Marantz SR5012 AND SR6012 4K UltraHD AV Receivers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Audio manufacturer Marantz recently released their newest feature packed AV receivers, the SR5012 and SR6012. For $999 and $1,499, the SR5012 and SR6012 offer the most technology at this price point that we've seen to date. They are both equipped with the latest versions of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and both offer the convenience of multiroom music playback via HEOS integration as well as full 4K Ultra High-Definition compatibility to create an immersive home theater and entertainment experience.

Want an affordable 11.2CH Immersive Surround Processor? Get a Marantz receiver!

Read: Marantz SR5012 AND SR6012 4K UltraHD AV Receivers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
AVR-X4300H offers a tad more amplifier power (140wpc compared to 110wpc of the SR6012). But, the Marantz SR6012 focuses more on the quality of the preamp outputs making it the more ideal solution for those wanting to use it as a dedicate preamp/processor.
Finally Marantz upgraded the DAC to the same one used in the Denon AVR-X4200W, X4300H and X3400H. I do have issue with the perpetuating claim that Marantz focuses more on the quality of the preamp outputs....making it the more ideal solution...........".

Based on multiple reviews available in the public domain, including those done right here by Audioholics, I have seen no or little evidence of such claims. In any case, AH typically don't make generalize statements.

I think it is time AH move away from those hearsay/claims that were started from years ago when Marantz was probably more focused in pleasing audiophiles than Denon. Even on the high end side, take a look of Gene's review on the Denon AVP, that appears to have the best measurements I have ever seen on Audioholics. I don't consider myself biased, and do own both Marantz and Denon AVP/Amps/AVRs.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Finally Marantz upgraded the DAC to the same one used in the Denon AVR-X4200W, X4300H and X3400H. I do have issue with the perpetuating claim that Marantz focuses more on the quality of the preamp outputs....making it the more ideal solution...........".

Based on multiple reviews available in the public domain, including those done right here by Audioholics, I have seen no or little evidence of such claims. In any case, AH typically don't make generalize statements.

I think it is time AH move away from those hearsay/claims that were started from years ago when Marantz was probably more focused in pleasing audiophiles than Denon. Even on the high end side, take a look of Gene's review on the Denon AVP, that appears to have the best measurements I have ever seen on Audioholics. I don't consider myself biased, and do own both Marantz and Denon AVP/Amps/AVRs.
Marantz does use a different preamp module called HDAM which I measured in the PM-11S2 and PM-11S3. The next product I will be reviewing in terms of pre/pros will be the new Marantz when they come out after CEDIA. We will see then how they perform. Denon already has a pretty good preamp section so if the Marantz is better, than it's a better buy for those using the receiver primarily as a preamp/processor.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Marantz & Denon are using more & more common design engineering...
Total unit sales on the higher-end are simply too limited as to cover the design/tooling amoritization costs.

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Marantz does use a different preamp module called HDAM which I measured in the PM-11S2 and PM-11S3. The next product I will be reviewing in terms of pre/pros will be the new Marantz when they come out after CEDIA. We will see then how they perform. Denon already has a pretty good preamp section so if the Marantz is better, than it's a better buy for those using the receiver primarily as a preamp/processor.
That's will be great as you have not reviewed (with measurements) a Marantz AVP or AVR in recently years. Below are some of my observations of the measurements on Marantz products AH reviewed in the past:

- The PM-11S3 reviewed in 2013 measured an SNR of 88db no weighing and 95db A-wt, with 265mV input and 2Vrms from the preamp outputs. I supposed that is comparable to that of the Denon AVR-X3300W's 90db, also unweighted but with 100mV input, presumably 1V rms (?) at the preout. I am sure the PM-11S3 has much better numbers in other areas such as THD+N etc but that's a high end integrated amp.

- You noted the PM-11S2 had lower distortions.

- The last Marantz AVR (SR6004) reviewed all the way back to 2010 had even higher unclipped preout voltage and better SNR than the PM-11S3.

- It seems that measurements of one model year do not imply similarly good, or bad results of another model year of the same product.

Lastly, Gene, could you please spend a few more minutes in your future reviews to include the following information in the SNR measurements so that we can compare apple to apple?

SNR

- Measured with and without weighing, if no weighing (A), specify why sometimes you applied the AE17 filter and sometimes not.
- Please specify why sometimes you use 100mV and 1V rms to measure preout of an AVR, other times you used 200mV, was it because of the different gains, was the aim to ensure the preout voltage was always 1Vrms? But then, why, for the PM-11S3 you have preout voltage at 2V rms?
- For AVR, please always include SNR (weighed/A-wt) at 1W at the power amp section outputs (speaker level), and specify the preamp input voltage for those readings. For example, in your X3300W, only the preamp SNR was measured, the power amp section SNR was not..

If you need an assistance, I am available and I am an EE too.:D

Many thanks for responding.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Marantz & Denon are using more & more common design engineering...
Total unit sales on the higher-end are simply too limited as to cover the design/tooling amoritization costs.

Just my $0.02... ;)
I think you are right, and I doubt D&M sold enough of the AVP-A1HDC1, POA-A1HDC1 pair or even their last real flagship AVR-5805 to get a decent ROI. On the other hand, they probably made good money on their mid range AVRs based on sheer volume.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
..even their last real flagship AVR-5805..
Hey, I resent that! :D

My Denon AVR-5308CI was pretty good too. :D

I didn't see any SNR measurements for the 5308 on AH.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, I recent that! :D

My Denon AVR-5308CI was pretty good too. :D

I didn't see any SNR measurements for the 5308 on AH.
I am talking about real flagship, and one that has been measured.

Edit: The AVR-5308CI was also measured, but by S&V, and I don't want to compare their measurements with AH's. Just for information, its SNR from preamp input to speaker output was -109.97 dBrA at 1W, as usual, S&V assigned a negative sign to it.

Last edited:
G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
I'm not expecting any radical improvement over the previous models. I own the Marantz SR-7011. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not expecting any radical improvement over the previous models. I own the Marantz SR-7011. :D
And even if they did improved the SNR by 2 or 4 dB or any other specs, which isn't radical, we won't hear any difference anyway. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
We can safely assume the SR-7011 is on the far right side of the point of diminishing return.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
You might assume anything, for myself I'd say its barely in the middle. Were it otherwise most here would have nothing to lust after and already spent way more reaching that point :)

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
Well I want to give @gene my thanks here.

This preamp out issue is very useful to know for those who, like yours truly, are considering whether to use an old school stereo preamp or an AVR for two-channel music, linked to a discreet power amp. The quality, impedance and design of the pre-out stage can make a significant aq difference and matching to different amps. As an AVR will typically use its internal amps, and for movies, etc all, I can see some companies /models including rather perfunctory preouts. Of course one could use an AV processor instead on an AVR, but those tend to be rather expensive for those on a budget.

So the question of whether Marantz's Preouts are indeed well implemented compared to competitors or even brand-mates, is of significance to me, but, alas, not so obvious in most reviews.

Now, I would be looking at a lower cost model than those reviewed here, but this helps my search and comparison shopping.

Google best AVR for music and one gets all sorts of vague claims and suggestions that don't really help much...brands like NAD, Cambridge audio, Arcam, and yes, Marantz are mentioned. But i find it far harder to find specifics.

Is that due to different room or other EQ protocals? different line out /pre out stages? better Direct implementation with short signal paths with less active components? Who knows.

I have a one of those cute slim line Marantz AVRs for my av system. and I do think it does a pretty decent job with music for what its worth.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A processor to the amp for my front 3 is how I'm using my 6011 right now (as well as powering the surrounds). It does a great job. Very happy with my results.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis