Ascend Acoustics Sierra Luna Mini-Monitor Speaker Demo Report

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you're looking for a budget friendly, high quality speaker manufacturer look no further than Ascend Acoustics. We had an opportunity to demo one of their latest speakers, the Sierra Luna mini-monitor. We found these bookshelf sized speakers to be extremely versatile high-performance no compromise mini-monitors, ideal for use as desktop, on-wall, and especially as stand mounted front and/or rear main speakers. Read our demo report to get more details.

Read: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Luna Mini-Monitor Speaker Demo Report

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have been going going back and forth with buying either the KEF LS50 or the Sierra 2. I am currently an owner of the RAAL Towers. Ascend is a fantastic company.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Looks like Ascend is invading Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic territory!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I think Ascend and Philharmonic have been direct competitors for quite a while. Each fills a similar market share (high performance for relatively low cost). And, I really don't think you will be disappointed by either brand.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
How so? Dennis did have a small bookshelf with a GR woofer and similar RAAL, but wasn't that a one-time offer?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Thanks - I'm aware of those. To me, they 'compete' with the Sierra 2, not the Luna.

D

davef

Audioholic Intern
Actually, more like the other way around, which is fine of course as Dennis offers a fine product. Our Sierra-2 was released well before the RAAL version of the Philharmonitor - in fact, without the development of our Sierra-2, which spawned the release of the OEM version of that RAAL tweeter (we use a fully custom RAAL ribbon), the current version of that Phil would not exist.

Our Luna uses the same tweeter as in our Sierra-2 and a very similar but smaller woofer, but is something quite different. The pics posted really don't capture just how tiny the Luna speaker is. Ill post a comparison pic next to our Sierra-2 that should help.

D

davef

Audioholic Intern
These are a little larger but they are the same price at $1150/pr:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/New Philharmonitor.html
I wouldn't say the Phil's are a little larger, they are significantly larger. The Luna's are actually about 1/4 the total size of the Dayton cabinet used for the standard version of the Phil. Our Sierra-2 is actually a bit smaller than that same Dayton cabinet, Sierra-2 looks like a giant compared to the Luna.

Here are a few pics I just took comparing the Luna with the Sierra-2. Hopefully this is a decent representation of just how small this speaker is.

The Luna isn't designed to compete against our Sierra-2, it is for those consumers looking for an incredibly versatile very small speaker (fronts/surrounds/desktop monitors/on-wall/wall mount etc.) without compromising performance. Just about every detail of the design can be found in our forum here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?6102-New-for-2016-Introducing-the-Luna-Mini-Monitor!

Hope this helps!!

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't say the Phil's are a little larger, they are significantly larger. The Luna's are actually about 1/4 the total size of the Dayton cabinet used for the standard version of the Phil. Our Sierra-2 is actually a bit smaller than that same Dayton cabinet, Sierra-2 looks like a giant compared to the Luna.

Here are a few pics I just took comparing the Luna with the Sierra-2. Hopefully this is a decent representation of just how small this speaker is.

The Luna isn't designed to compete against our Sierra-2, it is for those consumers looking for an incredibly versatile very small speaker (fronts/surrounds/desktop monitors/on-wall/wall mount etc.) without compromising performance. Just about every detail of the design can be found in our forum here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?6102-New-for-2016-Introducing-the-Luna-Mini-Monitor!

Hope this helps!!

View attachment 21561

View attachment 21562

View attachment 21563
I like the front slot port (on the Luna)! That was one of the factors that pushed me towards the previous iteration of the Philharmonitor (the Alexis-branded Phils).

Actually, the entire aesthetic on the Luna reminds me of the Alexis Rebecca, just smaller.

Hey, by the way, when I picked up my Rythmik F15HP a few years ago directly from Brian, I had a chance to talk to him about general audio and HT stuff. Of course, I asked what speakers he runs for HT, and I wasn't surprised in the slightest that he runs Ascends.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja

Hope this helps!!
Thanks for the clarification Dave. I didn't realize how small the Lunas were :)

D

davef

Audioholic Intern
I like the front slot port (on the Luna)! That was one of the factors that pushed me towards the previous iteration of the Philharmonitor (the Alexis-branded Phils).

Actually, the entire aesthetic on the Luna reminds me of the Alexis Rebecca, just smaller.

Hey, by the way, when I picked up my Rythmik F15HP a few years ago directly from Brian, I had a chance to talk to him about general audio and HT stuff. Of course, I asked what speakers he runs for HT, and I wasn't surprised in the slightest that he runs Ascends.
The aesthetic of the cabinet is really just a smaller version of our domestic made Sierra-2 cabinet. We went with the front slot port for 2 reasons, to allow for flush wall mounting for on-wall usage (the cabinet has integrated options for this) and also because there just isn't any room for a port tube that would give us the necessary F3 point.

The tuning / porting of this speaker was actually one of the most challenging design aspects as the speaker uses a 60Hz port tune, which required a 9" long "port" - but the cabinet is only 6" deep and with 20mm thick bamboo walls (3/4") - leaves only 4.5" of usable internal depth.

Hope you are enjoying your Rythmik subs -- I certainly enjoy mine (I also use Rythmik subs for my personal enjoyment)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
How so? Dennis did have a small bookshelf with a GR woofer and similar RAAL, but wasn't that a one-time offer?
Just in case there's any remaining doubt, the Philharmonitor in no way competes with the Luna. The Philharmonitor is in the same market as the Sierra 2. I do have a mini-monitor design that is much closer to the Luna in size and purpose. The smallest version is sealed, and I don't think goes quite as low as the Luna, even though the woofer is a little larger. I haven't announced it because I have my hands full with my other speakers, but several people have purchased them. Dave is correct in saying he was responsible for the basic design of the RAAL tweeter I use in a number of speakers. Of course, Jim Salk was the first to use the 70-20 OEM RAAL that Dave uses as upgrades for some of his speakers. Let's just say that Jim, Dave (and I) know a good thing when we see it.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I have been going going back and forth with buying either the KEF LS50 or the Sierra 2. I am currently an owner of the RAAL Towers. Ascend is a fantastic company.
I offer to simplify your decision: SoundStage KEF LS50

Had reviewed these with another member, very good quality sound but something wasn't quite right. The measurements show resonances right in the midrange that color the sound. I consider this a deal breaker when you pass $1k. It's 2017, we know how to design better than this!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just in case there's any remaining doubt, the Philharmonitor in no way competes with the Luna. The Philharmonitor is in the same market as the Sierra 2. I do have a mini-monitor design that is much closer to the Luna in size and purpose. The smallest version is sealed, and I don't think goes quite as low as the Luna, even though the woofer is a little larger. I haven't announced it because I have my hands full with my other speakers, but several people have purchased them. Dave is correct in saying he was responsible for the basic design of the RAAL tweeter I use in a number of speakers. Of course, Jim Salk was the first to use the 70-20 OEM RAAL that Dave uses as upgrades for some of his speakers. Let's just say that Jim, Dave (and I) know a good thing when we see it.
@Dennis Murphy @davef

I just want to mention, as a consumer/customer, I for one really appreciate the friendly competition and the respect that you guys show each other! In modern business, you just don't see that often enough any longer. It really says to us that you are interested in satisfying your customer just as much as making the dollar on sales.

You do see this kind of friendly competition and even collaboration in the craft beer industry too. But you never really see this in big business.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief

Had reviewed these with another member, very good quality sound but something wasn't quite right. The measurements show resonances right in the midrange that color the sound. I consider this a deal breaker when you pass $1k. It's 2017, we know how to design better than this!
What 'resonances' are you referring to? I see some peaks and dips, as all speakers have to some extent. The Stereophile freq response and waterfall don't show any significant 'resonances.'

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What 'resonances' are you referring to? I see some peaks and dips, as all speakers have to some extent. The Stereophile freq response and waterfall don't show any significant 'resonances.'
That bump at 2 kHz doesn't look that bad, and it could be mitigated by listening to the speaker 20 to 30 degrees off axis. According to those charts, slight off axis will give you a slightly smoother response, and I think it would be difficult to hear any of those bumps. You would really have to know what to listen for and actually be listening for them.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

I'm also having trouble seeing any midrange issues with the Canadian plots of the LS50. If there is an issue, it would seem to be extra brightness caused by the bump-up in response starting at 2 kHz.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
When you can see pronounced peaks and dips, you know they are resonances when they are visible in all 3 curves and even the Listening Window. The further off axis you go the clearer the culprit frequencies are @ 700, 1200, 1500, 2000 and even a couple low Q break up modes starting at 15khz and something weird going on down low. I'd be guessing if I said that mostly resulted from the coaxial design, but even that is questionable given the very low sensitivity.

Given that its just a coaxial in a box, it was hard not to feel the price matched the performance. Dennis, your AA monitors put them back in their box very quickly! They don't have quite the detail up high, but the midrange was unmistakably better.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
When you can see pronounced peaks and dips, you know they are resonances when they are visible in all 3 curves and even the Listening Window. The further off axis you go the clearer the culprit frequencies are @ 700, 1200, 1500, 2000 and even a couple low Q break up modes starting at 15khz and something weird going on down low. I'd be guessing if I said that mostly resulted from the coaxial design, but even that is questionable given the very low sensitivity.

Given that its just a coaxial in a box, it was hard not to feel the price matched the performance. Dennis, your AA monitors put them back in their box very quickly! They don't have quite the detail up high, but the midrange was unmistakably better.
Again, how do you know these are "resonances" and not just entirely normal peaks and dips in frequency response? If they were truly resonances, wouldn't they show up in Stereophile's waterfall?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis