Denon, Marantz Receivers Get DTS Virtual:X Firmware Update

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sound United and DTS have announced the availability of an important DTS Virtual:X firmware update for many Denon and Marantz A/V receiver models. Even more models are getting the update over the next couple of months. DTS says its Virtual:X technology can bring increased levels of immersion to your surround sound system whether you're using your receiver for stereo, 5.1 or 7.1.4. Check to see your receiver is on the list getting update right away.

Read: Denon, Marantz Receivers Get DTS Virtual:X Firmware Update

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
In all honesty this sounds like a marketing gimmick designed to appease the [likely large] segment of the HT population who, for whatever reason, are not able to add the required speakers or gear to enjoy true immersive sound. A "virtual solution" is by definition inferior to its physical equivalent. Compromises are a part of life and so its probably great that this option will be available. I just wonder if its effectiveness is being somewhat overstated.

T

TheVid

Audiophyte
I would like to know what the difference is between Virtual X and Neural X. When I initiate DTS Neural X and THX cinema together on my Onkyo 7.2 receiver, it already gives me a satisfying virtual overhead experience with my side surrounds about 1/4 the way from the ceiling, and my rears tilted slightly upward halfway from the ceiling. I guess I'll have to wait and see if Onkyo will eventually get this DTS Virtual X firmware update and see if there's a noticeable sonic boost. I hope so, because the hassle of ceiling mounted speakers at home offered me only a cheap thrill compared to the ceiling arrays in a commercial cinema.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis