My stereo, eventually to include my home theater (maybe)

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'll just spit the images out first. I took these and posted them elsewhere because a few people wanted to see my stand and know how I had built it. I'll just include those here for fun.

1:

2:

3:

4:

So yeah the equipment is pretty straight forward. From top to bottom:
Rega P2 with Denon DL110 cartridge
NAD PP-2 phono preamp (Got this because it was available locally and inexpensive, turned out to rather like it and will stick with it for now)
NAD C320BEE
NAD C542

Speakers are Axiom M3Tis, and the cables are too long :). I'm going to put some shorter cables on there next week I think and in a month or so I'll be getting new speakers and some better, fillable stands (my currently plan for speakers are a pair of Totem Rainmakers).

If everything doesn't look perfectly lined up or tucked away, that's because they aren't. I just finished dusting and rearranging the bottom shelf and hadn't quite finished putting everything back in their places.

When I get around to it I'll take some pictures of the home theater in the other room as well.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
thats a good looking stereo emorphien, makes me wish I had a turntable.
BTW, how's imaging with the Axioms so close together?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
no. 5 said:
thats a good looking stereo emorphien, makes me wish I had a turntable.
BTW, how's imaging with the Axioms so close together?
They haven't always been that close together, but it's actually fairly good. I was listening to something earlier today and I thought the vocals were coming from my left.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of room, although that's not their usual home. They usually have at least another foot of space between them.

Right now I'm having internal turmoil over whether to get the Rainmakers or not (which I will experience regardless of what I choose, it's how I am). Being in my situation and that $1000 is a lot of money, any one person being excessively negative about anything I've liked is going to get me all grumpy and paranoid :)

Last edited:
no. 5

no. 5

the Rainmakers are great. the Rainmakers are great. the Rainmakers are great. :D

no. 5

no. 5

emorphien said:
They haven't always been that close together, but it's actually fairly good. I was listening to something earlier today and I thought the vocals were coming from my left.
befor I had set-up my system, I had the KEF's a foot apart, the imaging was not to bad, I mean you had to be a foot away for anything impressive, but still.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Haha have you even heard the Rainmakers? I'm confident with them. I'm also always just slow, steady and cautious when it comes to spending my money.

At the distance the speakers are apart in the picture I had been listening about 6 or 6.5 feet away, so a bit more than how far they were separated from each other (probably around 5 feet).

no. 5

no. 5

emorphien said:
Haha have you even heard the Rainmakers? I'm confident with them.
sadly no, just about all of the brands I would like to aduition don't have retailers within 250 miles of where I live. :mad:
(sorry if I offended :eek: )

emorphien said:
I'm also always just slow, steady and cautious when it comes to spending my money.
which is why you can afored the Rainmakers ( :cool: ), and I can't ( :( ).

no. 5

no. 5

hay emorphien,
just noticed the the new sig, how are the Rainmakers?
any chance of pic's?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'll get to impressions on the Rainmakers and some pics later this week :)

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
here's a couple pictures for starters.

I'll get around to commenting on the speakers later, although put simply, I love em!

The stands were a splurge, I just love the look and build of them and the Belkin PureAV was a gift.

no. 5

no. 5

the Totems are beautiful, and those are some fantasticly sturdy looking stands. :cool:
I have that same model Belkin PureAV in my HT. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Those are very nice looking speakers, hope they sound as good as they look.:)

V

Vault 35

Enthusiast
I have that same Led Zeppelin box set. Handsome NAD formality, and of course the speakers and stands are gorgeous.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
OK, so briefly:

After auditioning a bunch of things below 1k and a handful of things climbing over 2.5-3k, I had to settle on something in my budget and for my taste the Rainmakers weren't so much settling as finding something that really did a lot of things I like.

They're not neutral speakers, they're on the warmer side which is just how I like em. The tweeters are extended and much more detailed than the speakers they replaced (Axioms). Overall there's more separation between instruments and a much larger and more engaging soundstage. The attack on percussion is also the the most immediate and clear of any speaker I've owned, but of course these are also the most expensive speakers I've owned.

In my room I'm not having much issue with lumpy bass which was a bit of a problem with the Axioms although moving them away from the walls more helped. The bass is more linear and FAR more extended with clear output reaching down to the low 40Hz range which is perfect for the majority of what I listen to. The bass is not just one note either, walking bass lines have a punch and separation that makes them believable (although perhaps not quite like sitting next to the bassist as I used to when I played jazz).

They're not perfect, I've found on certain tracks that the bass can get a little lost (what else do I expect from a small bookshelf speaker with 5.5" drivers). The high frequencies on some albums can be unpleasant, but as I'm finding that may be more of an issue with the album than the speaker itself, as they're proving to be quite revealing. I found static in a CD I never knew was there before :mad: The clarity and high level dynamics can't match some of the more expensive speakers I heard, but I doubt I'd have found anything I liked better without going well outside my budget. I did have more money I could have spent, but I just didn't feel a great need to and didn't find it justified at this point in my life.

Overall, I am very happy. I don't think I'll be searching for something better until I'm done with grad school and have considerably more money to spend. These are more than 3x the price of my old speakers, so I'll probably look to set a limit of at least that much next time although there's no reason I have to spend that much if I find something killer for less of course.

Last edited:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Damn, I was hoping I might get the $1000 Axiom thingy :(

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
You should be proud of the system you've built,it looks like a sweet sounding & well though out rig:)

Im a huge fan of the totem line & the totem sound,have you had the chance to hear the Totem Mani 2's yet? If i was to ever down size my systems the Mani 2's would replace the line arrays in my main rig,their that good.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Thanks for the compliments, it's been a steady process to build my stereo to where it is now. I'm hoping to stick with it until I'm done with graduate school.

As far as the Mani 2's, no I have not. My local shop had most of the Totems but not those. I would love to hear them though.

And mr Axiom prize winner, if you aren't gonna use it lemme know. I've love to do a makeover on my home theater :).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
emorphien said:
I'm hoping to stick with it until I'm done with graduate school.
You know what I had when I was in grad school? The cassette player in my car stereo. Man how things have changed...nice setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis