Movie Theater Setups...not HT

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Has anybody worked in, installed, or played with a real movie theater (Harkins type)?
I am curious to know how they handle everything (audio).

Everything from receiver, dsp's, cabling, speakers, audio switching/distribution, amps, controls (AMX/Crestron?), etc.

Thanks

Reorx

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I am curious to know because I want to see what might be worthy to incorperate into a HT. To make a HT more professional.

Reorx

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Which would make it...

Reorx said:
I am curious to know because I want to see what might be worthy to incorperate into a HT. To make a HT more professional.Reorx
...what? More difficult to find distributors? More difficult and expensive for repairs? Just plain more expensive?

Some pro gear MAY be a bit more rugged but other than that?

Harkins-type? Again of what significance? Besides, isn't THX the current big deal?

jimHJJ(...just curious...)

Last edited:
R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
by harkins type, I ment size.
So..harkins size. I said this so that people wont confuse movie theater with a in home theater room.
...what? More difficult to find distributors? More difficult and expensive for repairs? Just plain more expensive?
Some pro gear MAY be a bit more rugged but other than that?
I am not worried about finding distributors, or expense of repairs yet. Most of my equipment is already pro gear.
Just a few specific questions...

So how do the theaters distribute audio to 10+ speakers?
You could run them in parallel I suppose, but wouldnt you lose some of the surround sound quality?
What kind of speakers do they use? are they full range? 20hz-20khz? 1000watt RMS? 2/4/6/8ohms?
What kind of amps do they use? specs?
What cabling and interconnects do they use? 10/12/14ga, with NL4/banana's?
How do the theaters deal with 300+ ft cable runs, and keep things insync with the picture?
Do theaters even use receivers or do they use some specialized processing boards?

Reorx

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Jaxvon is correct. JBL carries just about everything needed to set up the sound in a movie theater. Check out the thread.

http://www.jblpro.com/cinema/5000.htm

Whats amazing is the Hz response is nowhere near what they are in our own HT setups.

For large (1,200 seats) theaters
Frequency Range: 35 Hz to 16 kHz (-10 dB)
Frequency Response: 45 Hz to 12.5 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Horizontal Coverage Angle: 80°, averaged 300 Hz to 16 kHz (-6dB)
Vertical Coverage Angle: 45°, averaged 300 Hz to 16 kHz (-6dB)
Maximum Output: 117dB-SPL @ 10 m

I got to see the speakers behind an IMAX setup. All I could say was "holly $hit."

Last edited:
R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Great link.
My center channel is right in line with those systems.
It would be interesting though...to hear a comparison between the JBL THX sub's and SVS's top of the line. I'm sure the SVS will look prettier...but my system isnt about looks at the moment.

Some of the subs get down to 22hz.
http://www.jblpro.com/cinema/subwoofers.htm

Reorx

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The issue here is about space. THX standard only specifies that a subwoofer get down to 25Hz. Also, those subwoofers need to fill a huge space. Your HT is a smaller area, so you're better off with a subwoofer that can do subsonic bass.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I think the JBL subwoofer will hit subsonic, if its in a normal House-room. Its 22hz at -3, and thats not in-room, and the room is much smaller.

And those 5000series speakers are not that small. As a matter of fact, they are HUGE!!!!!. The Famous Players theaters in canada all use 5000series speakers, and 4000seires subs. And the jsut those plain M&K looking speakers for the side and rear surrounds.

Sheepstar

Last edited:
Z

zilla

Junior Audioholic
Reorx said:
Great link.
My center channel is right in line with those systems.
It would be interesting though...to hear a comparison between the JBL THX sub's and SVS's top of the line. I'm sure the SVS will look prettier...but my system isnt about looks at the moment.

Some of the subs get down to 22hz.
http://www.jblpro.com/cinema/subwoofers.htm

Reorx
Can you picture the amount of air dual 18"s would move? Talk about shaking the house with bass :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You know, that sub looks a lot like a design I saw before....only the other one was more expensive.

JBL:

Wilson:

Of course the Wilson has a more rigid enclosure, but one has to wonder...is it THAT much better?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'd take the JBL. I KNOW what is sounds like :)

Sheepstar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
I'd take the JBL. I KNOW what is sounds like :)

Sheepstar
...or you can go with the latest and greatest designs...

G

genesound

Enthusiast
I don't know about regular theatres, but I've worked in the Directors Guild theatre in L.A. several times a year for the last 10 years. It's currently all JBL speakers, all bi-amped, processed and eqd by Dolby. There are 5 huge systems behind the screen; L-L.extra-C-R.extra-R, and the subs pretty much go clear across the screen. It's all wired on Neutrik NL4s with 10 Gauge wire I think. The Amps (forgot the brand) are behind the screen for all the fronts, and are supplied A.C. by separate 20A breakers for each channel, and 2 for the subs. I'm not sure where the surround amps are, but they're not behind the screen. There are 3 or 4 surrounds per side and 2 rears. Also there are Durroughs meters that read the output of the amps in the booth to aid in setup.

Playback sources include DVD audio for film, multitrack, mag, and optical, all controlled from the Dolby processor. There is also a large patch bay where external sources can be injected or PB feeds can be obtained.

I heard part of Saving Private Ryan during "Meet the Nominees" for the DGA award, totally mind blowingly awesome. :D

S

satish536

Audioholic
Own A Movie Theater

Well i own a Movie Theater but im a beginnner cant really answer your detailed questions but will just let you know the basic what i know of my movie theater :-

In the cabin < That is where the movie is run from>
What I see is are 2 projectors , both have DTS Timecode Readers < They read the DTS timecode of the real and play it in sync with the audio which is on a CD.

On the audio front
They have a DTS Reader/Decoder i think
http://www.dts.com/cinema/products.php?ID=732456313

They are seperate QSC Power Amplifiers i think, 7 of them if i remember right

One each for the JBL stage Left/Right/Center
One each for the Eminence Left/Right Surround channels< About Ten speakers on each side>
One each for the two Sub Woofers

Maybe im missing something as i dont remember right ??? Let me Know if i went wrong somewhere

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
The Amps (forgot the brand) are behind the screen for all the fronts, and are supplied A.C. by separate 20A breakers for each channel, and 2 for the subs. -genesound
Geeze, can you imagine what the electric bill must be? Oh well, you can't really put a price on pure theater xtc.

DTS-6D Digital Playback System is interesting. I'll have to read up on it more in the morning.

Thx for the feedback.

Reorx

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis