Hsu Research VTF-1 mk3 Ported Subwoofer Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hsu's latest subwoofer, the VTF-1 mk3, is a little powerhouse on paper with a 10" driver, 250 watt amplifier, and dual 3.5" diameter ports. We have been interested in seeing what it can do ever since it was announced late last year. Now that we have finally had a chance to give it a few laps around our test track, we are ready to report what is delivered from Hsu's $400 subwoofer (price not including shipping). Read our review of the VTF-1 mk3 to learn about this point of entry to high-fidelity subwoofage.

vtf-1mk3.jpg

Read: Hsu Research VTF-1 mk3 Ported Subwoofer Review

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice review, but I think the near field review should be accompanied by another one with placement more akin to where most people will use it. As you said shady, it wouldn’t be fair to intentionally place the little 10 in a spot to a disadvantage but conversely, a near field review is equally unfair. (Most people won’t be able to see through the disclaimer early in the review about typical placement behavior).

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice review, but I think the near field review should be accompanied by another one with placement more akin to where most people will use it. As you said shady, it wouldn’t be fair to intentionally place the little 10 in a spot to a disadvantage but conversely, a near field review is equally unfair. (Most people won’t be able to see through the disclaimer early in the review about typical placement behavior).
All of my review subs get placed in that near-field position, because it offers the flattest response for a single sub in my room for my listening position, not because it provides an higher tactile sensation. So the VTF-1 is on a fair footing with the other subs in my reviews, at least for the subjective experiences. If I placed it anywhere else, it would not be fair to it with respect to other subs I have reviewed.

We just have to encourage prospective subwoofer buyers to take the time to place the sub in an optimal position to get good results. Great subwoofers can be made to sound terrible with poor placement, and mediocre subs can be made to sound passable with good placement. It is such a huge factor in how a subwoofer will sound in room that it can not be stressed enough.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I may be the odd man out here, but, I use the near field set up today for my little subwoofer and if I replace it with a Hsu I would still do that. Because I'm in a near field listening setup for music, the choice to measure it smack dab behind the listening position makes me smile ! I liked the completeness of the review. Reviews like this give me confidence in making a future selection. Reviews like this and I can call Pogre up and have him come over and make recommendations in person. That does the trick.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis