Most Musical Subwoofer

S

SubCub

I have heard (and read) that Rel subwoofers are very musical. That they are up there with Vandersteen and Bag End subs while all others fall short. By musical, one would assume tight, fast, clean, deep bass but not loud and rattling boomy sound.

I'm on the market for a subwoofer and I would like to use this 50% music & 50% ht. Due to space limitations, this sub has to be subcompact and would be placed behind the TV so it needs magnetic shielding. The smaller the sub the better (13" cube max). I live in a condo so I do not want loud booming sound that would disturb the neighbors but musicality is key. I have eliminated Sunfire from the selection and my budget goes below $800 so the ML Grotto is out as well as the Paradigm Seismic 10. I'd like to know what you think of the following subs and if you can refer me to a review or a shootout comparing them I would appreciate it.

Velodyne SPL-800 Series II
Rel Q108E
Rel Stampede
MJ Acoustics Reference 100
Definitive Technology Supercube II

U

Unregistered

Musical Sub

I have a HSU STF-2 and am very pleased with the sound. I'm also as much interested in music as HT and it does great. You might also want to check out the current HT Magazine review of the Outlaw sub, they feel it's very musical and a steal at the price. BTW- Dr. Hsu helped design it. The STF-2 is an overachiever at $400, it shakes the floor during action movies, yet I can hear the overtones in a double bass jazz riff.

U

Unregistered

ACI subs are offer a similar level of performce to the REL's for less money.

The Force, Titan, and Maestro are built like tanks; and although more than a comparable Hsu, many feel they are worth the extra cost.

Check it out at: www.audioc.com

In the sub section, you'll find a chart comparing ACI to the REL's.

S

Stefan

Enthusiast
I recently purchased a Velodyne SPL1000-II. I assume that the 800 will sound very similar to the 1000. I really like the sound of this sub, I do tend towards HT, I probably listen 80% HT, 20% music. My previous sub was a JBL PB series which was a lot less tight and accurate, I can really hear the difference when playing music.
However I think that placement of the sub and proper settings of volume levels will also make quite a difference in how the sub will sound. I spent quite a bit of time getting the sub to sound right and experimented a lot with the placement. At first I had it tucked in a corner but that made it sound overwhelmingly booming. I have the same space considerations (that is why I went for the Velodyne in the first place) so the corner placement would have been ideal for space considerations. I ended up moving it away from the corner, next to one of my mains and it now sounds very impressive. The bass is always there, subtle but forceful when needed. So far I am very happy with the sound of this sub.

You mention magnetic shielding, the 1000 and 1200 are shielded but from reading the specs, the 800 is not so make sure to double check on that.

If at all possible try to audition the subs at home before making the purchase. This way you can see which one fits your speakers, room and musical taste.

Happy shopping!

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
I also suggest that you at least give the Yamaha YST-SW800 and 1500 an audition, they are very controlled tight subs that go well for music and do a fairly good job on HT although for super HT duty I would lean towards Velodyne, Def Tech etc.

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
I am an owner of a REL (Strata II) and have enjoyed it immensely in the time that I have had it. It is used exclusively in my two-channel set-up where it augments a pair of B&W loudspeakers.

I would look at the Strata III or V as they are both reasonably small, have separate internal crossovers (one each for Audio and HT) and the Strata V has a remote to allow adjustments from the comfort of your listening position. I am saving my pennies for this one.

If you are looking for a sub to “impress your friends and blow out matches, shake your pant legs or stun small animals”*, then stay away from REL. If you want a sub that extends the range of your primary speakers, give them a listen. You may just end up be another happy REL owner.

*This was from an actual ad in an audio magazine from the early ‘80’s for a company selling a sub-woofer. Name withheld to protect the guilty party.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis