My Statements Build

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
They look nice, and match your house well. How do they sound? Any measurements going to take place?

jinjuku

jinjuku

They look nice, and match your house well. How do they sound? Any measurements going to take place?
I have one more to glue up (takes a 2nd person). Hopefully both will be in place Wednesday.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Mission Accomplished!!!

THEY ARE DONE...

I only have to dust the right speaker baffle with another coat of paint to take care of some blocking from some clamps.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Congratulations!! They look great after all that hard work.

They are big! 120 lbs each and as high as your shoulders. I look forward to your listening impressions.

I have them placed 18" from backwall and 12" from sidewall. Slight toe in to listening position. So this is my starting point for tweaks.

What I can tell you is they have a very generous sweet spot. Listening to some very familiar material Rachmaninoff piano concerto's, Al Di Meola, Holtz shows me a very layered sound in respects to instrument placement. They are an extremely revealing speaker.

As a particular example: Al Di Meola's 'Carol of the Bells'. The guitar playing is slightly left and the bass more center, the drum and brush cymbals tend to fill more of the sound stage left and right and sit behind the guitar work. Just jaw dropping. The brush cymbals are more pronounced than any speaker I have evaluated this track on to date. They are there without being aggressive and you can hear all the decay as the cymbal diminishes. Very lush and full. It was an immediate detail that just put a big *** grin on my face.

You can definitely hear the finger work on the strings of the guitar.

BTW this is all on my cheapie Tascam USB MK-144II and Behringer A500. I have to make the needed TRS to XLR and TRS to RCA cables to play around with my Crown and Parasound amp from the EMU 1212m PCIe.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Looking really good man! I'm anxious to hear your impressions. I have yet to hear a pair for myself. I'm actually trying to convince a friend of mine to build these just so I can hear them. His wife hasn't bought off on them though. :D
Based on my initial listening be careful what you wish for:D You may have to build a pair for yourself. These things are just frightening with the imaging and sound stage they produce.

With four 8" woofers handling everything from, I believe, 220Hz on down is just devastating. The RS 225's are just accurate. It's a lot of surface area driving just that tactile range of bass.

The creators really designed this speaker to allow all transducers to simply play in their most comfortable range and it shows in spades.

I can see why D-Sonic Amplifier Co. uses the Statements as their reference piece.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats on finishing a long and enduring project....

They look like they turned out great.... I did not know that D-Sonic has those for his own speakers... I have a 5 channel for my second system - great amp.

Glad to hear that you are thrilled with the results after all the hard work and effort put in.... I would really love to hear a pair....

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ok, The wife's at work;):D

I have the XLR/TRS made so running with the 1212m PCIe and Crown.

These speakers are phcking SICK. I mean demented, twisted, evil, carnal, they are bass/mid/tweet sociopaths with little regard for the unaware audio public at large.

Buwahahahahah! My god. Things things are MONSTERS (please, no lawsuits Noel).

Put through some Rush, Rusted Root, Eric Johnson. Kodo is next:eek: They definitely do not need a sub.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Lookin' good! I wanted to build the mini's a while ago but I don't have much experience with ribbon tweeters and didn't know how I would like them. Plus I've never built a crossover in my life.

M

Mjaudio

Audiophyte
Great build jin!

I am with darien on the x-over being the one area that makes me a little skitish on building speakers as opposed to subs. One of these days I will have to give it a shot though to see how they compare to my Von Schweikerts.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Great build jin!

I am with darien on the x-over being the one area that makes me a little skitish on building speakers as opposed to subs.
start with a cheap 2-way speaker/crossover with minimal components, to get some experience, if an expensive, big 3-way like the statements seems intimidating. Something like the Seas ER18DXT looks like a good place to start.

M

Mjaudio

Audiophyte
Thanks for the tips. I am sure it's not too bad but when you have never done a x-over and have no electrical background it's intimidating just looking at the schematics.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the tips. I am sure it's not too bad but when you have never done a x-over and have no electrical background it's intimidating just looking at the schematics.
The schematics are pretty basic... it's basically first year electromagnetism type stuff - you can learn how to read these things completely in a day or two.

Anyways I remember my first time with a soldering iron :D

I googled "How to mod a PS2"
I went to radioshack and bought my first soldering iron and some solder.
I then googled "How to use a soldering iron"
I wet some paper towels, plugged the soldering iron, got to work!! :D
5 hours later, I realized something.
I was trying to solder points I couldn't even see with my eyes, never mind touch with the soldering iron.

Compared to those tiny circuit boards, audio stuff is easy :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

The schematics are pretty basic... it's basically first year electromagnetism type stuff - you can learn how to read these things completely in a day or two.

Anyways I remember my first time with a soldering iron :D

I googled "How to mod a PS2"
I went to radioshack and bought my first soldering iron and some solder.
I then googled "How to use a soldering iron"
I wet some paper towels, plugged the soldering iron, got to work!! :D
5 hours later, I realized something.
I was trying to solder points I couldn't even see with my eyes, never mind touch with the soldering iron.

Compared to those tiny circuit boards, audio stuff is easy :D
LOL, I made some good coin in the day chipping PS2 and Gen1 Xbox's. $60 / pop in and out in 15 minutes. Enough for a 1/3 down payment on my first new car:eek::D

jinjuku

jinjuku

Hi Jim,

Hit Curt Cambells site.

Page with PDF of the B.O.M. Prices are higher than the PDF (the mids went up). Just scroll to the bottom.

My advice on the build is if you can: dado the entire 4x8 sheet if you can for the back, the braces and the mid-tunnel assembly. Make sure the sheet you get is 97X49. Mine was 96X48 and I calculated cuts with the extra inch in mind and that presented some problems.

Once you have the sheet dado'd out you can cut out all your panels (namely just the sides top and bottom)

If porting out the back extend the bottom leading edge of the sides by 3/4" and glue in a ply insert so you can wood screw a base on. So the bottom of the cabinet will be 1.5" thick.

Let me know when you get to the baffles and I will line out what I did to get a super aggressive champfer.

If you want I can put together the cross overs. Just let me know.

J

JimAckley

Enthusiast
I'm pretty amazed at how much they don't cost, per se. I think I'm going to try to offload my LSi25s and give these a shot.

Edit: I do, however, think I'm going to go for higher end crossover components than what they used.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis