My thoughts on Energy RC-10 vs Cambridge S30

M

MisterK

Enthusiast
I originally sought out the CA S30 to start off my 5.1 system, but then decided to buy the RC-10 to compare as it was only 60 dollars more.

I am no audiophile and this is my first setup I've ever bought. I bought an Onkyo TX-NR509 to pair it with these speakers. I had the speakers set to large and listened to music on stereo with no sub. I listened to classical, R&B, rap, hip hop, country etc. I listened to everything. I mostly listened to classical, country, Adele, and Leona Lewis however. The tracks I listened to most were all flac files.

I listened to these speakers over 3 days. They were placed on my dresser and about 9 inches away from the wall. Toe'd in slightly and sitting back 4 feet away.

I can't describe my feelings and thoughts as well as others on this board, but I'll try my best with my limited speaker vocab.

Right out of the box, I loved the sound of the S30. The bass was punchy, clean, and articulate. It made its quick boom and left none of that residual boominess. As far as clarity and detail, these speakers are not as clear as the RC-10. Some instruments were not as audible and felt hidden and veiled, especially if there were vocals. This did not matter much to me however, because most of the time these instruments didn't add much to the song anyway.

I felt that these speakers were more forward sounding compared to the RC-10. It was like I was up close to the singer. The vocals stood out more than the instruments and the bass. This is a characteristic that I like however. I want the vocals to stand out, because if a singer has a good voice, I want to hear more of it.

The RC-10 had vocals that felt recessed. Very much like it was "laid back" - like I was seated in the middle of the concert. This is a quality that I really noticed immediately. It was like the vocals blended in too well with the instrumentation that I could not hear it as well. This took the emotion away from a good song. I had to turn the treble to +8 compared to +2 for the CA S30 to get the vocals to shine out a bit.

Detail on the RC-10 was better than the CA S30 IMO. Those little background instruments that tagged along with the vocals were more clearly heard. I also noticed that notes on the piano sounded much more realistic than the S30. I would rather use these speakers for classical music instead of the S30.

Bass on the RC-10 was more boomy than the S30. I toned to bass down to +2 compared to +4 for the S30. Anymore bass than that on the RC-10 and it was boomy.

Al in all, both of these speakers are very good for the money. I would pick the RC-10 for music such as classical and jazz, whereas I would pick S30 for music with good vocals and to those where bass is imporant.

Anybody have any insight on how to let the voice out a little bit more on the RC-10? If I could figure out how besides turning the treble up, I would definitely keep the RC-10. DAMN what a wall of text. If nobody responds I will know why, LOL.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Anybody have any insight on how to let the voice out a little bit more on the RC-10? If I could figure out how besides turning the treble up, I would definitely keep the RC-10. DAMN what a wall of text. If nobody responds I will know why, LOL.
I have the RC mini that I assume has the same tweeter as the RC-10. I don't find them sounding recessed at all.

Did you listen with Audyssey EQ on?

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I pretty much agree with your assessment of these two speakers...

I found the S30 more forward in the upper mids, which made vocals, particularly female vocals, stand out a bit more. On the other hand, I do listen to some heavy metal, and deeper male vocals and "growls" had noticeably more body/depth on the RC-10... I found them a little thin on the S30... Excluding the metal "growls", one example that stands out from my listening sessions was the band Evergrey - with the S30, the vocals seemed lacking in weight/depth to me... The guy doesn't have a particularly deep voice, but his singing sounded more "right" on the RC-10.

I think the RC-10's tweeter is more detailed, and overall I found the RC-10's highs were smoother as well.

The RC-10's are a bit laid back in the mids, and sometimes sound a little recessed in comparison to the S30... On the other hand, I could just as easily say the S30 sometimes sounded a little too edgy in the mids... whereas the RC-10 was smoother. I noticed this especially with certain guitar notes - sometimes on the S30, those notes just sounded sharp.

In the bass department, the RC-10 plays deeper, but the S30 is more articulate, IMO. I feel this is one area the S30 really excels for a speaker this size and price - the extension and bass output is really surprising, and to top it off, it's very well behaved. The RC-10 has alot of bass for a bookshelf speaker, but it isn't as controlled as I like.

I'd recommend plugging the ports of the RC-10...especially with it that close to the wall. I do this even with my RC-10's roughly a foot from the rear wall, and feel it tames the upper bass emphasis a bit, which gives more balanced sound - bass tightens up and isn't exaggerated anymore compared to the mids... which I think helps with the midrange clarity...

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The crossover mod on the Cambridge S30, does address the slight edgy and sharp sound.
The voices and instruments, will sound more realistic and natural - with more depth. The
S30 has a lively presentation, and is not laid back or recessed in the midrange - and it does
present a nice sound stage. I have not listened to the RC 10 - however, I am sure it is nice.

Last edited:
M

MisterK

Enthusiast
I have the RC mini that I assume has the same tweeter as the RC-10. I don't find them sounding recessed at all.

Did you listen with Audyssey EQ on?
I had audyssey EQ on. Definitely noticed the difference with it on. Made the voice come a bit more. If I didn't mention it before, I have the Onkyo TX-NR509.

I was thinking if there is something wrong with my settings. I listened to the RCs in stereo but when I switched to Movie-DPLII there was an even bigger difference (I don't have Music-DPLII for some reason). Voice definitely was much more forward sounding and really showed the strength of a good voice (Dimension set at -2). Movie-DPLII made some instruments stand out way more than I would like tho, like the cymbals. Cymbals became too overbearing and harsh.

Anybody know why my receiver doesn't have Music-DPLII but has Movie-DPLII? I thought its because I only have 2 speakers setup, but its odd how I have Movie-DPLII and not Music-DPLII...

Last edited:
N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
The crossover mod on the Cambridge S30, does address the slight edgy and sharp sound.
The voices and instruments, will sound more realistic and natural - with more depth. The
S30 has a lively presentation, and is not laid back or recessed in the midrange - and it does
present a nice sound stage. I have not listened to the RC 10 - however, I am sure it is nice.
Is there a link to this crossover mod that you can post? Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Jim is Dennis still doing the mod, approx. cost, if you don't mind. What do you think of this modded S30? Is this the same S30?
Cambridge Audio Sirocco S30 :D
The link you provided is a marketing joke - and no real mods
were done to the crossover. No mods are needed on the S30
bass port >> and no internal wire or real low floor stands are
needed.:)

PM Dennis Murphy if interested in a mod - the total cost for
the speakers and mod, will be less than the cost of 2 pairs
of the stock Cambridge.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
The link you provided is a marketing joke - and no real mods
were done to the crossover. No mods are needed on the S30
bass port >> and no internal wire or real low floor stands are
needed.:)

PM Dennis Murphy if interested in a mod - the total cost for
the speakers and mod, will be less than the cost of 2 pairs
of the stock Cambridge.
That was my intended response from you :) Do you think the S30 influenced or biased your not so steller assertion of the 52's, prior to the S30 listening the 22's seemed to be your go to budget speaker, so I guess the 52's are going back home to BB.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That was my intended response from you :) Do you think the S30 influenced or biased your not so steller assertion of the 52's, prior to the S30 listening the 22's seemed to be your go to budget speaker, so I guess the 52's are going back home to BB.
No real bias, there is not that much overall difference between
the stock and modded. However, enough to stand out for the
over-all critical ear. The stock still measures better than some
more expensive big name brand speakers.

The 52's are a good set of towers >> they are a nice step above
the standard entry level - better for me than Infinity and Klipsch,
some PSB and Paradigm. I have plenty of speakers, the 52's will
get a new home somewhere.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
prior to the S30 listening the 22's seemed to be your go to budget speaker, so I guess the 52's are going back home to BB.
The Cambridge has always been my budget favorite, untill it
gets knocked off.

For a tight firm budget from aroud $150 or less, then BS22 is
my choice.

I do understand that some people, will not prefer Pioneer or
the Cambridge S30 stock form.

ahblaza

ahblaza

The Cambridge has always been my budget favorite, untill it
gets knocked off.

For a tight firm budget from aroud $150 or less, then BS22 is
my choice.

I do understand that some people, will not prefer Pioneer or
the Cambridge S30 stock form.
Yes that must be taken into account, I guess that's how most of us are different, our perception of how a speaker sounds is as unique as each one of us. :) Critical ear or not, when I stop listening for faults and start the toe tapping, I know I have arrived...regardless of price...;)

ahblaza

ahblaza

Budget best for me

Just a plug I guess, but my budget BS's to beat (is $299 budget) are the ARX A1b's, I don't want to ruffle any feathers here as I know there have been some not so friendly activity around here with this topic. They are giants in sound compared to their physical size. Full body of weight to the presentation with articulate mid/treble FR, not edgy nor dull, vivid as has been discussed with plenty of air around them. Bass is there in spades as well, not muddy, bloated or lumpy. No measurements available yet. All that I know is the A5 which has the same drivers measured on mid/tweeter axis, at under +/- 3dB across the published bandwidth, I know that's not much to reco these speakers, but listening to them personally, I highly reco a test drive. I will do a 52 comparison with the A1b's, coming soon............:)
Cheers Jeff
PS, I am not a fan boy, just expressing my thoughts and impressions.......;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis