Movies With Disturbing Endings

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Two movies that come to mind where the good guys don't win are Arlington Road and The Talented Mr. Ripley.

What are some others?

B

Big Jake

Junior Audioholic
Not a movie, but the recent mini series on tv, 'Wayward Pines', the conclusion was on last night and I thought it was very disappointing, even lame, like they ran out of money and/or ideas.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors. LQ Jones' A Boy and His Dog. Swimming With the Sharks. Igmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers. Those are some movies with some really dark endings.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Gone Girl - One of the most unsatisfying endings I think I've ever seen.

And I agree about that Wayward Pines finale but, with M Night Shamwhatever in charge, I should not be surprised.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Yup. I was stunned when she dropped that diamond into the water thinking only of herself when she could have provided for her family.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Million Dollar Baby comes to mind for this genre.
Well yeah, but I didn't see it as a disturbing ending. I saw it as an act of love by someone that respected her sane, at least my POV, desire to end her life with a measure of dignity and on her own terms.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well yeah, but I didn't see it as a disturbing ending. I saw it as an act of love by someone that respected her sane, at least my POV, desire to end her life with a measure of dignity and on her own terms.
I'm not referring to that particular act, so much as her overall plight at the end of the movie.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Knowing. The Nicholas Cage movie. Really dumb, but somehow engaging nonetheless.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448011/
Knowing basically has a happy ending. I would not call that a disturbing ending. If you want a disaster movie which simply has a depressing ending, watch Testament or Threads. Either are far more bleak than Knowing.

But for 'disturbing', give me a movie where evil genuinely prevails. Here are a few more doozies: John Frankenheimer's Seconds, The Vanishing (original, not remake), Martyrs, and Inside.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Saw ex Machina last week. Though that movie had a disturbing ending though it was great overall!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Knowing basically has a happy ending. I would not call that a disturbing ending. If you want a disaster movie which simply has a depressing ending, watch Testament or Threads. Either are far more bleak than Knowing.

But for 'disturbing', give me a movie where evil genuinely prevails. Here are a few more doozies: John Frankenheimer's Seconds, The Vanishing (original, not remake), Martyrs, and Inside.
You've got to be kidding, Shady. "Everyone Else" except a few kids... remember?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis