The Biggest Failures in Consumer Audio/Video Electronics History

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
While we all enjoy the latest technologies afforded to us in consumer electronics, early adopters often pay the price by getting behind new formats that dry up as quickly as the cash they sunk into them. Let's take a look at what we feel to be the biggest product failures in consumer A/V electronics and try to figure out what went wrong and how missteps today may lead to success stories tomorrow. Some of these are well-known and familiar to everyone; while others are less well-known but their failure was no less spectacular.

Tech Flops.jpg

Read: The Biggest Failures in Consumer Audio/Video Electronics History

Do you agree with our list or feel there should be other products included? Please chime in.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow, this is a provocative article! I hope you guys got your flame suits on! Allow me to be the first to start the inevitable bickering with a few points of dissension.

First, just because a technology has been phased out does not mean that it was a failure. One technology I am referring to here is laserdisc, which I would definitely not regard as a failure. True, it did not have widespread adaptation, but for a good long while all the video stores around me did have a laserdisc kiosk, if not whole shelves full of titles. This is a technology that lasted for more than 20 years! Anyone with a decent home theater system had a laserdisc player back in the day. Furthermore, maybe the first laserdisc players were noisy, but none of the players I have ever used were noisy. Also the article notes that the discs were easily damaged, but in my experience DVDs were a lot more vulnerable. This is also only discussing its use in consumer audio, and not its widespread use as an archival medium. I don't think laserdics can fairly be regarded as a failure. Hell, many DVD titles were just ports of older laserdisc transfers. It was a technology that had a good run and then was phased out as something better came along, but it was not a failure.

I would also say, referring to the Finial laser turntable, that the idea of using lasers to read records instead of a stylus isn't really a failure, although it didn't become a thing for consumer use, so I have to partially disagree with that one, although I understand the article was discussing a particular record player. Using lasers to read records is still a thing, although it is mostly used for archiving purposes rather than home audio. The idea itself is not a failure and still is in use, although its applications as a consumer product certainly did not catch on.

As for DAT tapes, was there ever even a push for that to become a consumer technology? I don't regard this as a failure, since it was so widely adapted for professional use for so long. If you wanted to make digital studio recordings, DAT was the way to go before hard disk space became so cheap. It was also used to make digital field recordings for a long time. This is not a failure at all, just a technology that had its time and then was phased out in favor of something better. DAT has to be regarded as a success in its realm.

I don't regard H-PAS as a failure, it is just something that didn't catch on in a big way. I think it is still a good solution for systems that don't have room for subs. Let's say you are in a tight apartment or bedroom and only have room for a couple bookshelf speakers, H-PAS is a great way to get decent bass from a couple normal sized bookshelf speakers. Most bookshelf speakers that claim 40 Hz extension don't really deliver, but H-PAS (or K-BAS) actually does. H-PAS still has its place.

As for 'Atmos-enabled modules', or bouncey-house speakers, I think the jury is still out. I think its an OK idea for those who want an Atmos system but can not install in-ceiling speakers. Of course, there are all kinds of limits to these types of speakers, but they do have their place in certain situations, and manufacturers are still producing them. I agree that Dolby's claims that they are better than ceiling speakers are absurd and rather stupid. I have experienced both types of systems and conventional ceiling speakers is easily a better system, as logic would suggest.

S

Sean99

Audiophyte
It'll be interesting to see if 3D continues to be a feature on most projectors. The death knell for 3Dtvs has obviously sounded. I used to be very against 3D - yes, it's gimmicky, it darkens the image and yes I have to wear the glasses over my prescription glasses (I've got this down to a fine art in the cinema - perching the 3D glasses on the bridge of my prescription ones!). Heck, I even wrote and performed a poem railing against 3D! But I have just got into it. My projector is 3D and not so long ago I got an Xbox One S which can play 3D Blu-rays whereas my Blu-ray player is strictly 2D. Since I had the projector and the ability to play 3D blu-rays I thought I'd get a pair of active glasses. I have to say I've really enjoyed watching films in 3D. There's a moment in The Force Awakens when there's a close-up of Fin as he removes his Stormtrooper helmet and his face comes slightly closer and closer, really drawing you into the actor's performance.

2D is definitely for me still the best and critical way of watching. I will always watch the 2D version first when I buy a 3D blu-ray. But 3D, does offer something extra on repeat viewings - a bit extra razmataz if you will.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Great article Gene. My favorite was the Elcaset. Great idea, but it never caught on.

I was always a huge fan of the LaserDisc system. Lasting 19 years and a favorite of videophiles, I would have disagreed with its inclusion in your list, however the discs themselves were problematic. The disc manufacturing process over time caused oxidation on the reflective data layer. Eventually, almost all discs would succumb to "LaserRot."

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That was a fun read.
There is a lot of good information and it made for a nice trip down "memory lane".
Thank you for writing it.

However, I do have a criticism of the article!
The article addresses technologies in sequential/time-line order but, inexplicably, the 1992 Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) was discussed prior to the earlier (1987) Digital Audio Tape (DAT)!
This matters because to discuss the failure of DCC without mention of the previously failed DAT is a serious oversight. Unless I missed something (I started fatherhood in 1997), DCC really doesn't seem to offer anything that DAT did not (except being able to play on the same machine as a traditional cassette - but you still had to buy a new deck).
Your presentation of the failure of DCC as a bit of a mystery is quite simply explained if you look at it as - The early adopters had already bought into DAT five years earlier. If you bought a DAT, why would you buy a DCC? In other words, the consumer base needed to help kick-off a new digital cassette format was already depleted!
In summary, I don't understand discussion of DCC without mention in the context of DAT!

I do feel like I am missing something, Panasonic and Philips aren't stupid! Was there an aspect of the DCC that made it somehow a clear improvement over DAT? Were the prices for media dramatically lower? The idea of presenting a competing technology 5 years after your competition is lunacy unless you have a compelling added value!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Great article. Looks like Sony has been in the big middle of just about ever format war, and lost all of them except Blu-ray, which they essentially bought because they owned the source product (movies).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Your presentation of the failure of DCC as a bit of a mystery is quite simply explained if you look at it as - The early adopters had already bought into DAT five years earlier. If you bought a DAT, why would you buy a DCC? In other words, the consumer base needed to help kick-off a new digital cassette format was already depleted!
In summary, I don't understand discussion of DCC without mention in the context of DAT!
Yup. When you get right down to it, DAT, DCC and Minidisc were all the same format war - digital recording media - with Sony competing in two corners simultaneously!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was sorry to see Betamax fall to VHS. Betamax was so superiro in every aspect compared to the cumbersome format of VHS. If only Sony would have shared its manufacturing/licensing rights.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was sorry to see Betamax fall to VHS. Betamax was so superiro in every aspect compared to the cumbersome format of VHS. If only Sony would have shared its manufacturing/licensing rights.
As I recall, HD-DVD had several advantages over BD, but we see how that turned out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@gene
speaking of factual corrections to original article:
There were a few real, functioning hand-built prototypes, however, so the fantasy of “perfect, wear-free analog LP playback” lives on in the imaginations of a few rabid audiophiles whose memories stretch back 30 years.
See Linked Wiki page which says and I quote:
ELP continues to sell laser turntables directly to consumers
http://elpj.com/ - thou the consumer prices are much higher than Finial ever charged for. $15k and higher.
Is it teeny-tiny niche product - sure it is, but it's alive and consumer could purchase a model updated less than 2 years ago.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I get the feeling than Gene wrote this article in way to attract more traffic and attention. Any publicity is a good publicity. Maybe recent discussion of top 10 speaker design gimmicks from early 2000's brought back some of trolling inspirations ;).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That was a fun read.
There is a lot of good information and it made for a nice trip down "memory lane".
Thank you for writing it.

However, I do have a criticism of the article!
The article addresses technologies in sequential/time-line order but, inexplicably, the 1992 Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) was discussed prior to the earlier (1987) Digital Audio Tape (DAT)!
This matters because to discuss the failure of DCC without mention of the previously failed DAT is a serious oversight. Unless I missed something (I started fatherhood in 1997), DCC really doesn't seem to offer anything that DAT did not (except being able to play on the same machine as a traditional cassette - but you still had to buy a new deck).

I do feel like I am missing something, Panasonic and Philips aren't stupid! Was there an aspect of the DCC that made it somehow a clear improvement over DAT? Were the prices for media dramatically lower? The idea of presenting a competing technology 5 years after your competition is lunacy unless you have a compelling added value!
Thanks I fixed the ordering of the DAT section. This article started out as a simple top 10 to do a YT video to generate a discussion and it just grew to what it is now.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
@gene
speaking of factual corrections to original article:

See Linked Wiki page which says and I quote:

http://elpj.com/ - thou the consumer prices are much higher than Finial ever charged for. $15k and higher.
Is it teeny-tiny niche product - sure it is, but it's alive and consumer could purchase a model updated less than 2 years ago.
just bc it's offered for sale doesn't mean they are selling any ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
And not sharing led to one industry adopting VHS, which was only right, because clarity really makes their videos a bit more scary. Same industry that adopted BluRay over HD-DVD.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I hope to see HDMI on that list, some day.

I call it 'Horribly Defective Media Interface'.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

What types of issues do you have?
The only problem I have had HDMI is many of the cables do not make a positive physical connection (snap into place) and they tend to come loose more frequently than other cables if I am shifting stuff around behind the AVR/BD.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What types of issues do you have?
The only problem I have had HDMI is many of the cables do not make a positive physical connection (snap into pace) and they tend to come loose more frequently than other cables if I am shifting stuff around behind the AVR/BD.
What?? You actually pass the vacuum cleaner behind there????? :p

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic

Really? I haven't really dealt with too many defective cables. HDMI is fantastic. Electronics manufacturers who decide to implement its uses in conflicting ways however, are not. See: ARC and CEC. Awesome idea. Often poorly implemented. It COULD be good if everybody was simply on the same page. That's not HDMI's fault, though.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with some and disagree with others. Let's start with 8 track, at least as car audio. Admittedly it was pretty klugy but if you wanted commercial free music then at the time your choices were a car turntable (they existed) or 8 track, and until newer better tech (cassette tapes) came along pretty much everyone under 30 had one. I don't consider a huge market penetration and financial success a failure.

Betamax, DIVX, Sony mini-disc, DVD-A and SACD, and to a lesser extent Laser Disc and 3D were commercial failures because they were never widely accepted by the public. DAT was always a niche product.

Atmos is still too soon to tell but like surround-high and surround-wide will probably just be a niche product. Something for homes and apartments were placing highs and wides isn't practical.

Will 4K be next? 8K? Let's ponder that question for a minute. It's unlikely that broadcast channels will ever broadcast 4k content. They lack the bandwidth for both 4K and backward compatibility with 1080I/P TVs and many will be content to just keep broadcasting 720p. Cable companies aren't likely to want to invest in wider bandwidth channels or all new 4K ready cable boxes. That leaves internet streaming, but for 4K to really succeed networks like HBO, Showtime etc, and their streaming networks will have to adopt 4K in a big way. As for 8K pipedreams I don't see that taking off as anything other than an upscaler for smoothly displaying 4K picture on a 100-150" plus display.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis