Moving from Plasma to something new before long...

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Good afternoon all,

I have a question regarding TV's. It has been a long time since researching TV's so I figured I would start here. I am still rocking a 6 year old Samsung PN64D550C1FXZA 64" 1080p Plasma that is still working great however it's getting time to change things up. I have sold all of my home theater equipment for a simple soundbar setup (have a rescue dog and a baby...just didn't use it) and with the money from selling off all the audio equipment, we bought a really nice whole wall media center, a yamaha yas-203 and have about $2k leftover to put towards a new TV. We will then sell the only plasma for $3-400 or so that will offset the difference a little more.

Every time I move up in TV, I go a little bigger. My new media center will allow up to a 75" with about 4" all the way around...so why not just jump all the way up to a 75" 4K right? Here is my dilemma. I don't need a new TV. It still has a great picture and is only used as a monitor. I don't own any 4k content so it's not like something I really need to do so I don't want to drop $5k on a new TV. For that reason, I started eying the 2015 model Samsung UN75JU7100 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV. Those could be had for as low as $2400 which after I part with my old TV, will personally cost me next to nothing. I know my current TV is getting old-ish and there is newer better stuff out there however I just wanted to ask you all, given my situation, it is a valid swap between the two? The 2016 model, the 9000 series, is much nicer however those are well into the $4k range and I just can't justify that kind of expense when it's not really necessary.

Anywho, spread your knowledge upon me!

Thanks!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you are used to a Plasma then you'll need to make sure the transition to LCD will make you happy. There is a difference in the way an LCD looks compared to a Plasma. Everyone's eyes are different so I'd demo one at a good retailer before spending the money.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
If you are used to a Plasma then you'll need to make sure the transition to LCD will make you happy. There is a difference in the way an LCD looks compared to a Plasma. Everyone's eyes are different so I'd demo one at a good retailer before spending the money.

Thank you, I have taken a look at it in person several times and I do like it. The only real issue I have heard of from making the switch from plasma to LCD is refresh rate and motion blur however we do not watch many sports to that 'fast across the screen' movement is not a big issue. I was simply asking, aside from that, would it for sure be considered an upgrade to make the move. I know a lot of guys out there swear by their plasmas however for us, it's mostly just dvr'd sitcoms and movies here and there.

I'm not sure if that clarifies anything but I hope it does.

I do appreciate the fast response.

Thanks!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In terms of supporting new standards and "smart TVness" yes it would be an upgrade. As far as a PQ upgrade...I honestly don't know. I'm a "swear by my plasma" guy, but I also got one of the last high end Panasonic units that are pretty hard to match in the PQ department.

Having said that, I'm looking at a Sony 850D 4K TV for my den and I can say that I actually like it quite a bit. Picture was very good for an LCD and price was good too. I looked at the Samsung you are referring to and I've always liked Samsung's build quality so it should be a good unit.

If you really want to test it you can always do a side by side with your current TV before you sell it. That will tell you everything you need to know. I'd calibrate the new LCD first though. In store settings are nothing near accurate for in home viewing.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I agree with you 100% there. My current TV is not going anywhere until I am convinced the new unit is actually better. Honestly, the plasma is worth so little, I would prefer to keep it however I have nowhere to put it. I could always slap it on the wall in my at my office :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis