Monster THX Speakers??

C

ceelos

Audiophyte
Has anyone reviewed these speakers? I have some polk RTi10's and love the look and sound of them but, I heard these "monster" speakers at my neighbor's house and enjoyed the sound quality. Any pros or cons on them?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah i saw these about 6 months ago and wondered about their sound. They sure look nice, but probably cost an arm and a leg.

SheepStar

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
So... whats the diff between their Bass Module and their Subwoofer? (performance wise, asthetically they are quite diff).

At leat they look nice.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Acording to the Monster website:
Monster® THX™ Tower Bass Module 200
High-performance, THX Select-certified Tower Base Modules offers excellent performance of low frequencies up to 20Hz.

If it goes UP to 20Hz I guess it's a sub-subwoofer.

Remember that THX doesn't certify "sound" they just make sure it has a particular off-axis response and that it has a frequency response in a particular pass band that is +/- a particular amount (can you tell I've been well-trained not to divulge specifics?) :)

They verify other things as well, but you get the idea. These speakers may sound great, and they may not. The real question is do they sound good for the price? We'll have to be optomistic and see.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Clint DeBoer said:
Remember that THX doesn't certify "sound" they just make sure it has a particular off-axis response and that it has a frequency response in a particular pass band that is +/- a particular amount (can you tell I've been well-trained not to divulge specifics?) :)

They verify other things as well, but you get the idea. These speakers may sound great, and they may not. The real question is do they sound good for the price? We'll have to be optomistic and see.

The "and see" part gets me thinking you are going ot review them....:)

SheepStar

T

ttowntony

Enthusiast
I usually just lurk and don't reply on this forum, but this is twice in one night. I'm bored tonight. :D

I have actually heard these. I spent roughly 15-20 minutes with them powered by the Denon AVR5805. For HT, they sounded pretty impressive and had no problems filling the very large theater showroom they were in. The bass modules and MTM's mated pretty well together; and sounded very crisp, clear, with quite a bit of slam. They look pretty nice as well. The sub is the only thing I think was priced out of whack. It was definitely boomy and sounded a bit out of place. Probably was not calibrated for the rest of the setup.

I'm not a Monster basher like most. You either choose to believe all that is said on these forums (I don't and really don't care either way) or you don't. I have a couple of their cables and a surge protector. I'm happy with them. I also have Kimber, Cobalt, and Liberty cables....don't have much brand loyalty. If you don't like Monster, then don't buy them. Seems pretty simple to me. Anyway, I liked their speakers for HT.....I'm not sure for music as I didn't get a chance to audition.

I'll shut up now...... ;)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think anyone here has a beef with Monster quality. I know that their stuff isn't crap (like Bose). However, what I do have a beef with is the cost of their products. Unless you purchase them on eBay or a reasonably priced online retailer, you get reamed, especially at a place like Best(worst) Buy. You aren't going to be paying for garbage with Monster, but you can spend much less money and get equal performance out of something else.

T

ttowntony

Enthusiast
The cables industry as a whole is rediculous. Picking on Monster because of their prices is kinda cheezy. If you don't like their prices, then don't buy them. I never hear anyone complain about $1K Nordost cables.......talk about rediculous. Look inside your speakers sometime and see the cables used. Makes you wonder why you go and spend what you do on cables. Ebay is a great place to buy cables and save some money if you just have to have something expensive. I do agree lesser priced cables sound just as good if not exactly the same as higher priced cables. I don't believe the hype. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis