My WD TV Live is on the way out.. what are my options for a new media player?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've started experiencing a few problems with my WD. Here's the list of problems

1. Mapping it as a network drive, in the middle of a transfer, the device would suddenly become unavailable and then I could not get it remapped.
  2. When streaming a show in Netflix, it would stop in the middle of the show saying netflix was unavailable and do I want top retry. I retried somtimes successfully, sometimes requiring a a pull of the power cable
  3. Last night, listening to music from the USB attached hard drive, it would freeze after 6 songs . I had to pull the power to get the unit back again. So I did a reset pushing the reset pin and reconfigured the WD and the symptoms of the device freezing after 6 songs appeared again, this on a different group (file).
So, I'm looking for either another WD with Netflix or a different streaming device that has a Netflix app. What are my options? I don't want a Roku because it prevents me from gaining access to American Netflix ( I live in Canada) and I need the ability to stream ISO files. Does the WD (WDBYMN0000NBK-VESN) contain the netflix app?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Amazon FireTV with Sideloaded Kodi - No HD Audio codecs though :(
Sorry, Don't know much bout WD TV

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Amazon FireTV with Sideloaded Kodi - No HD Audio codecs though :(
Sorry, Don't know much bout WD TV
No worries... I'm starting to look at these types of devices. They offer so much but I still need the ability to configure the box to receive AMerican Neftlix (Candaian netflix sucks, blows, is to gag on, you get the idea :p ) and to stream my MP3 and DVDs that I've ripped in the ISO format. That's all I need or want.

http://www.amazon.ca/Android-Amlogic-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B016CWQURG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448399948&sr=8-3&keywords=android+tv+m8s

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No worries... I'm starting to look at these types of devices. They offer so much but I still need the ability to configure the box to receive AMerican Neftlix (Candaian netflix sucks, blows, is to gag on, you get the idea :p ) and to stream my MP3 and DVDs that I've ripped in the ISO format. That's all I need or want.

http://www.amazon.ca/Android-Amlogic-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B016CWQURG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448399948&sr=8-3&keywords=android+tv+m8s
Build an HTPC. Pretty much all these App based streaming systems and Linux based boxes suck to at least some degree. Most suck a lot.

My HTPC is my most used device. If you can stream it, an HTPC will grab it. Don't believe that an HTPC is obsolete. If you want to cast a wide net for streaming and do it often an HTPC is the way to go. Windows 10 by the way has made it even better. Natively decodes most streams, no need for flash and it natively decodes Netflix Dolby plus in 5.1.

With a radio key board in your favorite chair you won't go wrong.

My HTPC has been my most used device for a long time now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

I would discourage you from buying of these. Just get Amazon FireTV and Sideload Kodi - you'd get both of both worlds.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would discourage you from buying of these. Just get Amazon FireTV and Sideload Kodi - you'd get both of both worlds.
Why do you not like these devices? Is it because of Android OS? I dont want the additional power consumption and additional real estate a htpc requires. I have Kodi loaded on this Samsung tablet that I am using to respond to this thread. It streams the movies without hiccup. I dont understand yours and TLS's reluctance to these devices. Im all ears. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why do you not like these devices? Is it because of Android OS? I dont want the additional power consumption and additional real estate a htpc requires. I have Kodi loaded on this Samsung tablet that I am using to respond to this thread. It streams the movies without hiccup. I dont understand yours and TLS's reluctance to these devices. Im all ears. :)
It's not about power, Modern ARM processors have plenty of it. Infact I can run Kodi on $25 Amazon FireTV Stick and it also works ok.
Amazon FireTV is also android, but it's certified by Netflix/Amazon etc... the bonus with sideloaded Kodi you can do your ISOs etc...
With these devices you're trusting the man in long coat selling from white van to support Netflix etc...
They probably fine if all you need is to stream local media for I'm not willing to recommend you for streaming services. There are no official netflix plugins for Kodi anymore afaik

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Shameful plug: I'm selling a popcorn hour VTEN if you're interested because I built myself an htpc with a mac mini I had laying around. Not sure if you can get a Netflix app on the VTEN though. DM me if you're interested.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I've started experiencing a few problems with my WD. Here's the list of problems

1. Mapping it as a network drive, in the middle of a transfer, the device would suddenly become unavailable and then I could not get it remapped.
  2. When streaming a show in Netflix, it would stop in the middle of the show saying netflix was unavailable and do I want top retry. I retried somtimes successfully, sometimes requiring a a pull of the power cable
  3. Last night, listening to music from the USB attached hard drive, it would freeze after 6 songs . I had to pull the power to get the unit back again. So I did a reset pushing the reset pin and reconfigured the WD and the symptoms of the device freezing after 6 songs appeared again, this on a different group (file).
So, I'm looking for either another WD with Netflix or a different streaming device that has a Netflix app. What are my options? I don't want a Roku because it prevents me from gaining access to American Netflix ( I live in Canada) and I need the ability to stream ISO files. Does the WD (WDBYMN0000NBK-VESN) contain the netflix app?
Im in the same boat, im down to 1 from a total of three. I get freezes from usb and mine will also if left on while not in use. The netflix problem only happened to me if the unit wasnt hardwired. The cost to step up to popcorn or dune isnt cheap. For now ive ordered 3 more @80 each hopefully i can get another few years out of them. Mine access my server via serviio, whichnive found to be the simplest setup for me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
With these devices you're trusting the man in long coat selling from white van to support Netflix etc...
They probably fine if all you need is to stream local media for I'm not willing to recommend you for streaming services. There are no official netflix plugins for Kodi anymore afaik
I understand the support issue thing but there are quite a few listed in Amazon that have good marks for getting support. Whether or not this is trumped up or not, I'm not sure. I've come to the conclusion that I no longer require Netflix to get the shows/movies I want to stream. I liked Netflix for its user interface in listing movies. I'm sure there will be others that will develop applications for Kodi that will offer a similar user interface to Netflix. I did download a Netflix app into Kodi yesterday that works really well. Its not officially supported I know so it may break down the road if Netflix chooses to update its content delivery mechanism.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't like them because I consider them utterly miserable.

You have hunt and peck remotes.

Not handy to open up a web browser on screen, if you can.

Slow.

Only able to be upgraded at the discretion of someone else.

In my experience they are glitchy and not at all nice to use or won on many levels.

On the other hand an HTPC is fast, and loads pretty much anything almost instantly

Able to get absolutely anything around the NET and world fast

Very easy to integrate VPN tunnels and cloud services.

Integrates easily with my hard drives.

Has disc player that can also burn.

In over three years has proved very reliable.

Extremely easy to use and navigate from full size wireless keyboard.

Windows 10 natively decodes Dolby Digital plus.

Can load all the other codecs.

Can be adapted to provide the very best streaming quality, to really get the best from MPEG DASH. In my view this is a game changer. If you think these miserable devices like ROKU and Amazon Fire can give you optimal quality from these new advances you are dead wrong. You have just not heard and seen optimal streaming quality unless you have a well constructed and set up HTPC.

They provide high quality, versatility, ease of use, fast operations and reliability. If that is what you want, and I believe for the serious enthusiast it does, then it comes hands down for an HTPC over those misery units.

It just in no contest.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Slow.

In my experience they are glitchy and not at all nice to use or won on many levels.

On the other hand an HTPC is fast, and loads pretty much anything almost instantly

Can be adapted to provide the very best streaming quality, to really get the best from MPEG DASH. In my view this is a game changer. If you think these miserable devices like ROKU and Amazon Fire can give you optimal quality from these new advances you are dead wrong. You have just not heard and seen optimal streaming quality unless you have a well constructed and set up HTPC.

They provide high quality, versatility, ease of use, fast operations and reliability. If that is what you want, and I believe for the serious enthusiast it does, then it comes hands down for an HTPC over those misery units.

It just in no contest.
Most of this is true (though Roku and Apple TV are not glitchy or hard to use), but my preference is not to have an HTPC in my HT room. There's no good place for it, you need a keyboard and pointing device, a laptop version also needs a power supply plugged into the wall, I despise Win10, and every PC has a non-silent fan that starts up after a while.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Slow.

It just in no contest.
Your information is a little outdated on these devices. Have you checked the Utube reviews of these devices lately? You can buy wireless keyboards for them eliminating the hunt and peck. You can also install a web browser on them as well. They are extremely fast and on par with HTPC. I watched a couple of reviews and it made the Roku 3 (I consider fast enough) positively slow.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Your information is a little outdated on these devices. Have you checked the Utube reviews of these devices lately? You can buy wireless keyboards for them eliminating the hunt and peck. You can also install a web browser on them as well. They are extremely fast and on par with HTPC. I watched a couple of reviews and it made the Roku 3 (I consider fast enough) positively slow.
None of those units would meet my needs, so I'm really not interested. I bet they don't have enough RAM to optimize MPEG DASH.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Most of this is true (though Roku and Apple TV are not glitchy or hard to use), but my preference is not to have an HTPC in my HT room. There's no good place for it, you need a keyboard and pointing device, a laptop version also needs a power supply plugged into the wall, I despise Win10, and every PC has a non-silent fan that starts up after a while.
No problem for me with a neat installation.

I have two computers. The tower is the audio workstation.

The HTPC is the lower black box. I really like having a full sized keyboard. I tried a small one and hated it.

For me Windows 10 works fine and I love it. I liked Windows 7 but for HTPC Windows 10 is much better.

As for fans, they are variable speed, most of the time they don't run and when they do they run so slowly you can not hear them. This HTPC runs very cool.

A unit like this is the difference between a Ford Fiesta and Rolls Royce.

I'm just not interested in units below the quality of the rest of the system.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bet they don't have enough RAM to optimize MPEG DASH.
You don't understand the fact that I do NOT want the complexity of a PC or its power draw nor do I have the real estate for it.

As far as enough RAM goes, that comes across as the most childish remark I have seen from you. Seriously WTF?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You don't understand the fact that I do NOT want the complexity of a PC or its power draw nor do I have the real estate for it.

As far as enough RAM goes, that comes across as the most childish remark I have seen from you. Seriously WTF?
Obviously you need to install whatever meets your needs.

MPEG DASH is a smart pulsed streaming scheme that auto adjusts to not only your Internet. connection but RAM available on your device. With enough RAM pulses can be spaced 20 sec or more apart. So yes, having lots of RAM will make a difference as more sites adopt it. I frequent three sites that use it, and it is a significant advance in streaming technology.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone interested, here's a demo of a unit I'm considering.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Anyone interested, here's a demo of a unit I'm considering.

I looked at the video. I'm very interested in AV streaming. It is a developing technology that has come to interest and fascinate me greatly.

For most if it works as advertised then it would meet a lot of peoples needs.

I did read reviews and they are mixed. Buggy software is the biggest complaint. Remote seems poor and an external mouse recommended.

Some units seems to blow after a few weeks.

It would not meet my needs for quite a number of reasons. My unit has four time the RAM of that device for a start.

I have an Andoid Google TV device at Eagan You can open a web browser. The unit is to quite a large extent an exercise in frustration. I may make a bare bones device instead.

I think a lot of the trouble with these units is that they are made far too cheaply. For $50 you can't put much into it that is any use.

A classy unit in the $250 to $500 dollar range might fit the bill, with good design and build quality.

Streaming technology and quality are making huge strides rapidly. It is already at the point were it deserves more than cheap boxes have to offer.

I have to say I'm underwhelmed by what I see of that unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis