Motion10 vs. Aperion Intimus 4T

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Hi everyone -

Trying to decide on how to upgrade my current all in-ceiling 5.1 setup. Don't want to spend ridiculous $$, as this is a family room setup, not a dedicated home theater, but I'd like something that drives both music and movies equally well. I'm going to keep my Jamo in-ceilings as the surrounds, but would like a truer soundstage for L, R and center channels. Heard the ML Motion10s at a Magnolia nearby, and while I didn't spend hours analyzing them, I did like what I heard. Have also seen good reviews on the Intimus 4T model, but I haven't heard them anywhere.

Any thoughts on 1 vs the other of these? I'm not locked in to these models if you have recommendations for something around the same price range (can spend a little more but not looking to go nuts). Aesthetically, I'd like these to blend into the background much more than I want them to make any sort of statement on their own.

FYI, I'm driving these with a Denon 2809ci...

Thanks!

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I was intrigued by the tweeter and excited to listen at my local best buy. However the towers didn't do it for me, I thought they were too bright. The bookshelves sounded better to my ears, but I wasn't sure if that was due to placement high on a shelf.

I was interested that the measurements in this review match what I was hearing :
Test Report: Martin Logan Motion Series Speakers | Sound and Vision Magazine

That's just my opinion though, you are the one that will be listening so if you like what you hear why not? BTW that line is discontinued and at closeout prices a number of places like Amazon and Newegg.

The Aperions have gotten good reviews but I haven't personally heard them.

Infinity Primus is a budget favorite around here. If you live near a Fry's I think they still carry them.

What size is your room and what is your budget? (not sure what they are going for at BB) We might be able to make better suggestions with a little more info.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Room is 18 X 20 - typical family room setup. Want to stay under $2K for left, right and center speakers.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Room is 18 X 20 - typical family room setup. Want to stay under $2K for left, right and center speakers.
I've been really happy with my Arx speakers A3 towers and A2 center would come in under your budget. I actually replaced much more expensive speakers with these.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I haven't hear Aperion but they have gotten good reviews. You might think about going with a larger tower, the 5T & 5C. Or even the Verus Forte.

Ascend is another ID brand that gets love on the net, but their towers would take up your whole budget.

NHT sells both ID and through BM stores. I haven't heard any of their latest offerings but I have liked previous models.

SVS, Emptek and Emotiva are yet more ID brands with speakers in your price range.

I haven't heard ARX, but there's a dearth of independent reviews and measurements.

If you prefer to listen before you buy Paradigm, PSB, KEF, Monitor Audio would all be worth a listen. I don't care for any Polks except the LSi, and those I would get through Polk's ebay store, and they probably wouldn't be properly powered by your receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis