My new Corsair SP2500 desktop speakers sound terrible to me - what can I do?

P

PCJake

Audiophyte
I literally just discovered these forums 10 minutes ago, so I don't know if posting about computer desktop speakers is appropriate here. Here goes:

I had a set of Logitech Z-2300 speakers for about 5 years and, frankly, I loved them. They sounded extremely clear to me. I used them with a Creative Xtreme-Gamer sound card and I always had the Crystallizer at 100%. Maybe that's a sin, but I'm just being honest about what I like. The Crystallizer added a lot of crispness, and I tend to like more treble than midtones.

The subwoofer for the Z-2300s started cutting out 50% of the time - I could get it to kick back in by cranking the volume on the remote very briefly. I decided to go with the Corsair SP2500 set to replace them, and I really thought they would be as good, or possibly better - but I am NOT liking them so far.

Here's the problem: They sound so muffled. I have my windows volume at 50% and the Crystallizer at 100%. I don't have any programs or EQ settings applied anywhere. It honestly sounds to me like there is something sitting right in front of my speakers all the time. And the frustrating thing is that I DON'T think there's anything wrong with them. I just don't like how they sound :(

OK, I can return these to Newegg and find a replacement sub for my Z-2300 on ebay, but shipping them back will be expensive and I'll have to pay a 15% restocking fee, so if it's at all possible I would like to avoid that. If there's anything I can do that I haven't thought of, please let me know. Thanks!

Side note: I actually love the sub in this set, it feels more like real bass than it did with the Z-2300 sub.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

That's got to be disappointing, but maybe we can help out. Try listening to them with the subwoofer turned off (if possible) or way down. It might be that the bass on the sub is muddy due to placement in your room, and that's causing the overall sound to be off and seem muffled. When I got my Creative ZiiSound T6 speakers, I didn't love them at first - but I could tell that it was the sub that sounded off. I had the sub placed under my desk, and once I relocated it, they sound great. If you listen to them with the sub turned way down and they sound clear, then experiment with placement of the sub.

P

PCJake

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum!

That's got to be disappointing, but maybe we can help out. Try listening to them with the subwoofer turned off (if possible) or way down. It might be that the bass on the sub is muddy due to placement in your room, and that's causing the overall sound to be off and seem muffled. When I got my Creative ZiiSound T6 speakers, I didn't love them at first - but I could tell that it was the sub that sounded off. I had the sub placed under my desk, and once I relocated it, they sound great. If you listen to them with the sub turned way down and they sound clear, then experiment with placement of the sub.
That's a good thought, but it doesn't seem to make any difference with the sub off. In fact, one of the things I like about this sub is that it doesn't seem to interfere much with the rest of the sound - it minds it's own business when it needs to, and then kicks when there's a bass note. The Logitech Z-2300 seemed more like it was "always on" - if I had the sub set high it, then it simply added bass to everything, even when it probably shouldn't have. And yet, with the Z-2300 set, overall, it felt much more like the music was "right in my ears." With the SP2500s, the music and sound seems more "far away." For example, when someone is speaking on a Youtube or Netflix video, it sounds more like they're speaking in another room and I'm trying to hear it with my ear up against the door. That's an exaggeration, it's not that muffled, but it's the best way I can think to describe my problem. Thanks for such a polite response!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you don't like the way they sound, and no processing like EQing is helping, you will need to send them back. Supposedly that set of speakers some with some different equalization curves, have you toyed with them at all? Are there manual adjustments you can make to the EQ? If you have the desktop space, I would just send those speakers back and get some studio monitors. They will sound much better.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I have to go along with J. If they aren't broken, then it's just that their sound simply doesn't suit your taste and that's perfectly fine. That's wy there are so many different companies selling the same type product.

I ope you can return them.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have always used Logitech speakers for the most part, and actually use the wireless 5.1 model in my bedroom right now...at least until I pick up my new AVR and start to do my bedroom.

- They Sounded great, at least until I invested in a nice pair of speakers when I was at the emotiv road show. They were in their break out room and they filled a small conference room with very solid sound.

Airmotiv 4 Powered Studio Monitor (pair) | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers,

They were 20% off and I was either going to get these or the bose 2.1 system. I can honestly say that I made the right choice as these speakers blew me away and they don't even use a sub.

If budget is an issue, other recommendations I would use:

ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers | Klipsch

Amazon.com: M-Audio BX5 D2 5" Active 2-Way Studio Monitor Speakers: Musical Instruments

If you get a good quality pair of speakers you won't miss the sub of the lower end 2.1 computer speakers.

P

PCJake

Audiophyte
If you don't like the way they sound, and no processing like EQing is helping, you will need to send them back. Supposedly that set of speakers some with some different equalization curves, have you toyed with them at all? Are there manual adjustments you can make to the EQ? If you have the desktop space, I would just send those speakers back and get some studio monitors. They will sound much better.
Yes, I've tried all the EQ settings on the remote, plus I've tried improving it with the Creative equalizer, and I've got it to sound somewhat clearer, but there's a pervasive muffling that I can't get past. Without EQ tweaks or crystallizer, if sounds muffled and hollow - WITH the EQ set to "rock" and the crystallizer set to 100%, it sounds oversharp (even to me) and STILL muffled and "far away."

I have always used Logitech speakers for the most part, and actually use the wireless 5.1 model in my bedroom right now...at least until I pick up my new AVR and start to do my bedroom.

- They Sounded great, at least until I invested in a nice pair of speakers when I was at the emotiv road show. They were in their break out room and they filled a small conference room with very solid sound.

Airmotiv 4 Powered Studio Monitor (pair) | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers,

They were 20% off and I was either going to get these or the bose 2.1 system. I can honestly say that I made the right choice as these speakers blew me away and they don't even use a sub.

If budget is an issue, other recommendations I would use:

ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers | Klipsch

Amazon.com: M-Audio BX5 D2 5" Active 2-Way Studio Monitor Speakers: Musical Instruments

If you get a good quality pair of speakers you won't miss the sub of the lower end 2.1 computer speakers.
Those are awesome suggestions, thanks. I really can't bring myself to settle on these speakers just because they're "supposed" to be good, when they just don't sound good to me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you have a Guitar Center near you, go in and audition some of their monitors to get a taste of that sort of sound. A word of warning though, you will end up wanting the more expensive speakers!

P

PCJake

Audiophyte
If you have a Guitar Center near you, go in and audition some of their monitors to get a taste of that sort of sound. A word of warning though, you will end up wanting the more expensive speakers!
Solid advice. A guy from another forum mentioned to me that it sounded like my Logitech sub volume control just needed to be cleaned and then it would work like new, so I'll stick with the Logitechs that I'm used to, assuming that's the case. THEN, when I'm ready to go to the next level, I'll go to Guitar Center (2 hour drive, but hey - worth the effort).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis