My Laptop Died, Need a new HTPC

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Or another laptop. I haven't computer shopped in a long time. The lappy I was using for an HTPC will show the startup screen then it goes black and stays that way. The cursor is still visible and can be moved around, but for all intents an purposes it's a brick right now. sure am glad I backed up all my music!

So, I'm shopping for something new. Doesn't HAVE to be an HTPC, But that's basically what it'll be designated as. Budget is 3-400 bucks, but as usual I can bump that up if it's worth it. I'd like to get something that will do 4k and has a minimum of 6-8g ram? I dunno for sure. Like I said I haven't shopped for a pc in a long time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man... slow day. Should I post this in general?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Or another laptop. I haven't computer shopped in a long time. The lappy I was using for an HTPC will show the startup screen then it goes black and stays that way. The cursor is still visible and can be moved around, but for all intents an purposes it's a brick right now. sure am glad I backed up all my music!

So, I'm shopping for something new. Doesn't HAVE to be an HTPC, But that's basically what it'll be designated as. Budget is 3-400 bucks, but as usual I can bump that up if it's worth it. I'd like to get something that will do 4k and has a minimum of 6-8g ram? I dunno for sure. Like I said I haven't shopped for a pc in a long time.
I personally like the Intel NUC i5. I use one is Eagan, and it is excellent. It is a bit above budget, and I know some will say you can get cheaper. However that unit has excellent build quality. I always go for quality. Use it with a Logitec wireless keyboard. You will need to buy RAM and SSD plus Windows 10.

If you buy a laptop in your budget, you will buy JUNK.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I certainly would not buy it. 11 out of 28 critical reviews with failures. Yes, I would put that in the junk category.

When it comes to laptops, I won't use anything less then the Dell Latitude series. I'm on my second one. The first one still works but got outdated. I replaced it when I went to Windows 10.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I certainly would not buy it. 11 out of 28 critical reviews with failures. Yes, I would put that in the junk category.

When it comes to laptops, I won't use anything less then the Dell Latitude series. I'm on my second one. The first one still works but got outdated. I replaced it when I went to Windows 10.
I read those complaints. A lot of them were over Windows with a hard drive. He can also get this Dell Latitude:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-3567-laptop/cai153w10p7b106b

But it's an i3 CPU, and I don't have any experience with i3s for HT. (The GPU might be too slow for good motion reproduction; I'm not sure.)

Windows without an SSD is annoying, IMO, so any Windows machine with just an HDD isn't worth buying, but that's just me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

With that budget, I agree with TLS, it will only be a headache if you go for a NEW laptop on that budget. But, I have had excellent results getting refurb Dell Latitude Series from NewEgg at ~$400 price range! I got the GF a Dell Latitude for $400 a few years ago, NewEgg refurb, and it looked new to me. No problems with it at all. The Latitude doesn't tend to be the lightest and slimmest out there, but they are work horses!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I read those complaints. A lot of them were over Windows with a hard drive. He can also get this Dell Latitude:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-3567-laptop/cai153w10p7b106b

But it's an i3 CPU, and I don't have any experience with i3s for HT. (The GPU might be too slow for good motion reproduction; I'm not sure.)

Windows without an SSD is annoying, IMO, so any Windows machine with just an HDD isn't worth buying, but that's just me.
That's an Inspirion line, not the work-horse Latitude (you want the Latitude).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

SSD is mandatory for Windows 10 IMO.

For HTPC the Ivy Bridge i5 hits the sweet spot for price performance. Those integrated processors are the perfect answer for HTPC.

If HTPC is the main application, then Windows 10, SSD and integrated i5 is absolutely the way to go. I'm running that on two systems now and its perfection. I would not consider anything else.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
With that budget, I agree with TLS, it will only be a headache if you go for a NEW laptop on that budget. But, I have had excellent results getting refurb Dell Latitude Series from NewEgg at ~$400 price range! I got the GF a Dell Latitude for $400 a few years ago, NewEgg refurb, and it looked new to me. No problems with it at all. The Latitude doesn't tend to be the lightest and slimmest out there, but they are work horses!
I know a few people who had problems with refurb computers or related stuff, even from Apple. You got lucky, which is good. Also, I like NewEgg; perhaps they are more trustworthy than other sources.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I know a few people who had problems with refurb computers or related stuff, even from Apple. You got lucky, which is good. Also, I like NewEgg; perhaps they are more trustworthy than other sources.
I have bought many, many items from NewEgg over the years. My tower PC was mostly NewEgg parts, maybe a few pieces off Amazon if they were cheaper. I have always been quite pleased with them, I even got a set of DT SM350 for $200 a few years ago.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I swapped out my 2 HTPCs for Raspberri Pi 3 with a 64Gb SD card and OSMC/Kodi...linked up to my QNAP NAS. Never looked back. I use an HDHomeRun for TV (used to use WMC), Plex for digital media, and MCBuddy to strip out the commercials of my recorded TV.

The hardware headaches are gone, the bluescreens are gone, etc.

Rather than start with a budget and a new laptop as the answer, start with what you need to do? Watch TV, watch 4k content (which I know you indicated, but is that a reality), stream media, surf the web, etc.

Once you have built the list of what it MUST do and what would be NICE to do...then you can start looking at solutions.

my 2 cents...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I swapped out my 2 HTPCs for Raspberri Pi 3 with a 64Gb SD card and OSMC/Kodi...linked up to my QNAP NAS. Never looked back. I use an HDHomeRun for TV (used to use WMC), Plex for digital media, and MCBuddy to strip out the commercials of my recorded TV.

Rather than start with a budget and a new laptop as the answer, start with what you need to do? Watch TV, watch 4k content (which I know you indicated, but is that a reality), stream media, surf the web, etc.

Once you have built the list of what it MUST do and what would be NICE to do...then you can start looking at solutions.

my 2 cents...
I think ease of set up and use has to come into the equation also. Yours to me, with respect looks like a somewhat geeky solution. My wife and grandchildren have no trouble working my systems.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I've decided I don't want another laptop. Too expensive. I was using one because we had it. I think I'm gonna get some more bang for my buck with a pc. I have probably about 400 I can spend, including buying the software. It just dawned on me that I've never bought a pc before. I've always had a laptop or my tablet. I guess I assumed they came pre-installed with an os or at least a disc.

I figure if I'm buying new I might as well try to update. I'd like something that'll do 4k and plays well with Kodi. And of course music too. It's starting to look like 400 might be a bit low still, huh? Maybe if I bump it up to 500?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah, I've decided I don't want another laptop. Too expensive. I was using one because we had it. I think I'm gonna get some more bang for my buck with a pc. I have probably about 400 I can spend, including buying the software. It just dawned on me that I've never bought a pc before. I've always had a laptop or my tablet. I guess I assumed they came pre-installed with an os or at least a disc.

I figure if I'm buying new I might as well try to update. I'd like something that'll do 4k and plays well with Kodi. And of course music too. It's starting to look like 400 might be a bit low still, huh? Maybe if I bump it up to 500?
An Intel NUC i5 will cost you $709.77 fully kitted out..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

my 2 cents...
Everything my laptop did, but in 4k. Don't need a gaming rig.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
An Intel NUC i5 will cost you $709.77 fully kitted out..
I should mention a buddy of mine came over and got my laptop back up and running. That doesn't mean this thread doesn't have a purpose still tho. I'd still like to upgrade and I just got 200 bucks for one of my old receivers. 710 isn't a horrible price. Still more than I'd like to spend. I'd like to stick around 500 total. 600 if there's like, no other way.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Core I3 is fine, but today I won't touch pc with OS/apps running on hard drive. It just so bad.
Even race to bottom with SSD makes to replace reasonably fast with much cheap and slower TLC chips, even the latter with a bit of RAM/SLC caching, still work just fine. Case in point Samsung EVO series.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis