furrycute

furrycute

Banned
What kind of mp3 players do you guys have?

I had an ipod before, but the rechargeable battery thing really turned me off. I want a device that uses standard AA or AAA batteries.

I recently purchased a Sandisk Sansa 4gb mp3 player. It uses a single AAA battery. Creating playlists is not the easiest thing, but if you arrange your mp3's via albums, artists on your computer, it is manageable.

It is small and convenient to carry around. A step down from the ipod nano in tersm of ease of use and style. But a step up from the ipod nano in terms of size and battery compatibility.

J

johsti

Audioholic
I've had an iaudio G3 for about a year now. It's a little larger than some of the other flash players, but it is still very small. It gets about 40 hours on 1 AA battery which is why I bought it. It's also UMS and has a clock. For my HD player, I refuse to get rid of my iriver ihp140 with rockbox. I wish iriver didn't ditch optical input/outputs. I could care less about video/pics on a "mp3" player.

http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855603814&CMP=OTC-Froogle&ATT=JetAudio+Sky+White+1GB+USB+2.0+iAudio+G3+mp3+player+Model+G3-1024SW

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Circuit City online is selling the 4gb Sandisk sansa (flash memory based) for $159 plus tax. I think it's a good deal considering the generous amount of flash memory in this player. Quite a good deal.

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
I like my iPod for listening to music in the car... convenient access to my CD music collection. In my home, on the other hand, I prefer CD's.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Those generic batteries are definitely cheaper than Apple's batteries. But, they are still not as cheap and convenient as alkaline batteries.

I would love to see an Ipod that uses generic AA batteries. I would buy that one in a hearbeat.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
furrycute said:
Those generic batteries are definitely cheaper than Apple's batteries. But, they are still not as cheap and convenient as alkaline batteries.

I would love to see an Ipod that uses generic AA batteries. I would buy that one in a hearbeat.
Why ? You would end up paying the same in the end if not more. In fact it would probably be more. Considering the battery is only 29.95 for most of them. You would also have to lug around extra batteries. Also the standard rechargeable AA's would not hold a charge nearly as long as the replacement Lithium battery in the iPod. Plus the new Lithium battery would probably last 2 years maybe a bit more. Maybe a bit less.

The battery problem is no longer an issue with Apple. In fact the only thing the iPod does not have going for it is WMA support and maybe a couple other formats.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Creative Zen Micro.

I had a AAA batter MP3 player, but it can't power my HD500s.

The Zens have removable batteries, unlike Icraps.

SheepStar

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Sheep said:
Creative Zen Micro.

I had a AAA batter MP3 player, but it can't power my HD500s.

The Zens have removable batteries, unlike Icraps.

SheepStar
So why do you hate the iPod so much ? Outside of the battery issues in the past and WMA support what are your main issues ?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I hate Apple, not the Ipod (though it is an inferior player compared to Zens).

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

Love the Ipod for it's easy interface and aftermarket support that allows me to control my entire music collection from my Pioneer headunit.

I also have an older 128mb Rio mp3 player that I take with me on runs. Upgraded it with a 512mb SD card so I have more than enough music for an entire week of workouts.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
I have a three-year old MPIO 256mb player with an sd slot for extra memory. I wouldn't trade it for anything out there. I have dropped it in a hot whirlpool and on concrete floor and it just keeps on working. It was and still is one of the few players that support folders. Since I listen to different type of music, I just make a folder for each type and put them in the player and it recognizes the folders without problem. I can switch between Fm radio and MP3 without without having to go through the menu system like so many players today require you to do. I bought and returned a bunch of current mp3 players such as the sandisk 4gb and a rio sport mp3. I tell you, they don't make them like they used to.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Davidt1 said:
I have a three-year old MPIO 256mb player with an sd slot for extra memory. I wouldn't trade it for anything out there. I have dropped it in a hot whirlpool and on concrete floor and it just keeps on working. It was and still is one of the few players that support folders. Since I listen to different type of music, I just make a folder for each type and put them in the player and it recognizes the folders without problem. I can switch between Fm radio and MP3 without without having to go through the menu system like so many players today require you to do. I bought and returned a bunch of current mp3 players such as the sandisk 4gb and a rio sport mp3. I tell you, they don't make them like they used to.
My play can do everything yours does cept for upgrading memory, but its already 5 gigs. Who listens to radio anymore?

SheepStar

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have a ZenMicro Photo. It has 8 GB of storage and a color OLED screen. I absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yeah, the Ipod is sleek and sexy and the click wheel is probably the best interface ever developed, but the Zen is very close in that regard and offers a lot more.

A removable battery was a big factor in my decision. I can easily replace the battery without voiding the warranty. I can buy an extra battery if I want but I have no need. One charge will last me nearly a week using it several hours a day.

I use it at all times in my car. I haven't turned on the radio since I got my Zen. It fits in my pocket perfectly and doesn't bug me so I have it on me at all times along with my headphones. It also doubles as a thumb drive for storing files and accessing them on any PC.

I also like the custom graphic equalizer. I have found it to be quite usefull and it has breathed new life into my inexpensive Sennheiser earbuds. I have put off my purchase of Shure or Etymotic earbuds because of the custom EQ on the Zen.

The recording feature is surprisingly decent. I have recorded jam sessions and concerts and the quality is surprisingly good for that little pin hole mic. It's not hi fi but it's plenty listenable on the go.

The number one reason I went Zen? WMA support! Nearly all of the download services use WMA. The Ipod is not compatible with any of them. My Napster subscription would mean nothing if I had an Ipod and I would have to convert all 16 GB of music on my hard drive from WMA to the (inferior) MP3 format.

With WMA at 192k there is no reason to pop in a CD. I can't hear a difference and I bet anyone would be hard pressed to differentiate between 192k WMA and the original CD. I hook my Zen up to my home system and get better sound quality then I do through the digital connection from my PC.

ZenMicro is the way to go!

Last edited:
S

Sinsemilla

Audioholic Intern
Sheep, how are the headphones that come with the Creative MP3 players.. I would mostly use it when I go running or am at the gym, would they stay in place, or would I need something different for that?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Sennheiser just came out with a new IEM model, cx-300. From the reviews I've read, they sound very good, and offers some decent noise isolation properties.

The only thing is, on amazon, the price went up from $40 when they initially came out, to almost $60 right now. I would wait a few months to see if the price would come down a bit, and then purchase a pair.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Currently I'm using a pair of inexpensive Sony earbuds for everyday listening, and a pair of Etymotics ER4S for when listening on the bus or when I'm trying to block out outside noise.

The bass is a bit lean on the ER4S, and there is noticeable microphonics with the cable when I'm moving around. But otherwise the sound from the ER4S is excellent.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't know they came out with those! I just have the cheap MX earbuds. Have you ever heard the Shure or Etymotic earbuds? How do they compare? The price of the Sennheisers is attractive even at $60.

EDIT: I see you haven't listened to the Sennheisers.

Last edited:
furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I have a pair of Sennheiser mx 500, it's just that I misplaced them last year, and I still haven't been able to find them to this day (I know they are inside my apartment somewhere).:p

For non earbud listening/casual inhouse listening, I use a pair of Sennheiser PX100.

For critical listening, I use a pair of Sony MDR-SA500 hooked up to my stereo preamp.

For mobile listening, I interchangeably use a pair of cheap Sony earbuds and Etymotics ER-4S.

I lik the Etymotics ER-4S. They offer very good noise isolation. They are the only IEMs that I've found that I can tolerate to listen to on an airplane. Even with the ER-4S, I can still hear the engine rumble, but the noise is substantially less.

ER-4S also has a very lively sound, very fast transient response. But a bit lean on the bass.

The Sony MDR-SA500 is like a pair of ER-4S on steroids plus some serious bass drums.:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis