lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

The cut wood waiting to be glued.

Apparently glue got into the applicator and it wouldn't disconnect itself from the cap. Glue gluing its own container is the kind of product I want in my speakers.

Corner clamps make building speakers way simpler.

Bar clamps plus corner clamps make for a very good center box. Baffles are added after the center is setup.

You can see this isn't my first rodeo. I have this down pretty well now. Always use a panting canvas and wax paper on top to be extra sure you don't spill any glue on the wife's rug(apartment living for you)

gluing phase 1 done. Please note the burn marks are from home depot and not the blade I use.

Next I will flush trim the overhangs and begin applying peel-n-seal.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Tomorrow we finally have nice weather and I have a day off. So I will be flush trim routing and maybe applying peel-n-seal. Though I may give cutting the baffles a go too.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

constraint layer damping applied to everything but the front baffle.

I am still learning and have a pretty good concept of what goes in to cabinet construction, but what purpose does this serve?

That said, looks great so far, and I am anxious to see your crossover!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I made the initial cuts on the baffle. I still need to add the rectangular.

Initial circle cut

Backer Board

Finished Baffle

Jasper Jig

Circle Scraps

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, not even 2 years and look where you are already.
You'll be assembling crossovers by 2015 ... I'm certain of it. :D

Looks good. :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
That's good. Done properly your rear port won't get stressed.
Driver delivery in the time domain can be a bit of an issue.

Sorry Harald. :p
I will forgive you.... as it is a nice picture

Wow, not even 2 years and look where you are already.
You'll be assembling crossovers by 2015 ... I'm certain of it. :D

Looks good. :)
Seems like project started in November 2008.... I'm a bit lost about what happens here, is the initial build done, or did the initial build get scrapped so we're on a second iteration?

Is this a second iteration, if so it's certainly not according to LEAN as I believe that LEAN requires quicker iterations :p

Lean manufacturing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I will forgive you.... as it is a nice picture

Seems like project started in November 2008.... I'm a bit lost about what happens here, is the initial build done, or did the initial build get scrapped so we're on a second iteration?

Is this a second iteration, if so it's certainly not according to LEAN as I believe that LEAN requires quicker iterations :p

Lean manufacturing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The first build was scrapped. It took several years to select and acquire the parts(a layoff and schooling put speaker parts on the back burner)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The first build was scrapped. It took several years to select and acquire the parts(a layoff and schooling put speaker parts on the back burner)
Thanks for the info, hope for a quick progress for you now !!!!

Good luck :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It is not an easy task to do CLD.
Do yourself a favor. If those speakers sound any good, have someone else finish the cabinets ... especially if you have serious
money tied up in drivers and crossovers. Practice finishing on something you don't cherish.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Do yourself a favor. If those speakers sound any good, have someone else finish the cabinets ... especially if you have serious
money tied up in drivers and crossovers. Practice finishing on something you don't cherish.
I've been practicing on shelves for a while. I'll probably not put a finish on them for a good while though. The biggest issue hasn't been construction. It's been simply cost of electronics and lack of workspace. The crossovers(minidsp) and amps will be kept external and can be reused for any project.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been practicing on shelves for a while. I'll probably not put a finish on them for a good while though. The biggest issue hasn't been construction. It's been simply cost of electronics and lack of workspace. The crossovers(minidsp) and amps will be kept external and can be reused for any project.
Yeah, workspace amounts to real estate and that sh!t costs. While I had access to space and tools my hardship was that it's 40 miles away. I can't caution you enough about finishes. Budget for it. Pay for it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, workspace amounts to real estate and that sh!t costs. While I had access to space and tools my hardship was that it's 40 miles away. I can't caution you enough about finishes. Budget for it. Pay for it.
I can definitely understand now after cutting my baffles that beginning with the finish in mind is a wise approach. I recommend sticking to round drivers unless you have a really good template setup. It's clear that some patching will be needed around them. I got the baffles finished. Now it's time to start the CLD treatment.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
We had a move this summer and my workspace is almost nothing now, but I do plan to get some woodworking done in the next couple of weeks now that the temperatures are reasonable. I was able to get my tool closet organized and have decided to use the face plates that came with my tweeters. It will simplify my main issue with baffle construction which was the tweeters. I see my next phases

1. Prepare baffles for faceplates.

2. Cut interior paneling for CLD.

3. Cut boxes for my amp and miniDSP.

4. Cut braces.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Today, I cut the interior panels and started gluing them.

I set up the 1/2" ply on a sheet of blue Dow Styrofoam and cut walking over it using an Emerson straight edge with a circular saw for the cuts.

These are the cut interior panels. They are a little undersize since full coverage isn't required for this to work effectively.

This is the box sides for the miniDsp and Sure Amps. (24 x 12 x 4.5)

I set up the boxes for panel gluing by raising them up with corner clamps.

I've glued both boards by smoothing out the adhesive with a putty knife then pressing the board down and clamping it to the speaker. Time to wait for the glue to cure.

Still plenty to do, but progress is progress.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

The interior panels are done! Next up bracing and baffles.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
since I have to recut the baffles. I've decided to change the design. I'm going to save my more expensive drivers for another build down the line and reuse my RB-Kit Drivers in the box. My woofer just can't keep up with the other two, but I've got the boxes built basically so I'm using them in an MTM with the original tweeter.

My next build will be a 3-way using Dayton Reference drivers for the bottom since they can keep up with the other two. That means at some point I'll have 2 sets. I'm not sure I'll use CLD on the next pair. I may just go for bracing and damping. I know I'm crazy, but my new room really doesn't have the length(3 meters minimum from back wall) needed for bipolars. I don't want to put all this effort into a box and have it not fit the room. No worries you will still have a build to see though. It will basically demonstrate what a great enclosure does for cheaper drivers.

We really do need to have a DFW Audioholics get together once I complete the build.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
since I have to recut the baffles. I've decided to change the design. I'm going to save my more expensive drivers for another build down the line and reuse my RB-Kit Drivers in the box. My woofer just can't keep up with the other two, but I've got the boxes built basically so I'm using them in an MTM with the original tweeter.

My next build will be a 3-way using Dayton Reference drivers for the bottom since they can keep up with the other two. That means at some point I'll have 2 sets. I'm not sure I'll use CLD on the next pair. I may just go for bracing and damping. I know I'm crazy, but my new room really doesn't have the length(3 meters minimum from back wall) needed for bipolars. I don't want to put all this effort into a box and have it not fit the room. No worries you will still have a build to see though. It will basically demonstrate what a great enclosure does for cheaper drivers.

We really do need to have a DFW Audioholics get together once I complete the build.
Wow, you're even taking longer than John Dunlavy to make the speakers, I will raise the flag when your build is done mate :p
norwegian-flag-l.jpg

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

I tried to route for the tweeters without the faceplate on the first baffle attempt, but they did not look good with the wiggle room between the tweeter and board so I decided to simplify construction and build the baffle for mounting with the face-plates. since the face plates are designed for not being flush mounted it made the routing simple because the wiggle room is now safely hidden behind the face plates.

The next step will be to drill for the driver screws and binding posts.

After this I will begin the CLD application on the baffles. We still got a long way to go, but it is definitely getting closer to completion.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It's like the monopoly game.... Go back to start

Good luck :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis