Multi channel analog

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
I would like to bi-amp my front right & front left speakers. Using 4 separate cables (with two terminations on each end), I wanted to adhere to my receivers diagram using the surround back left & right speaker terminals to connect the low frequency post on my speakers.

My question about this configuration is; will I also have to connect the OPPO 105D analog outputs surround back right and left outputs with RCA connectors to my receiver as well, and if so do I select 5.1 or 7.1 in my A/V receiver set up menu? Also do I select HDMI Audio OFF in my setup menu on my receiver to achieve analog audio?

My primary goal was to take advantage of the OPPO's audi processing using the analog connects thus bypassing HDMI audio from receiver and thank you for helping me resolve that issue. However what configuration do you suggest I use to continue HDMI Video? Shall i continue to have HDMI video connection between television and receiver, or can I (or should) connect my television to the HDMI input on the OOPPO 105D? And how how do i set up menu for each configuration.

Thanks Guys

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You mentioned the oppo, but not the brand of your avr or other gear. As for bi amping it's unlikely that you will gain any benefit using an avr and doing it passively. If you feel you need more power (may not) an external amp at least double your current avrs power would be required. Typically passive bi amping has no audible benefits in 90% of most speakers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Your AVR allows you to reassign two of the output amplifier rear or surround channels so they instead play the front left and right channels. Saying this in manuals gives AVR owners the false impression that they can make use of amplifier capability that they would leave unused in 5.1 surround system. It is at best, misguided, and at worst, a disservice.

In most or all AVRs and amplifiers, there is one large transformer with multiple wire windings for each individual amplifier channel. The maximum power available is limited by the size and capacity of the power supply transformer. It does not matter whether you choose to use all 7 channels, or fewer channels, such 5 or 2, there is only so much juice available. Redirecting the power out put does just that, it redirects it. It cannot create more power.

It may help to think of the power supply transformer in a receiver or amplifier as similar to a car's engine, and the output channels as similar to a car's transmission. You can choose 2-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive, but the engine and its power remains the same.

The only way you can get more power than your AVR can produce is by adding another external amplifier with its own power supply transformer. For bi-amping speakers, as everetT said, it is unlikely to make an audible difference.

As far as using your Oppo, you're making this more complicated than it should be. You can certainly try wiring things so you can listen to the DAC in your AVR or the DAC in your Oppo. My own limited experience with such things is that I can hear little if any difference. Life will be simpler if you use the HDMI connections and alter the set-up through the AVR's (edit: not the Oppo) menu.

Last edited:
O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
I would like to bi-amp my front right & front left speakers. Using 4 separate cables (with two terminations on each end), I wanted to adhere to my receivers diagram using the surround back left & right speaker terminals to connect the low frequency post on my speakers.

My question about this configuration is; will I also have to connect the OPPO 105D analog outputs surround back right and left outputs with RCA connectors to my receiver as well, and if so do I select 5.1 or 7.1 in my A/V receiver set up menu? Also do I select HDMI Audio OFF in my setup menu on my receiver to achieve analog audio?

My primary goal was to take advantage of the OPPO's audi processing using the analog connects thus bypassing HDMI audio from receiver and thank you for helping me resolve that issue. However what configuration do you suggest I use to continue HDMI Video? Shall i continue to have HDMI video connection between television and receiver, or can I (or should) connect my television to the HDMI input on the OOPPO 105D? And how how do i set up menu for each configuration.

Thanks Guys
Thanks for your reply,
Home theater illiterate here. However I've concluded that I will BI-AMP My Martin Logan motion 40 series front and left. My a/v receiver is Poineer VSX-52.

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
Your AVR allows you to reassign two of the output amplifier rear or surround channels so they instead play the front left and right channels. Saying this in manuals gives AVR owners the false impression that they can make use of amplifier capability that they would leave unused in 5.1 surround system. It is at best, misguided, and at worst, a disservice.

In most or all AVRs and amplifiers, there is one large transformer with multiple wire windings for each individual amplifier channel. The maximum power available is limited by the size and capacity of the power supply transformer. It does not matter whether you choose to use all 7 channels, or fewer channels, such 5 or 2, there is only so much juice available. Redirecting the power out put does just that, it redirects it. It cannot create more power.

It may help to think of the power supply transformer in a receiver or amplifier as similar to a car's engine, and the output channels as similar to a car's transmission. You can choose 2-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive, but the engine and its power remains the same.

The only way you can get more power than your AVR can produce is by adding another external amplifier with its own power supply transformer. For bi-amping speaker, as everetT said, it is unlikely to make an audible difference.

As far as using your Oppo, you're making this more complicated than it should be. You can certainly try wiring things so you can listen to the DAC in AVR or the DAC in your Oppo. My own limited experience with such things is that I can hear little if any difference. Life will be simpler if you use the HDMI connections and alter the set-up through the Oppo menu.
I'm sorry but what do you mean "alter the set-up through Oppo menu?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are going to use the surround back channels of your VSX-52 to biamp the front L/R channels (not recommended as others said, but it's your choice) then you can only do 5.1 and there will be no point connecting the 105D's surround back chanels.

You can continue to use HDMI video between the TV and receiver, but you can also use one of the 105D's HDMI output to the TV's input directly. In my setup, I only use the 105's analog output for 2 channel stereo because I don't want to give up room EQ for 5.1/7.1.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Your Oppo is designed to be used with either an HDMI capable AVR such as your Pioneer, or an older non-HDMI system. An HDMI receiver can process all the latest digital sound codecs available on BluRay discs, but older receivers cannot. That's why those various analog output jacks are there. The Oppo can perform the audio processing and send it as analog signals to the AVR. To do that, the Oppo has a set-up menu with many options, like in your AVR. You will have to plug things in, wade through that menu, and try the various options yourself.

Your choice is to use one HDMI cable from the Oppo to the Pioneer and allow the AVR to perform all the audio processing. Or, use 5 or 7 analog audio cables (with RCA jacks) between the Oppo and the Pioneer. I can't say this for certain because I don't have that AVR or BR player, but I believe you will have more useful functions and options available if you use HDMI. There's only one way to find out, try it both ways.

You should be able to use an HDMI cable directly between the Oppo and your TV for the digital video signal if you choose to do the audio processing via the Oppo. Again, you will have to read the manual and wade through the menu options to find out how to do that.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I just read over my earlier post. I made an error.

I said "Life will be simpler if you use the HDMI connections and alter the set-up through the Oppo menu."

I should have said, "Life will be simpler if you use the HDMI connections and alter the set-up through the Pioneer AVR menu."

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Home theater illiterate here. However I've concluded...
If your first statement is true, might it be possible that your second is premature? Passive bi-amping is a subject that has been discussed and explained many times here, and our collective conclusion may surprise you.

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
If your first statement is true, might it be possible that your second is premature? Passive bi-amping is a subject that has been discussed and explained many times here, and our collective conclusion may surprise you.

Thanks for your reply,
This has been a humbling experience, however I do understand the basic principals of bi-amping and the slight audible differences that it delivers. My question was if I had to utilize the surround channels for the RCA connections between my Oppo and receiver, and thankfully that was solved.

I have the Pioneer Elite Kuro 111 plasma, and the picture quality is excellent. However connecting Apple Tv using the Oppo HDMI Input,enhances the picture quality significantly! So my priority is to get the best audio quality I can get using the Oppo 105D. So I'm willing to "complicate" my life a little to achieve the best audio possible for my system using the Oppo 105D's analog inputs.

Mr. Della Sala, of Audioholics posted a video encouraging owners of the Oppo 105D to take advantage of this audio feature, So I'm willing to give it a shot.

Thanks everyone for your help!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your reply,
This has been a humbling experience, however I do understand the basic principals of bi-amping and the slight audible differences that it delivers. My question was if I had to utilize the surround channels for the RCA connections between my Oppo and receiver, and thankfully that was solved.

I have the Pioneer Elite Kuro 111 plasma, and the picture quality is excellent. However connecting Apple Tv using the Oppo HDMI Input,enhances the picture quality significantly! So my priority is to get the best audio quality I can get using the Oppo 105D. So I'm willing to "complicate" my life a little to achieve the best audio possible for my system using the Oppo 105D's analog inputs.

Mr. Della Sala, of Audioholics posted a video encouraging owners of the Oppo 105D to take advantage of this audio feature, So I'm willing to give it a shot.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Good audio isn't exactly intuitive. Lots of misleading info out there, too. Passive bi-amping is simply a waste of time and wire plus in your case limits your available channels.

If you connect the analog connections from Oppo to your avr then you use the audio settings in the Oppo, and just use the avr as a pass-thru amp. I'd simply use the hdmi and not bother with the "superior" dac stuff. Try it both ways and see if it changes your life for the time spent.

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
Good audio isn't exactly intuitive. Lots of misleading info out there, too. Passive bi-amping is simply a waste of time and wire plus in your case limits your available channels.

If you connect the analog connections from Oppo to your avr then you use the audio settings in the Oppo, and just use the avr as a pass-thru amp. I'd simply use the hdmi and not bother with the "superior" dac stuff. Try it both ways and see if it changes your life for the time spent.

Thank you, this is one of the main issues I was trying to address; how to set up and configure on my components, so I appreciate the information.

Sorry if I was misleading about the theory bi-amping not a big deal for me; my priority was utilizing the Oppo audible analogs and getting the most out of it for my viewing and listening pleasure.

From what I understand bi-amping is a simple procedure ,just connecting wire to the low frenquency post of your left and right speaker. Blue Jeans cable makes the process even easier using their 4x14 cable , by terminating it with four connectors on the speaker end, correct me if I'm wrong. I do know now the collective forum is against it though!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, this is one of the main issues I was trying to address; how to set up and configure on my components, so I appreciate the information.

Sorry if I was misleading about the theory bi-amping not a big deal for me; my priority was utilizing the Oppo audible analogs and getting the most out of it for my viewing and listening pleasure.

From what I understand bi-amping is a simple procedure ,just connecting wire to the low frenquency post of your left and right speaker. Blue Jeans cable makes the process even easier using their 4x14 cable , by terminating it with four connectors on the speaker end, correct me if I'm wrong. I do know now the collective forum is against it though!
If you want to use the dac's and audio management in the Oppo, then connect the analog pre-outs to your avr's multi-ch inputs and the avr usually will not apply any processing.

Passive bi-amping is simple, it's just not effective. You don't gain anything appreciable, if at all....just spend more on wire and spend extra time hooking it up. It's marketing otherwise.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My question was if I had to utilize the surround channels for the RCA connections between my Oppo and receiver, and thankfully that was solved.
Don't forget to set down mix option to 5.1, as described in the user manual page 18:

"If the A/V receiver or amplifier only has 5.1ch audio inputs, do not connect the SBL (Surround Back Left) and SBR (Surround Back Right) terminals, and set the Down Mix option in the Setup Menu to 5.1 to make sure that any 7.1 channel signals are converted to 5.1 channels (refer to Down Mix Mode on page 72)"

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
Don't forget to set down mix option to 5.1, as described in the user manual page 18:

"If the A/V receiver or amplifier only has 5.1ch audio inputs, do not connect the SBL (Surround Back Left) and SBR (Surround Back Right) terminals, and set the Down Mix option in the Setup Menu to 5.1 to make sure that any 7.1 channel signals are converted to 5.1 channels (refer to Down Mix Mode on page 72)"

Thank You I will.

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
Hello Guys,
Old Navy Vet here again trying to figure out audio.
According to "Geek Squad" Turns out I needed amplifier to connect OPPO 105D because receiver (VSX-52)only has analog "outputs" not inputs. I purchased the Monolith 7 channel AMP from Monoprice.

Any advice on connecting, I have Martin Logan motion 40 towers (Bi-amped in FR &FL and surround L&R back channels), Martin Logan 8 center channel, Martin Logan "R" ceiling speakers, and old klisph sub.

Guys do I still use the 5.1 configuration on OPPO and do I need to connect RCA cables to surround back L&R on the amplifier as well? Can I also connect speakers to amplifier now as well. Also I connected TV to OPPO for video, Apple TV, and satallite TV VIA HDMI.

If A/V receiver not set to extended stereo then system sounds like AM radio, can anyone help me with this one Geek squad incompetent and uninformed. They were unable to program Savant remote and didn't know basic speaker configuration. Whew it was a grind to say the least.

Thank you, any advice or help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you're going to use the 105D with the amp directly, no more avr? Only way I see of using your 105D with the amp, using the 105D as pre-amp. Nice amp, tho. Just connect the appropriate rca outputs of the 105D to the amp inputs.

Again, I'd skip the bi-amping thing (or does your Oppo even support that?).

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
D
So you're going to use the 105D with the amp directly, no more avr? Only way I see of using your 105D with the amp, using the 105D as pre-amp. Nice amp, tho. Just connect the appropriate rca outputs of the 105D to the amp inputs.

Again, I'd skip the bi-amping thing (or does your Oppo even support that?).
Well the OPO has the 7 channel analog output, so positive it supports. But verify I don't need A/VR anymore?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
D

Well the OPO has the 7 channel analog output, so positive it supports. But verify I don't need A/VR anymore?
7 channel output but does it have a bi-amp option? It's still a waste of time and wire to passively bi-amp even if it does. You can use the 105D with the amp, it may not offer all the features of the avr, but it will work.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis