Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
That looks like particle board, not plywood to me. :confused:

Particle board wouldn't be my choice to build a set of speakers from.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That looks like particle board, not plywood to me. :confused:

Particle board wouldn't be my choice to build a set of speakers from.
That's just the interior label. The exterior will be plywood.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Amp/Crossover phase begins.

Parts have been ordered and the project will be entering it's next phases soon. You should see construction completion and single unit testing in the coming weeks.

Ordered are a Sure Electronics 4 x 100w amp, Sure electronics 24v 350w power supply and a miniDSP to act as the active crossover. Of course the necessary binding posts for the active, amp box and the speaker box have been ordered. The eventual plan will compare passive crossovers between the tweeter and midrange vs full active ones.

I am excited for the next phase. I look forward to this projects completion.

T

Theresa

Junior Audioholic
wrong denomination. I'm baptist and happily married.

:p The clean apartment is proof of marriage lol.
Thats sad, I've been a baptist and unhappily married. Now I'm a non-theist and happily unmarried. I also have a messy house.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Further progress was made, but the approach of adding a cabinet to the outside of an interior one turned out to be highly problematic. As such I feel putting anymore effort into these cabinets would end with undesirable results.

I plan to come up with a different cabinet design and may skip CLD altogether. I honestly wonder if it's truly worth the effort required. I may have some CLD panels, but not a full coating. I will be using another matrix type rib bracing scheme and mineral wool.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just keep plugging away until you get sound coming out of them.

Did you decide on binding posts? How about the crossover? Have you got the parts yet?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Further progress was made, but the approach of adding a cabinet to the outside of an interior one turned out to be highly problematic. As such I feel putting anymore effort into these cabinets would end with undesirable results.

I plan to come up with a different cabinet design and may skip CLD altogether. I honestly wonder if it's truly worth the effort required. I may have some CLD panels, but not a full coating. I will be using another matrix type rib bracing scheme and mineral wool.
Not half as troublesome as trying to add a cabinet the the outside of an exterior one....:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just keep plugging away until you get sound coming out of them.

Did you decide on binding posts? How about the crossover? Have you got the parts yet?
I actually have these nice little red and black colored ones I found cheap off a random electronics site. I will be building these things for sure. I will just start with the outside first. I expect to have something built by next week probably not with CLD, but I do want to get the speakers built before we move.

I will be using two mini dsp's and two sure amps to drive them. The amps, dsp's and power supplies will be in there own cute little box.

After that I plan to build the 4 surrounds and build P-R sub.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Further progress was made, but the approach of adding a cabinet to the outside of an interior one turned out to be highly problematic.
During my long day dreaming sessions about building my next set of speakers, I always imagined building them two layers thick with Peel n seal in the middle. In my mind, however, the idea of adding the second layer of wood on top of the first enclosure never seemed that complicated. I simply imagined lots of flush trimming with a router, am I missing something?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I just realize I hadn't updated the project. Cuts have been made.

Design changes:

The new build is going to be sealed and an offset bi-polar. Yeah this is a crazy build. Basically that gives me two baffles to cut. I just picked up 4 more Dayton midrange domes on the Black Friday sale!. Next up Acquire 4 more Anarchy's 2 more sure amps, 2 more power supplies and 2 more minidsp's.

I will be using some CLD and am attempting a dado groove system that will allow for the use of quarter round on the edges. I'm very eager to get this built, but we have been out of town a lot. I plan to do some work this weekend if time and weather permits.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

The latest iteration is a bass module with 2 anarchy's firing forward and a separate upper module allowing me to change tweeters and midranges without rebuilding everything. The initial midrange/tweeter build has closed backs so it will be an open baffle sort of build. Construction begins next week when I finally have some time off.

It will use CLD applied to the inside of the exterior box. I have abandoned the quarter round approach in favor of the simplicity of flush routing. It has come to my attention roundovers needs to be very significant to have audible effects. Of course I still may roundover the edges with a bit after the fact.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, its more complicated than that.

Its definitely a 3-way, but is it a monopole or dipole?

Is it horn-loaded?

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, its more complicated than that.

Its definitely a 3-way, but is it a monopole or dipole?

Is it horn-loaded?
Will be monopole. Apparently dipole's need around 6 feet of space behind them. Since we sit that far away my wife would likely not approve. :D

No horn loading the top will be using a HiVi RTI planar tweeter Andrew sold 2 years ago when this project started. I have 7 of them and that is supposed to yield 2 or 3 good ones. I will just go with the 3 best I can get out of the bunch. The crossover's are the minidsp's and the amp will be the sure 4 x 100watt. This is a small distance so a lot of power is not needed.

Cutting the recess for the tweeter will be interesting since it's a square driver.

I'm still using the same drivers(Exodus Anarchy, Dayton Dome Midrange and the RTI planar tweeter.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Right, you can't use a circle cutting jig. I haven't done it, but it does seem straight forward. See this link.

You will need a bushing guide set like this for your router.
I will try using my straight edge with my dado bit first. I'm very familiar with it and comfortable with it. It will be strange having essentially an open baffle at the top.

The box will not be ported these minisubs have plenty to give without needing a port.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis