AV Receiver Surroud Sound Formats Comparison

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Surround formats have evolved over the years and with all of the different ones available, it's often confusing to the neophytes on what the differences are. Ever look at a new AV receiver and notice the plethora of logos on the front panel? This YouTube video and supplementary editorial discusses those logos and provides a brief comparison of the major consumer surround formats and how they've changed over the years.

If you're still rocking an 80's Prologic receiver, it may be time for an upgrade. We've come a long way baby.

Read: AV Receiver Surroud Sound Formats Comparison

N

nickboros

Audioholic
Nice summary Gene. I did want to point out one subtlety that I don't think was mentioned. When we first started getting Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs and Dolby Digital + was the encoding of some soundtracks on those early discs, it seemed to always be the case that we were typically getting a quality and bit-rate higher than Dolby Digital. That is not really the case in streaming from my experience. The reason that Netflix gives everything in surround sound in Dolby Digital +, is not because they are delivering to us this higher quality soundtrack like we would get on those early Blu-ray's. They are doing this because it is more efficient than Dolby Digital, as you mentioned. I'm pretty sure that most surround sound soundtracks are just a Dolby Digital soundtrack, but in this more efficient encoding to get the bit-rate down. But, when Netflix puts out their original content, they make sure that the video and audio quality are as good as it gets, so I'm sure that they take advantage of the extra bit rate allowed by Dolby Digital + to give us a better soundtrack.

This seems to be how most other big steaming companies handle things as well, saving bandwidth going with Dolby Digital + and not increasing the quality. However, Vudu is the exception, they regularly give out higher quality audio when streaming, actually using more of that additional bit-rate in Dolby Digital +.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Nice summary Gene. I did want to point out one subtlety that I don't think was mentioned. When we first started getting Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs and Dolby Digital + was the encoding of some soundtracks on those early discs, it seemed to always be the case that we were typically getting a quality and bit-rate higher than Dolby Digital. That is not really the case in streaming from my experience. The reason that Netflix gives everything in surround sound in Dolby Digital +, is not because they are delivering to us this higher quality soundtrack like we would get on those early Blu-ray's. They are doing this because it is more efficient than Dolby Digital, as you mentioned. I'm pretty sure that most surround sound soundtracks are just a Dolby Digital soundtrack, but in this more efficient encoding to get the bit-rate down. But, when Netflix puts out their original content, they make sure that the video and audio quality are as good as it gets, so I'm sure that they take advantage of the extra bit rate allowed by Dolby Digital + to give us a better soundtrack.

This seems to be how most other big steaming companies handle things as well, saving bandwidth going with Dolby Digital + and not increasing the quality. However, Vudu is the exception, they regularly give out higher quality audio when streaming, actually using more of that additional bit-rate in Dolby Digital +.
Hmm I was referring to watching Netflix series like Daredevil. It is in DD+ and sounds very good to me. I suppose much of the stuff streaming in DD+ is as you say though. Thanks for the insights.

C

conanb

Audiophyte
Dolby IIx Music mode is a favorite format for listening to music. As I have upgraded through Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon receivers over the years, selecting Dolby IIx Music mode (or any specific mode) has become very complicated or restricted.
I wish reviews of receivers and preamps would include an evaluation of how much and how easy it is to choose and control the listening modes listed in this article.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
selecting Dolby IIx Music mode (or any specific mode) has become very complicated or restricted.
Pretty easy on my Denon. One button displays all choices. Scroll to the one you want and select. Maybe 5 seconds? Perhaps the Operator's Manual can simplify your process.

C

conanb

Audiophyte
Pretty easy on my Denon. One button displays all choices. Scroll to the one you want and select. Maybe 5 seconds? Perhaps the Operator's Manual can simplify your process.
What is your Denon model?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is your Denon model?
What's yours? My 4520 also has the press the sound mode button for 5 seconds thing and you get the list of available sound modes to pick from....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis