IMAX Enhanced Now Extends Certification to Loudspeakers...

What certification for loudspeakers is most important to you?

• THX Certification

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IMAX Enhanced Certification

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither, just show me the measurements

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Two years ago, DTS and IMAX joined together to create the IMAX Enhanced certification program to ensure that content was being delivered for home theater consumption with the high quality that the producers intended. At the time, the IMAX Enhanced certification program was limited to TVs, audio-video receivers, and content, but today IMAX Enhanced brings that certification process to loudspeakers. The first loudspeakers to attain IMAX Enhanced certification come from two Sound United brands: Polk Audio and Definitive Technology. Only the highest-end loudspeakers from those brands managed to achieve IMAX Enhanced certification which perhaps indicates that the standards for the certification are rather high. Read on to learn more about IMAX Enhanced foray into loudspeaker certification and our thoughts on their efforts in this area...

READ: Polk, Definitive Technology First Speakers to Qualify IMAX Enhanced Certification

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm....

Yes, it's me again...

...but that shiny blue linky thing...

;) :p

:cool:

Eager to read more about it when ya'll be ready.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In a way I like the concept. I wonder how meaningful it would be unless it was widely participated in and spec and performance scoring included (or available) for review. However for me I'm good for the most part with what I have and am accustomed to seeing measurements so it doesn't really affect me but I suppose could help make a buying choice for someone else down the line if it takes hold....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like another way for the Audio/Home Theater industry under a Licensing Agreement to Market the IMAX brand and make more money.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Shady.
Agree that the linchpin is really in the meaning and definition of the testing and how true they keep the distribution of the award.
Based on the testing of the two lines, is there any commonality between the two that help you see a possible definition on IMAX Certification?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks Shady.
Agree that the linchpin is really in the meaning and definition of the testing and how true they keep the distribution of the award.
Based on the testing of the two lines, is there any commonality between the two that help you see a possible definition on IMAX Certification?
Well, both the Deftech Demands and Polk Legends have a superbly flat response. They have a pretty good dynamic range. The directivity control is OK for speakers that don't use waveguides. These speakers have a lot in common and shared a lot of the same engineering team. We need to see more speakers get certified before we can see what the limits of IMAX Enhanced certification is.

8OhmsHolmes

Audiophyte
Must be a gimic as the def tech speakers have low sensitivity and moderate power handling and still met the criteria. The DT center channel mentioned is 85.5 db sensitivity and 200 watts power handling.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis