Mozart, high quality rendition, serenade No. 13

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Friends,

Any recommendations for Mozart's Serenade No. 13? I'm OK with a collection.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't have any quality Mozart tracks among my classical music and wanted to get some opinions on great recordings/performances before blindly purchasing from HDtracks.com

Thanks!

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Thanks - that's an excellent web site!

Any suggestions on a CD/track that's been recorded as an exceptional example of high fidelity?

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
That work is arguably his most recognizable - you should be able to sample a few versions of it... And a lot more
Quality stuff composed by him.
Considering his short time with us, he was amazingly productive!
Cheers, Mac

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Friends,

Any recommendations for Mozart's Serenade No. 13? I'm OK with a collection.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't have any quality Mozart tracks among my classical music and wanted to get some opinions on great recordings/performances before blindly purchasing from HDtracks.com

Thanks!
This work has been recorded often. There is little incentive for new recordings. You want to avoid big symphony orchestra recordings. This is a chamber work and to really bring it off requires i tight knit group like the ASMF.

This is a work therefore with a lot of recordings and the vast majority bad ones.

I will give you three recommendations in no particular order of preference.

1). Sir Neville Mariner. This is the genre in which he excels and has recorded it a number of times with the ASMF.

You also have this coupling form Sir Neville.

2). The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. This is a tightly knit conductor less chamber orchestra.

3). Christopher Hogwood with the Academy if Ancient Music.

If you want a digital recording then either the first Mariner recording I listed, or the Orpheus recording is your choice. However I think the second Mariner recording has the best couplings. It is a fine analog recording and there is nothing wrong with them. This is one of my versions of this piece and I have it on LP.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Dr. Mark,

I knew you'd have some insight into this; thanks! I've ordered the Orpheus recording and the 2nd Mariner.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Dr. Mark,

I knew you'd have some insight into this; thanks! I've ordered the Orpheus recording and the 2nd Mariner.
Good choice. I was just about to recommend the Orpheus recording.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis