My new system, any thoughts

J

Jay

Junior Audioholic
All, I am new to this forum and appreciate any thoughts. I have decided on Axiom speakers VP150 as center, M22 as fronts, QS4 as rears and EP350 for sub. My room is 22x17x7.8 with a 10 foot opening in the rear to the kitchen.

I am planning on purchasing either the Denon AVR2805 or the Yamaha RXV1500 reciever as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Would it be worth the cost upgrade to go to the M60's, QS8's and EP500 or any one of each. Any suggestions on the reciever (I included the reciever here since it fits my question of speakers). Looking to spend between 2K and 3K for everything but don't wish to spend more than need be.

Thanks in advance for your valued opinions.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think you can find a higher value for your subwoofer. While the EP350 is a good sub, I think you can do better for ther price (the 500 is a different story though). I say this based on what others have said. I have not personally used the product, but you may find a better value from something like the Hsu VTF-3, Outlaw LFM-1, or Hsu PB-12 ISD-V. While the first and last options I listed are more than the Axiom, they offer lower extention and higher output, and still come in under the price of the EP500.

As far as the upgrades go, have you talked to Axiom directly? They can give you solid advice that will help you choose the best system for your needs. Give them a call or e-mail.

J

Jay

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I have spoken to Axiom. They indicated that they would agree that in the past there would have been better value than the 350 sub at the price. However, they indicated that in recent months they did some new rewiring with crossover and a bunch of other jargon I do not understand and that no longer would they agree that there is now better value in the market at the 350 price. I am not sure if this was just a sales pitch though. Any thoughts?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps, but their specs list the -3dB point of the sub at 28Hz anechoically. The Outlaw is 25Hz, the Hsu 20Hz, and the SVS 18Hz. If you like to watch movies with lots of low frequency stuff, or really anything with a lot of really low bass, then I still don't think the Axiom is a good choice. It doesn't go that deep.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis