ever auditioned. (My faves were $1800 a pair, so no fair comparison) For the money, you have what I consider one of the best values available, at least for my taste. Post back with your thoughts!
Unfortunately, do to rising manufacturing costs, I was told by my Jamo rep a few months ago that the C80 series from Jamo was being discontined. The manufacturing costs on that line went up 25% accross the board & the company felt that for what they would have to sell them at, the line just was not going to be competative. Also axed was the A400 (if I recall) flat panel speaker. They looked great but sounded much less than that so it went away before it was ever sold here.

To my knowledge (straight from the Jamo regional) all remaining C80 speakers were shipped back to Europe. So, if you can find someone with them in stock, get em' while the getting's good!

Sorry!

J

jamie2112

Banned
I own a set of Jamo C 607 and the 603 bookshelves along with the C center and I am blown away with them. I have had a few sets of Jamo's in the past and I was really happy with my 607's. They are the next down from the 807 and I think they sound a little tighter on the low end. I am very glad AH did a Jamo demo as I have loved their speakers for years. Thanks again.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic

I haven't had much time lately because of a few things going on, here. But I am very impressed with what I have heard...thus far. Can't say much more than that they sound real nice.

They only have a few hours on them. That's all I could find the time for.

Over the next week I'll run/burn them in some more and then sit back to enjoy the music. Then I'll post my thoughts.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
After playing the hell out of my Jamo C603 bookshelves for the last month or two, I'm finally seriously focuing on and playing-in the Jamo C 803.

Jamo simply keeps impressing my more and more....each day. These C 803 are equally musical, sweet and beautiful sounding; as the C 603. But on a larger scale.

They don't sound exactly like the C 603. And they shouldn't considering their much higher price.

But the C 603 are a special speaker, they really are.

Don't know which I prefer more, right now. The C 603 has a certain musicality I love. It's going to be interesting to see how these C 803's break-in and sound after a few weeks of me playing the hell out of them.

There seems to be a common musicality and sweetness with both the C 600 Series and C 800 Series, while delivering wonderfully listenable detail.

I'm very impressed.

I'm officially a Jamo lover, now:D

Still love my Wharfedale Opus 2's, too. Love them alot.

Guess I just have a lot of love to go around:D

gixxerific

gixxerific

Audioholic
Maybe it's a sign, I have been researching speakers myself. Just got off the Jamo site and came here and saw this. I was loking at the C809, C807, C607.

Well it won't be till next year that I do a purchase so if it comes down to Jamo I hope the 8's are still around.

Just read the above review and that peaks my interest even more. I myself have just heard of Jamo. From what I have heard so far they are nothing but astonishing. I put a star next to them on my SHORT? list.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's too bad some of the speakers they made in the early '80s aren't still available. At the time they looked a lot like B&O with the walnut veneer, aluminum trim and gray grill cloth but they had some models that kicked major butt. Anyone who's familiar with the Jamo MFB, 251, J-71, J-101, J-121 and J-151 know what I'm referring to. Technology and speaker advances have allowed the improvements that the new models include and the main designer is the son of one of the founders. They don't get as much press as they should, IMO and as long as Klipsch keeps their hands off, they'll continue to make really good speakers. For personal reasons, I wish they hadn't sold the company because I really liked the people at their office, none of whom still work for Jamo.

Helge- are you out there?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
It's too bad some of the speakers they made in the early '80s aren't still available. At the time they looked a lot like B&O with the walnut veneer, aluminum trim and gray grill cloth but they had some models that kicked major butt. Anyone who's familiar with the Jamo MFB, 251, J-71, J-101, J-121 and J-151 know what I'm referring to. Technology and speaker advances have allowed the improvements that the new models include and the main designer is the son of one of the founders. They don't get as much press as they should, IMO and as long as Klipsch keeps their hands off, they'll continue to make really good speakers. For personal reasons, I wish they hadn't sold the company because I really liked the people at their office, none of whom still work for Jamo.

Helge- are you out there?

Ahhhh.... those were the days... A buddy of mine's dad had some old Jamo's, I can't remember which models, but I would love to have a link to some history of the Jamo speaker lines... Those speakers were absolutely awesome, they got loud and sounded spectacular power with McIntosh equipment, and he also had some old school DIY amps, can't remember what they were called either... darn I'm old....

highfigh

highfigh

Ahhhh.... those were the days... A buddy of mine's dad had some old Jamo's, I can't remember which models, but I would love to have a link to some history of the Jamo speaker lines... Those speakers were absolutely awesome, they got loud and sounded spectacular power with McIntosh equipment, and he also had some old school DIY amps, can't remember what they were called either... darn I'm old....
Describe the speakers and if yolu can come close to the year, I can probably tell what model they were. Prior to about '82, there was only one dealer here in MKE.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
I've heard a lot about those old Jamo speakers, but never had the pleasure of hearing them.

But make no mistake, the C80 and C60 Series are excellent speakers by any standards.

I appreciate and understand the sentimentality and nostalgia you guys are expressing. Although, I would like to suggest not dimising these newer models as cheap or not up to snuff.

They are excellent designs, well built, with quality parts/components and they are wonderfully musical.......melodic speakers.

These C803 just sound better and better every day. Going on three days of running/playing them in and they continue to make me smile....ear-to-ear.

I think they still need a little more time to open up a little more, but these babies are sweet sounding speakers.

The C 603 and C 607 are truely special speakers.

For me, speakers have to serve two main purposes. They have to be capable of delivering the melody of the music and do it sweetly and beautifully. And do it in a manner that is wonderfully listenable and enjoyable for long periods of time....... for long listens.

We listen to music .....a lot, in this house. At least 4-6 hours a day and often more than that.

These Jamo's deliver it all in spades.

Jamo still makes wonderful speakers. It's not only a thing of the past.

Jamie, regarding the C 807. The C 807's require at least 24-36 inches from the back wall and 36 inches from the side walls, in most rooms. In some rooms ......18 inches from the back wall. Proper placement delivers real nice, tight, melodic bass.

I was able to track down a pair of C 807 in the Dark Apple finish and I should have them here before christmas.

Can't wait to give them a whirl!!!!

highfigh

highfigh

I still have a pair of the J-101, which originally used the Phillips AD7068W8 woofer with the butyl rubber surround, but I think that may have been discontinued so they switched to foam. I don't remember the mid and the Phillips AD0163 textile dome tweeter. Sealed cabinet, walnut veneer and mid/high controls. One of the guys at Madisound swore up and down that Phillips never made an 8" driver that would work in that cabinet size and the internal volume is on the spec label on the back. I'll ask for Larry next time.

Jamo has been a leader in European speaker sales since the early '80s and for quite a while, they were #3 worldwide, behind Bose and The Harmon International group. Not bad for a brand that most have never really hear much about.

If anyone knows where to get imported replacement cones that are correct, I'm interested, because one voice coil is open, but not scraping. I'd like to use them again.

I rented a place with someone I worked with at a stereo store and we both had a pair of J-101 and Sony TA-4650 V-Fet integrated amps, rated at 30W/ch. We stacked the speakers and ran one pair on each amp with independent control. We had to constantly tell people that there was no subwoofer and we played a lot of Prog, general rock and I listen to quite a bit of Jazz. Extremely easy to listen to for long periods.

Here's a photo, but it's not mine:

Attachments

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Okay, so I've been playing these Jamo C 803 speakers for about two weeks, now. They 've been logging at least 5 hours a day. On most days, they've been logging a good 7-8 hours.

I'm going to try and convey how these C803 sound on their own and compared to their little brothers, the C603.

First and foremost, the C803 are very musical, smooth and pleasurable for long listening.

They are a little more polite or laid back than the C603. But we're talking a slight difference there. Nothing earth-shattering.

Much like the C603, these C803 handle low bass frequencies quite well and I have yet been able to make them sweat. They handle everything with poise, coherency, stability and smoothness. Unless the recording is rough, at which point you'll get a presentation that's a little rougher.

Their off-axis dispersion is absolutely amazing!!!

I tried them set up facing straight out and with just a slight toe-in. I mean very slight. One hair's worth. Okay, maybe two hair's worth:D

Any one in front of these speakers gets a full presentation and moving one's head (or body) to the left or right yields no real differences. So there's no Sweet Spot Exclusivity. But what's even more impressive is how they sound if your literally standing to either side of these speakers. I mean right next to them. The sound is so full and coherent.

More impressive, is the sound in other rooms. Have to run to the kitchen? Bathroom? Pick a room, the sound just travels through out the house and remains very coherent and rather full, all things considered. I've never had any other bookshelf speakers (except the C 603 ) capable of doing that. And the C 803 do it a little better than the C 603.

The C603, when you stand directly to the side of their cabs, sound a little boxy. When I'm in front of them I notice no boxiness. Only positioned directly to their side. The C 603 also excell at dispersion, but the C 803 are just a bit better. No boxiness sound from the C803, no matter where you're located.

Dynamically speaking they are very good with the punch, kick and crescendos. But definitely not the ultimate in slam-to-the-gut dynamics.

Which for my tastes, is perfect.

So far, I really love these C803.

I still love the C603, though. For their price, build and performance. Not to mention their sweet, organic presentation and musicality; it's hard to beat. The C803 are a more expensive bookshelf and the improvements are noticable. But they lack a certain something the C603 bring to the table.

Not really for worse, just a little different.

What's better would be up to each individual's ears, personal preferences and bank account.

highfigh

highfigh

After playing the hell out of my Jamo C603 bookshelves for the last month or two, I'm finally seriously focuing on and playing-in the Jamo C 803.

Jamo simply keeps impressing my more and more....each day. These C 803 are equally musical, sweet and beautiful sounding; as the C 603. But on a larger scale.

They don't sound exactly like the C 603. And they shouldn't considering their much higher price.

But the C 603 are a special speaker, they really are.

Don't know which I prefer more, right now. The C 603 has a certain musicality I love. It's going to be interesting to see how these C 803's break-in and sound after a few weeks of me playing the hell out of them.

There seems to be a common musicality and sweetness with both the C 600 Series and C 800 Series, while delivering wonderfully listenable detail.

I'm very impressed.

I'm officially a Jamo lover, now:D

Still love my Wharfedale Opus 2's, too. Love them alot.

Guess I just have a lot of love to go around:D
Just wait until you've owned them for a few years and have a gnawing, empty feeling because you don't think you need to replace them.

Oh, the humanity!

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Jamo .....part of Klipsch family...

...along with Energy and Mirage...and they are leaving local management and R&D in place...may be a good thing if additional Capital helps these brands increases distribution and hopefully brings down cost...I would look for Jamo to get more exposure in US now...

highfigh

highfigh

...along with Energy and Mirage...and they are leaving local management and R&D in place...may be a good thing if additional Capital helps these brands increases distribution and hopefully brings down cost...I would look for Jamo to get more exposure in US now...
For being #3 in the world in sales of finished speakers, they sure did it quietly. I'm amazed by how few here have heard of them after being in the US for a hair under 30 years. We were selling so many that the store owner would drive his van to Kenosha, have a shot of Damien Bitters with the Danish folks at the company, stuff his van full of speakers and come back, only to find that he would be doing the same thing the next day, if not that same day. We never knew how many of which speakers we would sell the most of, so placing a large order wouldn't have necessarily been the best way and we didn't want to wait for a trucking company to bring them.

They didn't need more money coming in. Part of the reason they consolidated the stock is because that would be the easiest way for the founders to sell their share and retire. One wanted to sail around the world on his boat (about 72') but I think the other just wanted to enjoy life.

As far as leaving local management in place- they told everyone they wanted to keep from the Buffalo Grove office that they wanted them to move to Indianapolis, which most didn't want to do, including the VP. The way they (Klipsch) fired the regional sales manager was a damn bad way to treat someone who worked for the company for the better part of 25 years.

If you look around, they're one of the best values in speakers- I'm not sure how they could drop the prices much.

I really miss the annual golf outing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis