Hot off the presses, Sound United is acquiring Onkyo/Pioneer

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Our write up is more entertaining:
https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-set-to-snatch-up-onkyo-and-subsidiaries

We Are Sound United.jpg

What does this mean for us, the consumer? Sound United is poised to create what some would say is a monopoly of the consumer based home theater industry! If the merger goes through, Sound United will acquire Onkyo Electronics, Pioneer and Integra which would just add to its already substantial home theater electronic company list Will this be good for consumers or will we now get FOUR of the same receivers just rebranded with a different name? We doubt the latter since Pioneer has an established fanbase of their D3 amp technology and MCACC room correction and Onkyo, well, Pioneer just made their receivers even better after they joined forces. Denon and Marantz won't just abandon Audyssey so we think diversity will be key with the Sound United acquisition. Also, it's important to note that since Sound United acquired premium brands like Definitive Technology, Polk and Classe, they respected those brands by maintaining quality and pushing for new innovations to make them even move enticing to their existing customer base.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dang, took a quick look and didn't see anything. Nor any chatter in the forum....was this posted to the forum and I just missed it, Gene?

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
Dang, took a quick look and didn't see anything. Nor any chatter in the forum....was this posted to the forum and I just missed it, Gene?
We just posted it. Had to wait as per their PR but since the news leaked out, we were given the "go ahead."

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We just posted it. Had to wait as per their PR but since the news leaked out, we were given the "go ahead."
Yes others did NOT comply and were exiled from the sanctuary of Unimatrix Zero. We were spared the assimilation process and instead are in control of the hive mind :)

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
Yes others did NOT comply and were subjugated to the bowels of Unimatrix Zero. We were spared the assimilation process and instead controlled the hive mind :)
Yes, Resistance is futile.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In our age of giant conglomerations and monopolies in progress it doesn't surprise me, altho it does somewhat sadden me. If the financial base is strong enough maybe they can concentrate more on quality....but what brands do they need to survive and how will they share, or not, technologies for "sound quality" differences in marketing? :)

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I think they should combine all four brands into a new brand, DOMP Audio (Denon-Onkyo-Marantz-Pioneer).

I'd love to brag about buying a DOMP Audio receiver. :)

A little more seriously, it looks like it's now Yamaha in one corner, and Denon-Marantz-Onkyo-Pioneer in the other corner, as far as big name AVRs go.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think they should combine all four brands into a new brand, DOMP Audio (Denon-Onkyo-Marantz-Pioneer).

I'd love to brag about buying a DOMP Audio receiver. :)

A little more seriously, it looks like it's now Yamaha in one corner, and Denon-Marantz-Onkyo-Pioneer in the other corner, as far as big name AVRs go.
It's like Sound United owns an entire side of the Monopoly board now. Luckily Yamaha still owns the Green properties (ie. North Carolina Ave) which aren't valued quite as high the the blue (ie. Boardwalk), but there are 3 instead of 2 and thus better chances to land on them :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most people still didn't know about the Pioneer/Onkyo combination. Will this be an opportunity for the boutique guys now? Or first step in keeping them somewhat obscure?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
D@mn... another reason to shop Anthem? I don't dislike my Marantz, but as I consider how I might upgrade for a long-haul AVR or AVP... this just pushes me away from that "stay-in-the-fold" mentality. Probably still going to be a year or two before we see any changes, though. Time will tell. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In other news, the original owner of Paradigm has just purchased it back from Shoreview Industries which was a private equity firm. He also bought MartinLogan and Anthem, so now that entire A/V group is in his possession.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Now that is a big twinkie!

I think you're looking at a classic less is more situation. As in less competition equals more money to buy a product. Capitalism only works through actual competition. Uncontrolled/unregulated competition = monopolies and pseudo monopolies which aren't good for anyone but the monopoly itself. But other than the European Union, no one seems to stand up for consumer rights anymore.

The US has long ago ceded itself to be the Corporate States of America and are reentering the '20s both literally and figuratively. History tends to repeat itself on fifty year, hundred year and thousand year cycles. With the 21st Century we've more or less entered BOTH and hundred and thousand year cycle (maybe the Hindus/Buddhists are right about reincarnation? It would explain the same mistakes over and over at least and learning nothing from history). Hell, maybe the dead are rising from the grave! Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria! The BORG? What about two different Ghostbusters franchises existing at the same relative time (i.e. Ghostbusters III will come out next year and it's unrelated to the reboot, but the original! Ha! Decades without Ghostbusters and now TWO different ones!!?) It's clearly supernatural in origin! Many Shubs and Zulls will know what it's like to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Ummm, what about Sony? they to are left all alone? Man, Bob Carver should have Never sold out! ;)

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Ummm, what about Sony? they to are left all alone? Man, Bob Carver should have Never sold out! ;)
How old is Bob now? Carver was supposed to survive without him. Yeah that worked. Sunfire. Same thing. As soon as Bob leaves, it goes to hell and yet I think they wanted him gone at Carver Corp. Ironic. No, not ironic. Stupid.

Carver never really got past the 5.1 stage (did they even get that? I only really remember Pro Logic surround processors from them). Clearly, it's not so easy for 3rd parties to compete with the big boys for sheer features and computer-like GUI, etc. (as even some of the boutique brands only have front panel displays, etc.) It's hard to say what they might have put out. The basic chips are probably the same, but that doesn't differentiate them much. At best you hope for better quality amplifier circuitry or whatever, but let's face it, the amplifier market has really matured. Even a Class D amp sounds good these days.

What surprises me is that there aren't more brands to compete with Trinnov. Using an Intel based computer to decode the formats to their fullest extent is brilliant and allows them to really adapt. But you almost need good programmers more than hardware designers to pull that off. I mean that's the only thing stopping DTS:X Pro and Imax Enhanced from appearing immediately after the announcement. They have to do the actual programming to make it work since it's not just on a chip ready to go (well D&M made Imax Enhanced work on some models, but it's not beyond what's already there hardware wise). Still, it's been many years. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more options. Emotiva has been trying to up their game, but it appears the programming work is a big stumbling block to get rid of the bugs, etc. A company like Sony could probably pull it off at maybe 1/3 the cost of the Trinnov, but they probably realize there's very little demand out there for full blown Atmos 34.X.10, not enough to justify the costs to mass produce something.

I actually wonder how Windows 10 getting Atmos/X support might possibly change things. If the driver supported the full blown configuration, all you'd need is a plug-in type board to offer the hardware connections, etc. That's a big IF, though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
How old is Bob now? Carver was supposed to survive without him. Yeah that worked. Sunfire. Same thing. As soon as Bob leaves, it goes to hell and yet I think they wanted him gone at Carver Corp. Ironic. No, not ironic. Stupid.

Carver never really got past the 5.1 stage (did they even get that? I only really remember Pro Logic surround processors from them). Clearly, it's not so easy for 3rd parties to compete with the big boys for sheer features and computer-like GUI, etc. (as even some of the boutique brands only have front panel displays, etc.) It's hard to say what they might have put out. The basic chips are probably the same, but that doesn't differentiate them much. At best you hope for better quality amplifier circuitry or whatever, but let's face it, the amplifier market has really matured. Even a Class D amp sounds good these days.

What surprises me is that there aren't more brands to compete with Trinnov. Using an Intel based computer to decode the formats to their fullest extent is brilliant and allows them to really adapt. But you almost need good programmers more than hardware designers to pull that off. I mean that's the only thing stopping DTS:X Pro and Imax Enhanced from appearing immediately after the announcement. They have to do the actual programming to make it work since it's not just on a chip ready to go (well D&M made Imax Enhanced work on some models, but it's not beyond what's already there hardware wise). Still, it's been many years. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more options. Emotiva has been trying to up their game, but it appears the programming work is a big stumbling block to get rid of the bugs, etc. A company like Sony could probably pull it off at maybe 1/3 the cost of the Trinnov, but they probably realize there's very little demand out there for full blown Atmos 34.X.10, not enough to justify the costs to mass produce something.

I actually wonder how Windows 10 getting Atmos/X support might possibly change things. If the driver supported the full blown configuration, all you'd need is a plug-in type board to offer the hardware connections, etc. That's a big IF, though.
He didn't last very long at Emotiva either. I'm real curious about that. It was a huge announcement, about the same time that they announced moving mfg to the USA. All these great plans for Emo Tube Amps..........then, b-bye.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
He didn't last very long at Emotiva either. I'm real curious about that. It was a huge announcement, about the same time that they announced moving mfg to the USA. All these great plans for Emo Tube Amps..........then, b-bye.
Check Emotiva's website again. Their products are assembled in the USA, not manufacturered here like they originally said would happen a few years ago. I'm curious why that changed...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Check Emotiva's website again. Their products are assembled in the USA, not manufacturered here like they originally said would happen a few years ago. I'm curious why that changed...
Hmmmm, there is a clear distinction between the 2.

Realistically, it is just about impossible to manufacture anything with only USA sourced parts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis