More info on HDTVs requested

RJB

RJB

Audioholic
I am looking to finish off my home theatre, all that's left is the big screen purchase and therein lies the problem.

There seems to be a lack of current HDTV reviews around here, I love this site apart from that, so I am looking for suggestions on where to find unbiased reviews on the various makes & models. My web searches have not been overly successful so far, too many manufacturer sponsored sites or sites you have to pay to subscribe to.

Any advice or pointers in other directions will be greatly appreciated!

C

cyiu23

Enthusiast
I know what you mean. I was trying to find a site like Audioholics that specialized on HDTVs, but I can't find any. I am still looking for a tv, but just don't want to waste my money buying expensive crap. I go into Bestbuy, and Circuit City, and I see the flaws in their tvs(rainbow effects, pixelation or blurry pictures). And when I ask if it was the tvs or just the way they are set up, no one has an answer. Ok enough ranting. Let me know if you find a good site. Laters.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
All I know is that my Sony is BEAUTIFUL. Check out their KP-51WS500 if you can find it. They may have a newer version of it out now.

It look like this.

Paul

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
Never did find one good site. I typically just ran Google searches on models I found interesting and sorted through the chaff. HDTVoice.com has a section on specific HDTV manufacturers and you can start threads asking about specific models. You will get a lot of comments but no authoritative reviews. Even so, the comments can be helpful.

B

bbakken82

Audioholic Intern
reviews

It sounds like you guys are shopping at the wrong retailers. Best Buy and CC dont have the sharpest tools in the toolshed working for them. There are always better places to shop and places where you might actually run into someone who actually knows the difference between dlp, lcd pro, lcd, plasma, crt, and lcos. I understand that the views of the salesperson you talk to might be skewed by the assortment of hdtvs that he sells but usually if you go to a place like Ultimate Electronics you are better off.
There are so many different tv technologies on the market right now and it has never been more confusing. In my opinion the best technology on the market right now is DLP. There is ALMOST no other tv that can match it dollar for dollar and literally pound for pound in picture quality, color reproduction, and image depth. There are several manufactures that use the Dlp technology, but all Dlp technology is licensed from Texas Instruments. I have seen every one of the Dlp tv's this year and in my estimation there is no better Dlp than the Mitsubishi. It uses the BEST Dlp chip(hd2+) and it has more features than any others(not to mention the best picture by far).

If you are looking for actual reviews try Sound & Vision magazine. I have read several reviews there myself.

ONE MORE THING.
Dont listen to the people that try to scare you away from the DLP by talking about the rainbow effect. I have showed thousands of customers these tv's over the past couple years and I have had a total of two customers ever see the rainbow effect. Both of those customers saw it on the older Dlp versions and Manufactures have taken steps to eliminate it on the 2005 models. In the 6 months the new models have been out I have never had a customer see the "rainbow effect". So dont let the fact that someone else sees it discourage you from purchasing this type of tv. IF YOU DONT SEE IT IN THE SHOWROOM, YOU WILL NOT SEE IT IN YOUR HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis