mtrycrafts,i got my new Yamaha reciver.

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
if u remember there was a thread made by me from some time about switching from a KenWood amp to a new Yamaha amp,& u was very conviced that with the same speakers at the same room there will be no difference between the amps,

Also i was telling u that i want a reciver to make me feel am inside the movie something which my KenWood doesn't do & u told my that am only observer.

anyway i got my new RXV-650 Yesterday & it's great,in stereo mode many details & sounds are now heared that i wasn't hearing with my old Kenwood.

also in movies there many many more details than the KenWood (like people breathing,gun shoots,many bullets firing around u) ect..

& finally my new Yammy convince me that am inside the movie espicially in "Master & commander" & in 'Rules of engagment"

I think this proves that Amps can sound different on the same gear.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I'm not mtrycrafts but,

"also in movies there many many more details than the KenWood (like people breathing,gun shoots,many bullets firing around u) ect.."

What you are describing sounds more like the benefits gained from a better processor, not necessarily the amp. I forget but what formats did your Kenwood have? DPLII, DTS, DD, etc.

Regardless of what your hearing and why, the point is your happy and that's all that counts.

Shinerman

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
Thanx Shinerman

my old KenWood have only DolbyDigital.

i also think this is a benifits of better processor.

iam not an Audio pro,so i want to ask u how could i know if the Amplifier section on my Yamaha is better than the old Kenwood???how can i test it???

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
What do you mean by "Better"? Better built, better quality, more expensive, better sound? As far as better built goes, open them up and look. Better sound is subjective and I don't know of anyway to measure a subjective atribute like sound on a receiver.

Here's some advise. Don't get too consumed by measurements and don't get caught up in trying to find a quantitative confirmation of what you here. Your happy with your receiver and it's sound. You feel it was a big improvement. Enjoy it! No point in trying to prove something that probably is not able to be proved at least not without going through great expensive strides. Relax and enjoy. That's what it is all about.

Shinerman

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
CosmicOne said:
if u remember there was a thread made by me from some time about switching from a KenWood amp to a new Yamaha amp,& u was very conviced that with the same speakers at the same room there will be no difference between the amps,

Also i was telling u that i want a reciver to make me feel am inside the movie something which my KenWood doesn't do & u told my that am only observer.

anyway i got my new RXV-650 Yesterday & it's great,in stereo mode many details & sounds are now heared that i wasn't hearing with my old Kenwood.

also in movies there many many more details than the KenWood (like people breathing,gun shoots,many bullets firing around u) ect..

& finally my new Yammy convince me that am inside the movie espicially in "Master & commander" & in 'Rules of engagment"

I think this proves that Amps can sound different on the same gear.

Thanks for remembering my posts and getting back on this :)

Your story doesn't prove or show what you like it to show untill you conduct this experiment in a better protocol, DBT, level matched, with significant results. A third party administrator would be very beneficial to the story.
:cool:

You may be right, this Yam and Kenwood may be different. The Kenwood may be out of specs or broken? We just don't know based on your stroy. Too much room for biased observation.

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
Shinerman

i mean by better: How to know is the new power supply is more powerful (stronger) or not while from the weight of the two recivers & from the size of the power supply on both of them (looking throught the openings on top) the Yamaha is very much heavier & it's power supply is very large.

Mtrycrafts,

the KenWood wasn't faulty or broken but as u said it lacks quailty & specs & as u see on the other post it doesn't even have power reservoirs while my new Yam has two very large capacitors that is not available anywhere in KenWood,also the KenWood was very very entry level with low quality components everywhere so may the difference come from this.

but even in Stereo & with very low volumes the Yamaha has much more details than the KenWood (there alot of sounds that i was missing in songs on the KenWood)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

CosmicOne said:
Mtrycrafts,

the KenWood wasn't faulty or broken but as u said it lacks quailty & specs & as u see on the other post it doesn't even have power reservoirs while my new Yam has two very large capacitors that is not available anywhere in KenWood,also the KenWood was very very entry level with low quality components everywhere so may the difference come from this.

but even in Stereo & with very low volumes the Yamaha has much more details than the KenWood (there alot of sounds that i was missing in songs on the KenWood)

The power caps comes in handy when the need is for peaks beyond capability. If that amp has an RMS rating, continuous operation, then up to that level of performance, you should not have problems, again depending on speaker impedance and sensitivity.

You still need a bias controlled comparison to know if there really is an audible difference. No ifs and or buts. :(

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

mtrycrafts said:
The power caps comes in handy when the need is for peaks beyond capability. If that amp has an RMS rating, continuous operation, then up to that level of performance, you should not have problems, again depending on speaker impedance and sensitivity.

You still need a bias controlled comparison to know if there really is an audible difference. No ifs and or buts. :(
I disagree, his opinion is all that matters in this case. There is no reason for comparison. Obviously he is pleased with his purchase, there is no need to cast any doubt on the decision he made.

CosmicOne, I am happy that the new receiver meets your expectations!

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
Thanx Rgriffin25,

mtrycrafts,
why don't u think in different sounds by different amps??if u are right and all amps sounds the same with the same gear in the same place so why all review sites make a group test to amps against each other on a price range & they found some amps are good & take 5/5 & some are bad.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Cosmic One,

Congratulations on your new purchase, as you can see, opinions in this feild differ vastly so it is better to trust your judgment and ears in this case, I for one have always admired the detailed sound of Yamaha, Marantz, Accuphase, Einstein, old SONY Legato Linear ES series and have felt that the sound character of these amps stand out from others in being detailed and musical, however to many these were considered harsh and bright. Point is to enjoy what you like to the maximum.

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
Yamahaluver;
thanx man very very much,i found my Yamaha not harsh atall & that's from only pairing it with a flat speakers (Wharfedale Diamond8.4) most people here that say Yamaha is over bright or Harsh coz they pair it with bright speakers.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
To me, the difference is not the amp. There're some fundamental rules (like everything in life) that a manufacturer has to follow in order to archieve their final goal: create a cost-effective,reasonable well constructed receiver. When a manufacturer follows these rules, you will be a proud and happy owner, just like the way you're now. I think all major manufactuers that exist (Yamaha, Onkyo, HK, Denon, Pioneer Elite) follow these rules more or less the same way and that's why they sound pretty much the same. That's why i think the real difference are THE SPEAKERS you will be using.
Before anyone gets jumpy, by rules i mean all logical steps you have to follow to achieve your final goal. When you're about to build your house, you have to start by the foundations.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Strictly speaking, I agree with mtrycrafts but yo, mtry, lighten up! He got a new piece of gear. He likes it. He's happy. Sure he brought up The Question but after pointing it out once, why rain on the parade any more? Besides, you're not the only one here fighting the Good Fight so you don't have to take (and make) all the hits.

CosmicOne, if you're really interested in the whole audibility of amps and electronics thing and want to see where guys like me and mtrycrafts are coming from, there's my "audio wisdom" page (see sig below) and numerous threads I've stated my opinions on like the "Sound of Receivers" thread in the Wiseguys and Philosophers forum. Oh, yeah, I meant "wise men" :cool:

Meanwhile, enjoy. Just don't tell us about any magic wire!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Rip Van Woofer said:
Strictly speaking, I agree with mtrycrafts but yo, mtry, lighten up! He got a new piece of gear. He likes it. He's happy. Sure he brought up The Question but after pointing it out once, why rain on the parade any more? Besides, you're not the only one here fighting the Good Fight so you don't have to take (and make) all the hits.

CosmicOne, if you're really interested in the whole audibility of amps and electronics thing and want to see where guys like me and mtrycrafts are coming from, there's my "audio wisdom" page (see sig below) and numerous threads I've stated my opinions on like the "Sound of Receivers" thread in the Wiseguys and Philosophers forum. Oh, yeah, I meant "wise men" :cool:

Meanwhile, enjoy. Just don't tell us about any magic wire!
Oh, I am happy for his joy in the new gear :D Never stated differently. Even if I did, I have no control over what he does or doesn't ;) and I wouldn't.

Magic wire or magic anything is difficult to pass up without comment :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

CosmicOne said:
mtrycrafts,
why don't u think in different sounds by different amps??if u are right and all amps sounds the same with the same gear in the same place so why all review sites make a group test to amps against each other on a price range & they found some amps are good & take 5/5 & some are bad.
You like your new amp, great, I am happy for you. Why would I not be?

I never said ALL amps sound the same. I seriously doubt you will find any post by me stating that and I have posted just a few in my posting history :D

Sonic differences in amps is not a mystery

http://www.pcavtech.com/abx/abx_data.htm

"Some Amplifiers Do Sound Different", Carlstrom, D., Kruger, A., & Greenhill, L., The Audio Amateur, 3/1982, pg 30, 31.

Some comparisons are reliable, level matched DBT, others are unreliable, sighted listeing, when it comes to determining audible differences. That is where I am coming from. You cannot rely on reviews exclaiming magit to amps or any component unless you know the circumstances of that listening condition and can be replicated.
Even in the decimal places of pi, in the first 1000 digits, there are two runs of ten even or odd numbers in a row. Chance event.
Hearing and perception are two different events. The human brain is tricky, it will fill in absent data streams, or block it. Not simple.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis