My First Headphones Sennheiser HD 600

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hello All,

I just purchased my first set of headphones tonight. Sennheiser HD 600

I've very excited over this purchase. I tried to audition them this weekend, but couldn't find a place that stocked them. So I hope I'm going to like them. From what I've read on all the reviews, I think I will. :D :D :D

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sennheiser from Santa

I put the HD 280 on my santa list from recommendations from other members for <$100 phones. I'm very happy with them and seem to be well made. I'm pleased with their balance and ability to handle bass better than expected. I bet the 600's will sound terrific.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're gonna be real disappointed...

..when you wanna upgrade. :D It ain't gonna be easy.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Hi mazersteven,

I've had a pair of HD600s for a few years, and I must say I love 'em.

I'm told that they respond much better to a headphone amp, and certainly they seem to need something reasonable to drive them (they don't work too well on portable CD players - at least the ones I've tried anyway).

They sound great to me when plugged into most hifi amps/receivers, and I don't have a headphone amp. Let us know what you think, but you should be happy!

EDIT: I forgot to add...

When I was looking for a pair of 'phones I went to a decent audio place and tried a number of Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic units - all good.

I mentioned to the guy at the shop that I'd seen a place doing the HD600s for a seriously good price, and he told me that they didn't have any in themselves, but they were very good, and recommended that I didn't miss the chance to get one - even though it was at a different shop!

In other words... they seem to have quite a few fans!

Last edited:
J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
I love my Sennheiser HD525's - still going strong and bought them in 1998. Also try the PXC-250 noise-cancelling headphones! Now there's a PXC-300 that I'm anxious to try out.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
markw said:
..when you wanna upgrade. :D It ain't gonna be easy.
LMAO Ha Ha Funny Post. I sure hope it's not going to be easy. :D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
sploo said:
Hi mazersteven,

I've had a pair of HD600s for a few years, and I must say I love 'em.

I'm told that they respond much better to a headphone amp, and certainly they seem to need something reasonable to drive them (they don't work too well on portable CD players - at least the ones I've tried anyway).

They sound great to me when plugged into most hifi amps/receivers, and I don't have a headphone amp. Let us know what you think, but you should be happy!

EDIT: I forgot to add...

When I was looking for a pair of 'phones I went to a decent audio place and tried a number of Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic units - all good.

I mentioned to the guy at the shop that I'd seen a place doing the HD600s for a seriously good price, and he told me that they didn't have any in themselves, but they were very good, and recommended that I didn't miss the chance to get one - even though it was at a different shop!

In other words... they seem to have quite a few fans!
I'll be plugging the Senn's into my Denon 4806. so I'm hoping I'm not going to need an Amp. But for some reason while reading all the threads at HighFi.org I'm going to end up with one.
I have an e-mail into Denon to find out what Internal Amp they use. :D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mazersteven said:
I'll be plugging the Senn's into my Denon 4806. so I'm hoping I'm not going to need an Amp. But for some reason while reading all the threads at HighFi.org I'm going to end up with one.
Head-fi.org is heavy soaked in snake oil. Listen to their [often poor] advice concerning headphone amplification at your own risk. If you want factual responses, ask somewhere else.

-Chris

Last edited:
S

sploo

Full Audioholic
mazersteven said:
Well, try them first and see what you think.

I use mine with an ancient Goodmans hifi system (cheap and nasty when I bought it 10+ years ago) and an Arcam AVR300.

Funnily enough, they sound better on the Arcam :p, but it's fine on the cheap system too.

EDIT: Damn... WmAx! It didn't take me 2 mins to write that post... how'd you get in first ;)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
WmAx said:
Head-fi.org is heavy soaked in snake oil. Listen to their [often poor] advice concerning headphone amplification at your own risk. If you want factual responses, ask somewhere else.

-Chris
Thanks for the "Heads-Up" LOL Do you recommend any other forum for headphones? :D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mazersteven said:
Thanks for the "Heads-Up" LOL Do you recommend any other forum for headphones? :D
Head-fi is fine, if you use it only as a rough selection guide. It's the biggest headphone resource around; you just have to learn to pick out the real info from the bull; unfortuntely it's mostly bull. If you need straight up technical information relating to amplifiers or headphones, ask on this audioholics. But if you need specific features(and you know what they are), ask on head-fi to get a wide range of knowledge in finding what you need so far as specific products. Just watch out whenever you see someone making claims of this amp or cable having any particular sound quality.

-Chris

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Grats on the buy man! Nice cans.

I'm about to drop down on a Grado SR-325i, or an Allessandro MS-2....still having troubles deciding....probably just go with Grado, since I like my SR-125 as much as I do.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Let me just start off but saying this is my first set of Headphones, so I have nothing to compare them to. I will just tell you my feelings, and opinion on what I just experienced.

I want to start by saying that these headphones are very comfortable. They are very light, and you could hardly tell you are wearing them. My ears fit right inside the earpads, and the pads themselves are very plush. Perfect for extended listening sessions. The headphones seem to be extremely well made.

I first audition them with "Phil Collins Finally...The Farewell Tour" dvd. From the first track (Drums, Drums, and More Drums) a drum solo with Phil, and Chester Thompson, I was blown away by the these headphones. As I watch the rest of this concert dvd, I was amazed at how Detailed the Sennheisers are. The bass response was very tight. The impact of the HD 600’s bass, I was shocked. The Highs and Mids where also very detailed and clear. They produce a very warm sound. The Highs are not overbearing, but they are slightly bright. Cymbals never sounded so good. Midrange body, and texture was perfect. In my opinion these headphone create a very balanced soundfield.

I then had to hear what movies sounded like. Gladiator. I have watched this movie 100 times, but I have never experienced it like this. After watching the concert dvd, I didn't think it could get better then that. I was wrong. The Depth, Detail, Clarity, and Impact of the Senn 600's is Incredible. The Imaging was so detailed you can hear everything, just like your standing in the middle of the action. The opening scene in Germania, I heard things I've never heard before while watching this movie. The part during the battle when the dog jump through the fire, and Maximus yells "Victor Roma". I could hear all the others yelling it too, something I've never heard. And I thought the bass was good before, Holy Toledo. I'm telling you I'm amazed at how much bass there produce. The burning catapults when they explode in the forest, WOW.

Detail, and Clarity are simply incredible I say again. I recommend these headphone to anyone thinking of purchasing a set. And if your not thinking of purchasing a set, start thinking. I know I don't have any other experience with other headphones, but I can't imagine how much better it can get. My thoughts for anyone with a small HT budget, SENNHEISER HD 600's. Why get speakers.

I continue to be blown away by this hobby.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis