Mounting a Plasma, missing screws?

T

TMack37

Enthusiast
I have a Panasonic TC-P42S1, and I'm trying to attach it to a universal mount on my new a/v stand, but none of the screws that came with the stand seem to fit in the wall mounting holes in the back of the display. I bought the display as an open box item and it didn't seem like anything was missing, but does anyone know if these screws are supposed to come with the display unit or with the mount? I would really like to get it up on the mount to free up some shelf space on the table.

The stand is an Init NT-WGM1150. Yeah, I will admit to buying it at BestBuy (which is usually not an option for me), but the price was about right and my wife loved it, and we all know how much the wife approval factor comes into play with home theater. The stand is actually really nice, has plenty of space, and helps with wire management a little. I just need to figure out where to look for the screws to mount the display with.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Panasonic TC-P42S1, and I'm trying to attach it to a universal mount on my new a/v stand, but none of the screws that came with the stand seem to fit in the wall mounting holes in the back of the display. I bought the display as an open box item and it didn't seem like anything was missing, but does anyone know if these screws are supposed to come with the display unit or with the mount? I would really like to get it up on the mount to free up some shelf space on the table.

The stand is an Init NT-WGM1150. Yeah, I will admit to buying it at BestBuy (which is usually not an option for me), but the price was about right and my wife loved it, and we all know how much the wife approval factor comes into play with home theater. The stand is actually really nice, has plenty of space, and helps with wire management a little. I just need to figure out where to look for the screws to mount the display with.
You will have to find screws at a good hardware store, or an outlet that specializes in nuts and bolts.

The mounting bolts come with the stand and not the TV. However the bolts are not standard between TVs and manufacturers. You would only get the correct bolts if you bought the Panasonic wall mounting bracket for that TV.

Measure the screw hole and estimate the length. I bet it will be a metric size and thread, and then go and buy the bolts you need. Make sure you buy high quality steel bolts, or your TV will end up on the floor.

There are a huge number of dangerous junk Chinese bolts out there these days, especially in hardware stores, such as ACE etc. If you have a good farm store near you, or a firm that supplies bolts to industry and commerce you will be better off. Farmers and contractors don't usually put up with junk, and I certainly don't.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I had this same problem when I was mounting my projector with a universal mount. I called the Espon and they looked it up in their specs, told me the screw size and length. Picked up what I needed at the hardware store.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
Some TVs also use the base-attachment screws as mounting bolts (Sanyo). But I used the provided ones in the kit because they were longer to account for spacers.

Idea might be to try one of the base screws in the mounting hole - if it fits then you have a lot less random bolt buying as you can pretty much match the bolt up then.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Check your manual for wall mounting. It should indicate which screw to use. Like M-6 or something.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
When you say they won't fit, do you mean the screw diameter is wrong, thread pitch, or is it the screw length?
If the screws are too long, realize that most are meant to be used with a spacer.

I've found most Chinese bolts to have sloppy threads. (at the least)
If it's a matter of them being really close but not threading easily, try a drop or two of WD-40. (just a little, too much oil or lubricant isn't good in this application) You don't want it to drip inside the TV.
See if it will thread by hand. If it wont, you'll have to call Panasonic for proper a bolt size.

T

TMack37

Enthusiast
All set now. The manual for the display doesn't specify anything for wall-mounting (probably an attempt to get people to buy the branded Panasonic mounts), but the support web site specified M8 x 1.25mm bolts, which I was able to find pretty easily. They weren't included with the stand for some reason, but I'm willing to overlook that since it only set me back another buck to get them separately. Thanks guys!

V

vnappen

Audiophyte
The Panasonic Viera 42 inch plasma television, TC-P42S1 takes 4 galvanized steel M8 1.25mm 30mm length bolts with course NOT metric threads to put the wall mount brackets on.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The Panasonic Viera 42 inch plasma television, TC-P42S1 takes 4 galvanized steel M8 1.25mm 30mm length bolts with course NOT metric threads to put the wall mount brackets on.
To anyone mounting this TV or any Japanese TV.
Ignore the post above. Not only is it responding to a three year old thread.
It's also completely wrong.

The M8 bolt you mention, (is metric) not coarse thread or NC.
The "M" means metric and the "8" the bolt diameter in mm.
Why would anyone use a galvanized bolt indoors on a TV, as you suggest?
By following your incorrect advice, someone could potentially strip the threads in their TV and be SOL trying to wall mount it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis