My Hsu STF 3 arrived today!!

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
It finally arrived....had to carry this 85 pound bohemoth from the post office, up to my suite on the 9th floor...just about to unpack it...will let you guys know....bought the new AC/DC DVD just to try it out!! Ahhhhhh...life is good. :)

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
Awesome!!

You will have lots of fun with it. It is a very powerful sub.

I can't wait for the upgrade for it! :D

Report back soon.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
my first impression is this is WAYYY too big. The STF2 or VTF 2 would have been plenty. i think i have serious overkill, if there is such a thing...

I also find the crossover on the sub sounds much better than my Denon. Why is that? I am around 70hz and it sound great.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
How was your experience with David Elderton?

I've been meaning to call him, but whenever i'm not busy with school, studying and work, he's always either busy or on a job, so i havn't had a chance to talk to him.

How big is your room? I'm still trying to decide between the STF1 and the STF2. Though i'm sure the STF1 is an overachiever, I still can't help but think i'd be better off with the STF2. I'd be interested to see how much of an overkill the STF3 is in the dimensions of yoru room.

Last edited:
Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
my existing room is 12 x 12...this sub looks ridiculous in there. I am seriously considering calling Dave Ellerton tomorrow to see if he can do something to get me the VTF 2. It looks like it will be plenty and with the variable tuning, and it's smaller size, i am wishing I got that one now. I had no idea these Hsu subs were as big as they are. If I can do this easily, without losing any cash on shipping etc, I will exchange it.

As for the sound, i can't really tell yet as I have to screw around with it. i am stuck leaving it where it is now, between my left speaker and the TV, against the wall. Actually is better there than on the other side of the left speaker in the corner (at least my old one was) because it's too boomy in the corner and I wanted to seperate my two fronts more for a better soundstage and better seperation... I did get some small carpets from a local carpet shop to put under it as i have hard wood floors. That made a difference...a little tighter now. I also stuffed one of the ports with a towel and did hear a loss in volume loudness, but heard a deeper, punchier sound with music.

I actually have a question if anyone can answer: If you are using the crossover on the sub and have the crossoverswitched down to "in", why do you still hear a difference sound when adjusting the crossover frequency on the Denon.....am I crossing it over twice??? Anyways, my system sounds much better and more evened out since I started using the crossover on the sub. I can fine tune it better than the Denon does going up in 20hz increments...

P

Peter Marcks

Banned
Hello Johnny,

12x12??? I think you are on the right track, I am pretty sure that the VTF-2 MKII would do justice to that room. There is definitely a significant difference in size between the 2 and 3 series! And let's not forget, the VTF-2 MKII (and STF-3 and VTF-3 MKII) will all have a performance-enhancing option at some point in the future.

Why pay more than you need to, right?

Take care!

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Definitely bypass the sub crossover. Even if the crossover is set high, there is always a bit of an additive effect as the crossover frequency still affects frequencies below the marked point.

If you can't live with the size of sub in your room, then the VTF-2 is definitely worth a try as it's visually much smaller. Too bad you didn't realize this sooner!

I had taken a cardboard box from a previous sub, and stuck it in the corner, and compared it the dimensions of the Hsu, and then I realized I couldn't handle a Hsu. So that's why I chose the Mirage sub....it just worked better in my room. The SVS would have been even worse as it's wider and deeper than the Hsu.

Last edited:
ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
wider and deeper in size or sound??
(as I'm thinking of a STF-1 or entry SVS)

My room is about the same... 12x15, and after emailing HSU they suggested an STF-1, not even a 2.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
wider/deeper....size, as in the amount of floorspace it takes up.

I would go for a STF-2 in the room such as yours. My previous room is not much bigger than yours and I didn't feel a sub like STF-2 was overpowering in the room. It's really a matter of how big of a box you can tolerate. Sound wise, even a really big sub can be tuned to work with a smaller room as long as it can be placed properly. That's the biggest knock against buying too big, as you'll run into placement limitations due to physical size. The knock against the STF-1 is that it's only rated down to around 32Hz, which is not enough IMHO.

Last edited:
P

paulwalker

Audiophyte
Rated to 32Hz flat, yes, but the STF-1 should have useable extension below 30Hz with in-room gain. Tom Nousaine tested the subwoofer, and it had 98% bandwith uniformity at and above 25Hz. The STF-2 is better, but the STF-1 is much smaller too.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
when then I'm most likely gonna go with the SVS PB10-ISD - since the extension from what I've read is one of the top for subs around $400.
total price of the
STF-2 ~425
SVS ~ $467

Is the sound from the svs worth $42? I'm new to all this audio stuff... I have no clue! heh... (what do I want??? a good deep sound for movies... that I can feel in action flicks... and a great support for Audio... Organ works, Bass Guitar rifts... etc)

New to setting up a HT system... but a audio lover.

P

paulwalker

Audiophyte
Extra extension is worth paying for, since you have lower distortion in the lowest frequencies. However, low end extension alone will not determine overall sound quality in the common frequency range. You will need to compare both to determine that. With material above 25Hz, don't be too surprised if you prefer the STF2 at times. There is also issues of size. The STF2 must be smaller than the PB by a noticeable margin.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I'm sure you'll be pretty happy with the PB-10. For movies, getting true response below 25Hz adds a new dimension to movies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis