$200/pair Speaker Round-up for Two-Channel and Home Theater Listening

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Looking for a great pair of $200 bookshelf speakers and don't know where to begin? Read the following article to discover there are quite a number of speakers on the market that are great for two-channel listening as well as home theater without breaking the bank.

We’ve narrowed down a list of speakers, in no particular order, that can be used for the budgeting audiophile for a quality two-channel desktop or a 5.1 home theater system for under $1000 when a subwoofer is added.

Read: $200/pair Speaker Round-up for Two-Channel and Home Theater Listening

Let us know which speaker on our list is your favorite or if you have alternative recommendations.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would love to see a shoot out with measurements between these speakers, but I know that few of those manufacturers would consent to that. Still would be neat to see. I think a worthy inclusion might have been the Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers, however it looks like the Primus series has been discontinued by Infinity, which is a shame.

One more thing, I very much doubt that the BIC Acoustech speaker has anywhere near 96 dB sensitivity. I would be surprised if it were even 90 dB sensitive, at least for 2.83v RMS at 1m. I would bet it is the most sensitive of that round-up though.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I would love to see a shoot out with measurements between these speakers, but I know that few of those manufacturers would consent to that. Still would be neat to see. I think a worthy inclusion might have been the Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers, however it looks like the Primus series has been discontinued by Infinity, which is a shame.

One more thing, I very much doubt that the BIC Acoustech speaker has anywhere near 96 dB sensitivity. I would be surprised if it were even 90 dB sensitive, at least for 2.83v RMS at 1m. I would bet it is the most sensitive of that round-up though.
I'm a huge believer in measurements, but having measured most of the speakers in this survey, I think the results would be very confusing. A number of these speakers do quite well in terms of +/- db across the audio spectrum. But it's where the deviations occur that matters (along with off-axis response). Here's a measurement for one of the speakers in this group, and it's quite good at first glance. But the lack of baffle step compensation, which accounts for the bump in the region around 1 kHz, is quite audible on complex music and reduces midrange clarity and cohesiveness. A speaker that was flat in this region but didn't measure quite as well higher up might sound noticeably better.

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I went to the the HTD site to read more about their FCD mid driver:
The low and mid-range is reproduced by a 5.25" FCDTM cone driver. FCD stands for Fabric, Ceramic, Doping. It is made by first creating the cone's shape using a strong, and extremely lightweight fabric. A ceramic coating is then hand applied, heated, and hardened to give the cone its stiffness. Finally, a slightly sticky polymer coating (doping) is also hand applied that helps increase bass response and add warmth to the overall tone. FCD offers the smoothest and most natural sound of any cone material we have ever tested.
http://www.htd.com/Products/bookshelf-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

I am having a tough time understanding the benefit of adding the doping based on their description. I can't see any aural benefit from adding the weight of the doping material. Does anyone understand how this would work? I usually think of a doping material as adding toughness and keeping the substrate together in one piece, but how would it increase bass and add warmth?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why is everyone forgets about HSU's HB-1? At AH's GTG-2012 (Gene - it's been awhile now ;)) I have heard them and was quite impressed with SQ at their price level. At $159/ea they are right in sweet spot for entry level 5.1 HT.....
Oh and did I mentioned that HSU makes some of best value subs around?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Gene, is your wife willing to allow us all over to DIY an anechoic chamber on to your house?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I went to the the HTD site to read more about their FCD mid driver:

http://www.htd.com/Products/bookshelf-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

I am having a tough time understanding the benefit of adding the doping based on their description. I can't see any aural benefit from adding the weight of the doping material. Does anyone understand how this would work? I usually think of a doping material as adding toughness and keeping the substrate together in one piece, but how would it increase bass and add warmth?
The power of marketing compels you!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I am having a tough time understanding the benefit of adding the doping based on their description.
Adding mass will lower the Fs of the driver among other things.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here's a measurement for one of the speakers in this group, and it's quite good at first glance. But the lack of baffle step compensation, which accounts for the bump in the region around 1 kHz, is quite audible on complex music and reduces midrange clarity and cohesiveness. A speaker that was flat in this region but didn't measure quite as well higher up might sound noticeably better.
Mystery speaker eh? Not yours is it? :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why is everyone forgets about HSU's HB-1? At AH's GTG-2012 (Gene - it's been awhile now ;)) I have heard them and was quite impressed with SQ at their price level. At $159/ea they are right in sweet spot for entry level 5.1 HT.....
I like the Hsu speakers, but this article's pricing looks to be about $200 per pair. The Hsu speakers are closer $400 per pair after shipping.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I owned a pair of the Sonys. I really like them, much better than the Pioneer SP-BS22LR speakers, which I also have. The Sonys are very detailed and have decent bass for the size. I ended up giving them to my son. Peace and goodwill.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the Hsu speakers, but this article's pricing looks to be about $200 per pair. The Hsu speakers are closer $400 per pair after shipping.
Fair enough, but the article doesn't mention shipping prices and not all shipped free.
At $318/Pr they are more expensive than others, but if purchased in larger set with sub - their price does drop noticeably which makes them worth a mention :)

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Thanks for doing a roundup for something that I may be able to afford. :) Peace and goodwill.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Are you volunteering to do such an article for us? If so, I'd happily make the arrangements ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yeah, that's really strange that it wasn't chosen over the other 3 Fluance options, it's the most appropriate.
Holding off recommending their Signature line until the redesign is finalized.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, is your wife willing to allow us all over to DIY an anechoic chamber on to your house?
LOL not sure I can fit anymore audio gear or treatments here. How about we rent a hall and do it there ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yep they are great speakers for the money. S&V did a shootout last year where they came out on top and absolutely smoked the Axiom M3v3s. However, we were trying to keep within a $200/pair budget. Since this article seems to be pretty popular, maybe we should do another at a $350/pr or $500/pr price point. I'd welcome suggestions and volunteers to write it up ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are you volunteering to do such an article for us? If so, I'd happily make the arrangements ;)
If you can line up those manufacturers to participate in a shootout, I would be happy to do the measurements. But getting everyone on board for a shootout like that would be more difficult than herding cats. I think you would have the larger task by far!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis