MOSFET power amplifier modifications....

S

SafeandSound

Enthusiast
I recently took a power amplifier that a friend recommnended, typically it was for PA purposes but with very good specifications, 250Watts per channel into 4 Ohms. I have been hacking away at it as I have a little knowledge in electronics.

I replaced all the electronlytics capacitors with Panasonic, Vishay and also changed some of the ceramic capacitors to high stability types, I changed and opamp in the input buffer to an LM4562 from a 5532. I am on the cusp of trying it out on my PMC monitors. I just need to replace a burnt out varistor on the mains board.(I will test it on some cheaper speakers first just in case there are any issues) the amplifier sounded as good as a NAD power amplifier I had been using previously which is a good sign. So now with the changes I am looking forwards to hearing it.

It can be very rewarding if you are prepared to learn and use a soldering iron.

cheers

S

SafeandSound

Enthusiast
Will do, I see you have a Crown macrotech amp, chunky amps, I love how these amps look, like they should be inside a tank !

They sound great I have seen them installed on many a PA system to exceptional effect.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Will do, I see you have a Crown macrotech amp, chunky amps, I love how these amps look, like they should be inside a tank!

They sound great I have seen them installed on many a PA system to exceptional effect.
I don't own. I missed one for $200 on Clist about a week ago:mad: I have installed them in the past. Along with the D and PS series just a great timeless design.

S

SafeandSound

Enthusiast
Sure they are good amps. I am still obtaining a few varistors (they stop nuisance fuse blows when switching an amp on). having trouble getting them but found them in a shop called farnell here in UK.

Cannot wait to fire it up and give the PMC IB1's some MOSFET love !

I have been reading the Behringer A500 thread with interest and their name is muck in the Pro audio industry. Curious as to how they sound.

cheers, will report back when components installed

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis