Epique CBT24 Line Array Loudspeaker Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The new CBT24 'Epique' floor-standing line array by Dayton Audio is an unconventional speaker, to say the least. However, the marketplace of loudspeakers has dozens if not hundreds of offbeat designs that promise some extraordinary advantage through some radical new engineering approach. So the question for the CBT24 speakers is how does its design improve upon conventional loudspeakers? We attempt to answer that question in detail in our review of these unique new speakers.

cbt24.jpg

Read: Epique CBT24 Line Array Loudspeaker Review

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nice write James. I was very impressed with the other CBT kit when i heard it a couple of years ago. This looks like a great value.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Hey James, good to see this review finally posted. It was such an interesting speaker to listen to. When we listened to them in my dedicated room and corrected them with DIRAC, it was really impressive. DIRAC and the MiniDSP EQ both improved the HF sound quite a bit, though I always had my reservations (It was never perfect, but it was always pretty darn awesome). On one hand these speakers were unbelievably dynamic. At loud listening levels they always sounded like they had plenty more headroom to go. The soundstage was seriously impressive. I believe another reviewer referred to them as "panel like" which I assume is a reference to the kind of imaging we hear from planar and electrostatic speakers. The sound from these speakers, containing relatively cheap 2" drivers, reminded me quite a bit of the pro-driver based constant directivity speakers I happen to love. Most audiophile speakers really can't play all that loud and it's quite audible when they approach their dynamic limits. That wasn't the case here, and what was so impressive, was that the enclosure was just a few inches wider than the driver, so we are talking a seriously thin speaker. On the other hand, these 2" drivers were clearly imperfect and I felt the midrange, oddly enough, had a kind of chestiness and congestion I didn't love. It was nit picking for sure, a minor problem. I'm not sure you even agreed with my assessment for that matter, so it may very well be a matter of taste (or made up in my head).

I think there is huge potential here, and I can't wait to see what Don comes up with next. While a multi-way design is probably a better solution toward improving the sound, I have to be honest in saying that the idea of a better full-range driver still intrigues me. It may be possible with further optimization to improve the response.

Who knows, maybe Don needs to try a slit over the front of the driver array :rolleyes:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Fascinating.

Kudos to Dr. Keele and providing the UTube link to his lecture.

While aesthetically it would take an act of Congress to get my wife to agree to installing them in our LR, especially the plain Jane black-matte, I’ve now got the itch to demo some CBT models.

Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm also curious why we really haven't seen much about the older, bigger brother, the CBT-36.

Maybe b/c that one is sold as a kit only?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm also curious why we really haven't seen much about the older, bigger brother, the CBT-36.

Maybe b/c that one is sold as a kit only?
Yes, it was sold as a kit only, and it was a complicated kit. Really for more ambitious DIY builders. It was also quite a bit more expensive.

H

honyewl

Audiophyte
Hi James,

I bought a pair of CBT24 in September last year. I have a 5.1 home theater setup - for both stereo/surround music and movie with a fixed projector screen. The CBT24 replaced my previous conventional 2 tower speakers. The Pros list in your review captured perfectly how giddily ecstatic I have been with them: "Excellent.., Extraordinary.., Superb.., Remarkably smooth.."!

However, as you rightly pointed out, there's no center. And trying to match them with "...preferably one that can actually keep up with them" has been a frustrating experience. My existing center (which I used to like a lot) now just sounds, well, underwhelming. I have also tried a center from a respected brand with concentric design, but again, it just couldn't keep up.

So I did something that I never thought I would do - I removed the center and settled on a 4.1 configuration! Except for listening positions way to the side of the movie screen (92" diagonal), the phantom center works remarkably well.

I do want to explore having a CBT24 as a center. But not sure how it will work with overhead projector. If I used a drop down acoustic transparent screen, only part of the speakers is behind the screen - not sure if this will screw up the CBT characteristics. Perhaps a big enough screen that will "cover" all three CBT24 - and the screen will have to reach the floor? Anyway, appreciate if you or Don have any advise and comments on this.

What speaker configuration did you use for testing the movies? Do you add a CBT24 central?

Thanks again for the nice and informative review.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi James,

I bought a pair of CBT24 in September last year. I have a 5.1 home theater setup - for both stereo/surround music and movie with a fixed projector screen. The CBT24 replaced my previous conventional 2 tower speakers. The Pros list in your review captured perfectly how giddily ecstatic I have been with them: "Excellent.., Extraordinary.., Superb.., Remarkably smooth.."!

However, as you rightly pointed out, there's no center. And trying to match them with "...preferably one that can actually keep up with them" has been a frustrating experience. My existing center (which I used to like a lot) now just sounds, well, underwhelming. I have also tried a center from a respected brand with concentric design, but again, it just couldn't keep up.

So I did something that I never thought I would do - I removed the center and settled on a 4.1 configuration! Except for listening positions way to the side of the movie screen (92" diagonal), the phantom center works remarkably well.

I do want to explore having a CBT24 as a center. But not sure how it will work with overhead projector. If I used a drop down acoustic transparent screen, only part of the speakers is behind the screen - not sure if this will screw up the CBT characteristics. Perhaps a big enough screen that will "cover" all three CBT24 - and the screen will have to reach the floor? Anyway, appreciate if you or Don have any advise and comments on this.

What speaker configuration did you use for testing the movies? Do you add a CBT24 central?

Thanks again for the nice and informative review.
Glad to see you are enjoying your CBT24s as I did with mine!

Per your questions, as you say, the way in which you outline the possible use of a CBT24 as a center does negate a couple of their advantages, but I think it would probably still work OK and sound fine. If you used a screen that reached to the floor, that would work to solve that problem, but that might make for a sub-optimal viewing angle. Depending on your viewing position, that still might be doable though.

One interesting idea might be to take two CBT24 speakers, omit the base, and attach them at the bottom for a larger arc, and then use that horizontally. This way, the shading between the drivers will be consistent for that kind of use. Here is a pic of what I am talking about:

Of course, if you elevate that off the ground, you do get floor bounce, but that isn't the end of the world for the sound. And that would be one hell of a center, it would easily keep up with your left and right fronts. You would want an outboard two-channel amplifier for a center like that, and use a splitter on your center channel pre-out. Since you can not buy these things individually, you would have a spare CBT to do this with anyway. The caveat with a center like that would be it would have wide vertical dispersion, and not so wide horizontal dispersion. This might not be a bid deal because the response of the vertical dispersion of a CBT24 is so uniform, and the pasting it into a center like that makes it so wide that even though it won't shoot out sound at a wide angle, it will still cover a large area. I will see if I can rope Don in here to comment on this potentially dumb idea.

By the way, for my own surround sound listening, I just used my Infinity Primus p362 center. That isn't a big fancy center, but it is a real over-achiever as far as center speakers go. I have yet to see a center speaker that measures better.

H

honyewl

Audiophyte
Hi James,

Thanks for taking the time to explain your idea of using 2 CBT24 horizontally for center channel. Fascinating!

Hon Yew

67-79

67-79

Audioholic Intern
Hi, im still on the market in audio. I spend 50$ per month in audio approx. I discovered this line array presentation for the first time today. Thanks, i will surrely experiment something in the coming weeks or maybe never but i will surrelly try to listen them soon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis