My experiance with a Crown XLS power amp

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
my biggest complaint now is that my mains are getting the power they need, they sound amazing (to me) and the integration of my sub into my system has made me unhappy.

Im working towards correcting some of the issues but I must admit in lacking in the knowledge realm a bit here. I want to order a minidsp and start experimenting REW. Ive read some articles that I can use REW with a feedback suppressor to flatten out my subs peaks. I've been just using my db meter and a tone generator to graph out response from my sub and the svs onboard controls to smooth it out with limited success.

If anyone is willing to offer me guidance it would be appreciated.
Do you have a mic already?

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I am confused a bit. Can I presume you have only 3 channels powered from your list?
Also, when you say stereo listening do you mean two front speakers or 3?
If two, you will have 140 watts continuous power from that receiver. If 3, then somewhat more than 110 watts.
Also, I doubt you will have high powered mono signal going to all two or three speakers at exactly the same time that would require all the power. If stereo, signals will be different in each speaker and you could expect the full 140 watts to each channel and more for dynamic peaks, dynamic headroom.
At present I only have the front three channels, but I'm looking into getting the back two to fill out a 5.1 setup. So at present, I am getting roughly 140 per channel. I realize based on power demands I don't need an amp, but that doesn't mean I don't want one.

For stereo listening I usually either use direct (towers + sub) or Pure Direct (towers).

jinjuku

jinjuku

you can do this with a SPL application on your smart phone and and excel spread sheet. But it will take a while.

Depends on what you value: Time, Sanity, or Money. Pick two.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
I have the rs spl and spreadsheet method going on so far. No good enough mic besides the spl.

The pc13 ultra only has 2 peq settings. I wasn't able to get good results that way.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.. I realize based on power demands I don't need an amp, but that doesn't mean I don't want one.

For stereo listening I usually either use direct (towers + sub) or Pure Direct (towers).
Thanks for the clarification.
That is a good reason to get it, wanting one. :)

H

HipSonic

Audioholic Intern
I decided to play NIN Hesitation Marks and switched to pure direct mode to make sure the amp got a workout. The fan did come on, it was inaudible and shutoff very quickly, less than 30 seconds after I turned the volume down.

I ended up listening to most of the album instead of getting ready to leave the house like I was supposed to. Listening at 90db the amps indicators only flickered the 20db till clipping lights and remained cool to the touch the entire time.

I had no idea my speakers had some much powerful deep extension until today. The imaging was is improved to the point that if I didn't know better I would swear the center channel was engaged.
The yamaha 2600 just didn't do my m80's justice.
I must tell you thank you, between you and Andrew Robinson I am going to pull the trigger on 2502 series ll. Now I just need to find either a good 5 or 7 channel amp tu o complete the TR setup and I will be extremely happy. Good work on your test.

highfigh

highfigh

Bridging only gets you at most 3db gain in sound pressure. To me It's not worth the risk IMO to bridge amps especially with a pro amp driving home theater grade drivers. The observed increase in subjective performance is caused by not level matching the compared amplifier and not controlling for visual bias.
Usually, the voltage doubles, which equates to 4 times the power output, not double. That means 6db increase, not 3dB.

highfigh

highfigh

Bridging, like any other function that an amp may or may not have, is simply situational dependent.

I would find out from Crown first what the numbers look like THD and SNR wise for bridged mode.

Even audiophile consumer grade amps support bridging.

The best way to compare any amp is to pick an SPL point that you need to hit from seating position (you'll need at leas a mic or an SPL app for your phone).

Set for C weighted and get a test tone (1Khz will do) and make sure your AVR and Amp both are outputting the same SPL and then do your comparisons.
Those specs are all in the manual and online when doing a google search for this model, in a pdf. There's nothing wrong with the S/N or distortion specs in either mode.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
I must tell you thank you, between you and Andrew Robinson I am going to pull the trigger on 2502 series ll. Now I just need to find either a good 5 or 7 channel amp tu o complete the TR setup and I will be extremely happy. Good work on your test.
I was thinking of buying 2 1502's to complete my setup, center and surrounds need less power. My avr is doing an admirable job with them, im not sure if a new avr or the 2 amps and a pre/processor are in my future. Outlaw is supposed to have a new one with dtsx in the pipeline

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Any long term updates on the XLS amps? I'm curious if any of you have configured the 12v trigger; possibly with a power sequencer?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had my 1st gen XLS1500 for a few years driving my subs and have never had a single issue.

Kinda wanting the new 1502 version as the black looks very nice. Especially since I'll be driving 4 subs soon.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Any long term updates on the XLS amps? I'm curious if any of you have configured the 12v trigger; possibly with a power sequencer?
Mine is still working great. I think you can run the trigger on the Crown with a phoenix connector on the gen 2's. Also the RCA's on the gen 2's are configured for consumer level voltages.

H

HipSonic

Audioholic Intern
Mine is still working great. I think you can run the trigger on the Crown with a phoenix connector on the gen 2's. Also the RCA's on the gen 2's are configured for consumer level voltages.
I have been using the 2502's and they have worked flawlessly for me, I have not used the 12 v trigger unfortunately.

A

anirudh19oct

Audiophyte
thread bump,

anyone else have any feedback?

debating between the 1502 & 2002 for my KEF Q750 towers

the review of the 1502 here show's the amp clipping at roughly 64% of it's rated power
I just got a XLS2502 just so I know I have the headroom. Got it last week to power my PSB Synchrony Ones. These puppies drop down to 2.6 Ohms and stay at around 4 ohm. Needed clean 300w of power.

A few things I have noticed about the Crown with using my Onkyo NR818 as Preamp and HDMI as transport from PC.

(DAC and a tube buffer is on the way. A good preamp will help tone the sound better)

So, yeah for now, my honest take after pairing my PSBs to lot of power amps is that, for the money nothing will ever come close to the Crowns. Coming to the soudn quality, I find it to be detailed (Yet, a little thin at the same time) Maybe thats my AVR. Will be testing with a NAD and Marantz Preamp in the coming days.

Good clean power. Hook it up to a warm sounding speaker and have the signal chain control the brightness and you are good. I have met a lot of people who use Crown XLS for their maggies and they seem to work like magic!

Let me come back to this thread after I get my DAC, Preamp and even try to Biamp my PSBs for LF and use Tubes for HF and see if it helps out.

( I would say it is a little placebo but I don't know I find that the amp sounds very nice after 30 minutes of running)

Someone who has used this amp extensively for stereo listening or biamping may help us out on more points.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
the top end sounding thin could be the 24khz hard cut off, i think most people won't notice it though.

A

anirudh19oct

Audiophyte
the top end sounding thin could be the 24khz hard cut off, i think most people won't notice it though.
Let me get my signal chain right before putting out any solid impressions on the amp. But as of now, nothing beats this for the money. That, I am very sure!

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Let me get my signal chain right before putting out any solid impressions on the amp. But as of now, nothing beats this for the money. That, I am very sure!

That seems to be the case!

I also don't think many people realize that these are available at most guitar/music centers which have extremely relaxed return policies. Often times you can even rent this type of equipment for a month for the cost of a starbucks coffee LOL. Talk about a great way to test out gear

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis