My first DIY...any sugestions?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I would greatly appreciate advice for my first DIY sub...This might be a two part thread as I would first I would like to decide and get the equipment...Then build the box! Not sure if this is the right approach, but this is where I am at. Let me know if I shoud consider the box design first.I have narrowed it down to two options concerning the sub and amp:

1.Sound Splinter RL-P 15, with a Behringer A500-$270+180=$450
2.DAYTON TIT320C-4 -Titanic MKIII & a 300 watt Bash amp-$310 at Parts Express

Here are some notes that may play a factor in your suggestions-
1. I would like to keep the project under $500 (puts a strain on the budget for the SS, but if it is THAT much better, I could swing it...but prefer the lower costing PE set up)
2. Used for 90% movies
3. The room is approx. 15X18 with 8 ft high ceilings
4. Would like to have the Sub Not TOO big (WAF) not bigger than approx. 10 ft3 or 290 l
5. Rest of the equipment: HK 7200 with a 7.1 set up with JBL Studio series with 312's as the front towers.
6. Would like it to play low & I would like a sub that is "versatile" in different rooms because I am moving soon and would like it to be a good fit in a typical room (if possible) P.S. I dont mind overkill!!!

I am also considering getting the 15" kit from PE for $270 (link below) and calling it a day. I would prefer to build one myself but think this would be good enough for the time being...TALK ME OUT OF THIS OPTION!

http://www.(insertPE).com/pe/showd...number=300-770

Let me know if I am way off base, as neither of these combinations are set in stone, and I dont want to pull the trigger on a bad combo because I am getting frusterated in my search. All the options are sucking the fun out of this:( ...so I thought I would ask the experts! PLEASE HELP!!!

Any thoughts or sugestions would be greatly appreciated...Thank you for any advice

Matt34

Matt34

I have nothing to contribute besides that I will be watching this thread!!

Ok, I lied.:p All the DIY "experts" over on AVS say the SS RL-p15 is worth every penny.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Mr. Lamb Fries said:
I would greatly appreciate advice for my first DIY sub...This might be a two part thread as I would first I would like to decide and get the equipment...Then build the box! Not sure if this is the right approach, but this is where I am at. Let me know if I shoud consider the box design first.I have narrowed it down to two options concerning the sub and amp:

1.Sound Splinter RL-P 15, with a Behringer A500-$270+180=$450
2.DAYTON TIT320C-4 -Titanic MKIII & a 300 watt Bash amp-$310 at Parts Express

Here are some notes that may play a factor in your suggestions-
1. I would like to keep the project under $500 (puts a strain on the budget for the SS, but if it is THAT much better, I could swing it...but prefer the lower costing PE set up)
2. Used for 90% movies
3. The room is approx. 15X18 with 8 ft high ceilings
4. Would like to have the Sub Not TOO big (WAF) not bigger than approx. 10 ft3 or 290 l
5. Rest of the equipment: HK 7200 with a 7.1 set up with JBL Studio series with 312's as the front towers.
6. Would like it to play low & I would like a sub that is "versatile" in different rooms because I am moving soon and would like it to be a good fit in a typical room (if possible) P.S. I dont mind overkill!!!

I am also considering getting the 15" kit from PE for $270 (link below) and calling it a day. I would prefer to build one myself but think this would be good enough for the time being...TALK ME OUT OF THIS OPTION!

http://www.(insertPE).com/pe/showd...number=300-770

Let me know if I am way off base, as neither of these combinations are set in stone, and I dont want to pull the trigger on a bad combo because I am getting frusterated in my search. All the options are sucking the fun out of this:( ...so I thought I would ask the experts! PLEASE HELP!!!

Any thoughts or sugestions would be greatly appreciated...Thank you for any advice

Consider that multiple subwoofers placed in a room will smooth bass response as compared to one, as well as improve integration with some speakers(such as bookshelf types), then getting two lower cost drivers is a better option than getting a single more expensive driver. The Dayton Reference subwoofers at Parts Express have very linear motors and are of high quality design. Use two of these in suitable ported enclosures driven from the Behringer and you will more than ample SPL ability for even large rooms. You might even consider getting a more powerful amplifier(such as the Behringer EP1500), though it will have a marginally higher price. If you do not want to put the work into building two units, then still, getting a lower cost driver and then adding a proper parametric equalizer in line with the sub will allow you to get better sound quality in any given room because of the ability to correct the in-room frequency response, at least partially.

-Chris

majorloser

majorloser

I used old DCM subwoofer cabinets that I modified to install new 12" drivers, new 12" passive radiators and 500W Bash plate amps. All items bought from P.E. The BASH amps at P.E. do have a fairly high TDH compared to the regular plate amps but hasn't been a problem for me. I picked up the 500w amps when they were on sale, worth waiting for. You get more power for less money. The mount for those amps is a smaller rectangle vs. the larger square of the other plate amps, if that means anything to you. The external amp makes for an easier construction since you won't have to deal with cutting the hole, but you won't have all the special features you get with a decicated subwoofer plate amp; crossover setting, auto power, speaker level inputs, etc.

I will probably re-build them in new cabinets next year and try to get the passive radiator tuning down a little better (or do away with them all together). I won't really need these subs when I get my two VTF-3HO's.

or will I :rolleyes:

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Building two right now is not kind to the pocket book but, I thought of building one now and another down the road (as needed). I think this is a good way to go as this is my first DIY attempt. That would be a kick in the pride if I spent $600 on parts/supplies and came out with a lame sub. better to spend a little less on a proven product and not attempt something over my head. I found a great thread on building the titanic sub. I might just follow this and see what happens.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=40512

This would stay under my budget and be in a proven design. I could always add another or modify this one.

Majorloser, this might be a stupid question but what are the DCM cabinets? and do you prefer to use passive radiators over ports? is it harder to build...set-up and tune?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis