Multizone avr for music (need selection help)

R

rgray

Enthusiast
I am in need of advice for selecting a new AVR to be used primarily for multi-zone music. I currently have Denon 4308 and need to retire it as the web control has not worked since day 1 and I can’t take it anymore. The unit is in a rack in my basement and I need to be able to control the unit from my kitchen, deck garage, etc. What I plan on doing is dedicating the 4308 to my HT where I can control the 4308 with its remote in the same room.
My plan is to buy a new multi-zone AVR that has web control/ iphone app. The unit must have 3 zones, a 4th is a plus. With the 4308 dedicated to HT my set up would be as follows:
• Utilize the main zone to power at ATON speaker selector ( controls Deck, Kitchen, Garage)
• Use Zone 2 pre outs connected to Anthem MCA 20 Amp and Revel F32 Speakers
• Use Zone 3 pre outs connected to Anthem MCA 20 Amp and Bose 701 Speakers (soon to be upgraded)
• Zone 4 -future expansion
I have been researching the following AVR’s
• Denon 4520 (first choice not sure if it’s worth the money)
• Denon AVR-X4000
• Marantz 7008
• Marantz 6008
• Yamaha 2030
• Yamaha 3030
My dilemma is since that I am using amps on 2 of the zones is it worth the money to spend on the 4520 or 3030? I am also not concerned with the 4K Video Scaling, 3D video processing or other bells whilstes as I mainly will use this for music. My main concern is enough power for the un-amped zones, airplay, internet radio and control via a web browser.
For those that may be interested I have tried everything possible with the Denon to connect with my network, several different routers, various settings, new cables, etc. I talked to Denon support a 100 times, it will work for 3 -5 days then disconnect from my network. I have the DHCP set to off and have set a static IP so not sure why
Bottom line is I don’t want to spend 2k plus if I don’t need to , I don’t want to waste money on features I dont need, I will use the system primarily for music , I need 3 -4 zone capability and
Any input is appreciated on what AVR you think would best fit my needs.
Thanks in advance
Robbo

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rgray

Enthusiast
No worries, I have heard that from friends before. Two reasons for not using Sonos
1 I already have all the infrastructure in place for the zone set up I described, all the wiring, speakers, amps etc. Once in place and set up its not that complicated
2 I want to play my music very loud, I don’t think I would acieve that with Sonos
Anyone else have feedback?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
R

rgray

Enthusiast
Boycotting Denon has crossed my mind. I was happy with most of the other features with the exception of the web control which was relatively new technology at the time .

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Are you using a wired ethernet connection or wifi for the AVR 4308? Also, is there a "wake on lan" option?

Also, is the static IP address set outside of the DHCP range of the router to prevent conflicts?

Another thing to consider is the age of your wifi router. Old routers were limited in the number of wifi devices they could handle at one time.

R

rgray

Enthusiast
thanks.. this has never been mentioned by Denon tech suppot. I am using a wired connection. I do not know if there is "wake on lan" option, but will check it out.
assuming i decide for a new AVR any suggestions which offer the most bang for the buck wit equipment i have ?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have had the 4520 now for a few months and it has been rock solid. No network drops from any streaming sources and I have been able to control it with my phone easily and accurately. I have also installed a 3313ci for a friend and looking at your requirements and the fact you have external amps for some of the zones it may be a better buy if you choose to stay with Denon. One thing to remember is that neither of these will play HDMI or Optical/Coax digital audio to the second and third zones. The X4000 will do digital audio to the other zones if I remember correct. The 3313 does have the 4th HDMI zone out as well. Always remember that at this time with these built in HDMI matrix functions that the unit will default to the lowest common denominator for video resolution and audio output and there will be some drop outs on the HDMI zones when switching sources. Don't get me wrong it is nice that Denon and Marantz are including this feature but don't expect it to work like a independent matrix switch.

Network sources will play to all the zones but you would be playing the same network source to all zones. Meaning one zone cannot be using pandora while another is using Internet Radio.

Last edited:
N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
I've been mostly happy with my Yamaha RX-A3000, which is a slightly older version than yours. I use the network control regularly and I've had no problems.

Take a good look at the manual for the 3030 to make sure it will do what you want. It may have 4 zones, but they won't all pass the same sources. For example, my 3000 will pass network radio to main, 2, and 3, but not to zone 4, while zone 4 will only pass digital sources. They're trying to stretch flexibility of the unit without duplicating processing, but I think it's a little misleading. They may have changed this in the 3030, but I'm doubtful.

R

rgray

Enthusiast
Nestor & ADK Highlander .. awesome feedback ! thanks .

i do need to be awared of the restrictions each unit has for zone playback. intereting facts on the digital play back of the Denon 4520 vs the X4000.
Highlander since i do have extenrnal amps do you see the extra cost for teh 4520 as a waste or will i benefit from some of the extra features.?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I would say it would be a bit of a waste. The big reason to go with the 4520 in my opinion are Audyssey XT32 dual sub configuration, extra power, 11.2 capabilities. Better DSP and DAC, Audyssey LFC. I don't think you would use any of these in a multizone config where you have no subs and they are all two channel.

Here is a link to a comparison list: LINK

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Rgray, you say this is for music, so I suppose maybe you're OK w/ your Main zone using a 2-channel input IF you select the same input for one or more of your other zones at the same time. If you use HDMI inputs on your AVR, you should understand how your AVR will handle that input if you select it for multiple zones.

J

jotham

Audioholic
No worries, I have heard that from friends before. Two reasons for not using Sonos
1 I already have all the infrastructure in place for the zone set up I described, all the wiring, speakers, amps etc. Once in place and set up its not that complicated
2 I want to play my music very loud, I don’t think I would acieve that with Sonos
Anyone else have feedback?
Regarding your points. The Sonos Connects should be able to fit into the same basic space as your other stuff.

Also, the Sonos Connect unit is not one of the powered amp or speakers that the other Sonos units are. It's simply a pre-amp that can attach to your existing amplifiers. This should easily give you all the power that you need for zone 2, 3, 4 etc. If you are focusing on music and internet radio, then Sonos fits your requirements.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis